The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Help, please:Cool stuff/Easter eggs to look for???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
Glad you got do see it again and report back.

Perhaps Spock was working on reinstatement or something because he had resigned his commission. I know, I know. I'm reaching!

Regarding medals, yeah. Spock was already considered highly distinguished so I'm sure he was well medaled once he rejoined the service.
~
I didn't get the impression he'd resigned from Starfleet- just his command position of captain. And, when he returned to the bridge, being of sound mind, he returned to his position of First Officer. At any rate, under the circumstances, I don't think anyone, including McCoy or Kirk, would try to say he was still unfit for duty.

As for not being at the ceremony, the whole episode of losing his mother, planet, home, etc followed by what happened on the Enterprise with Kirk, would be difficult for anyone. He might have needed some time alone- understandable. Or, he might have been away dealing with the displaced Vulcans.

In the book, Kirk doesn't fill the First Officer/Science position because he was hoping Spock would take it. Doesn't say he'd offered it or they'd discussed it, though. He's surprised when Spock walks in. Again, maybe Spock just had to come to terms with himself and everything that had happened before he could move on.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Lieutenant

it was stated in dialogue he resigned his commission, that's resigning from starfleet. no quibbles with the rest though
Old 06-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
it was stated in dialogue he resigned his commission, that's resigning from starfleet. no quibbles with the rest though
Thanks. I didn't hear exactly what he said in the movie...too exhausted from watching that whole scene, I guess!

Anyway, I doubt if StarFleet would even accept it, other than to acknowledge Kirk's taking over legally, seeing as how Spock saved Earth, etc.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Lieutenant

the thing is, if a navy captain, or even someone of lower rank that is placed in command after being trained for it, resigns his commision because he can't handle being a captain, he will never command anything or get another promotion ever again, or get his commission back
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
the thing is, if a navy captain, or even someone of lower rank that is placed in command after being trained for it, resigns his commision because he can't handle being a captain, he will never command anything or get another promotion ever again, or get his commission back
You're right....in our world. But, Star Fleet seems to work a bit differently, doesn't it! I mean, Kirk is on academic suspension and is smuggled aboard, made First Officer despite this, starts a fight on the bridge, is insubordinate to his commanding officer, among other things.... Yet, he is singled out as the hero, given a medal, and promoted from Ensign (or maybe even just midshipman) directly to Captain!

I hardly think they will chuck Spock out!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Ensign

The tribble is in a cage behind Scotty when he asks Kirk and Spock for sandwiches.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Lieutenant

I wonder if the guy sitting silently in the bar between Uhura and Kirk was something that Abrams added or something that Orci, Kurzman and/or Lindelof came up with... in interview with Abrams, the interviewer mentioned him as a Star Wars-like element... But he was so much like Morn from DS9!

Last edited by DevilEyes : 06-02-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
I wonder if the guy sitting silently in the bar between Uhura and Kirk was something that Abrams added or something that Orci, Kurzman and/or Lindelof came up with
I was suspecting that was a secret Shatner cameo since he kept shaking his head back and forth. That would have been a hilarious cameo.
But the credits say it isn't so.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafan View Post
The tribble is in a cage behind Scotty when he asks Kirk and Spock for sandwiches.
Yes, and I heard his trilling!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Lieutenant

I really liked that guy at the bar...and I loved the way he seemed to be amused by Kirk coming on to Uhura. A lot of effort went into the makeup- so interesting looking.