The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Help, please:Cool stuff/Easter eggs to look for???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Lieutenant

Default Help, please:Cool stuff/Easter eggs to look for???

I'm planning to see the movie for the 4th time soon , and this time I want to concentrate on looking for hidden stuff. So far, I have this list:
-listen for the tribbles
-look for the tears on Spock's left and right cheeks
-look for McCoy, Uhura, and others in the audience when Kirk gets promoted from Ensign to Captain (don't get me started!) BTW, I did not see young Spock in that scene, so I'm assuming he didn't go.

Can anyone suggest more? I enjoy finding little details. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Tears? When! I guess I have to go again.

I looked for Spock and he wasn't there. It was strange to me that Kirk didn't look for him. I found it weird since I had completely bought into them as them. Where does Jim Kirk look first all the time? It's not a slash thing, it's fact. So yeah, I missed that.
~
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
Tears? When! I guess I have to go again.

I looked for Spock and he wasn't there. It was strange to me that Kirk didn't look for him. I found it weird since I had completely bought into them as them. Where does Jim Kirk look first all the time? It's not a slash thing, it's fact. So yeah, I missed that.
~
There's just a glisten or two on his left cheek after he lifts his head from Uhura's shoulder and she touches his face- I think it is when he's telling her what he needs. AyanEva found the one on his right cheek the last time she went, so I have to look for that one.

No, I don't think Spock was there, either. I didn't see him among the grey suits, and I think the camera would have lingered on him, if he were. Now I have to watch to see where Kirk looked first...but I think I know.

Last edited by Kiko Kea : 06-02-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Lieutenant

Ah, well.....nobody has any ideas.

Just talked my best friend into going to see it this morning, so I'll just see what I can see.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
There's just a glisten or two on his left cheek after he lifts his head from Uhura's shoulder and she touches his face- I think it is when he's telling her what he needs. AyanEva found the one on his right cheek the last time she went, so I have to look for that one.

No, I don't think Spock was there, either. I didn't see him among the grey suits, and I think the camera would have lingered on him, if he were. Now I have to watch to see where Kirk looked first...but I think I know.
Wow, in the turbo lift, huh? I would have thought maybe right after transport up from Vulcan or when he went back there and his father followed. I will have to check.

Now you have to watch 1st season TOS. He does it a lot. I haven't re-watched 2nd season. It's been many years. But I recently watched the 1st season re-masters and was very surprised to see that yes, he looks at Spock with great fondness. And Spock is the first person he looks at on the bridge. They were great friends.

I think it is a shame you don't see this on modern TV. It's like everyone freaked out over BS stigma. I hope the world has changed enough for people to accept that men can be friends and might express it.

ANYWAY, I expected an interaction in the medal scene. I can't think of a good reason for Spock not to be there other than the actor not being able to make the shoot.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Ah, well.....nobody has any ideas.

Just talked my best friend into going to see it this morning, so I'll just see what I can see.
LOL

We are so bad!

I don't recall that he looks at anyone but Pike in the scene. And they don't linger on the crew that I recall. It's just a quick shot. Maybe if Spock had been there it would have been stranger if they didn't, so they chose to just eliminate it altogether. Either way I think it's off.
~
Old 06-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Intercom is TOS button sound, Pike whistles the TOS intercom sound, "universe ending paradoxes" -> BTTF2, Pike wears TMP-style uniform, Red matter acts like Klingon blood, IDIC in the Jellyfish cockpit, T'Plana Hath in Narada shuttlebay.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Lieutenant

Well, I have to say that was the worst screen I've watched a movie on in a long, long time- and small, at that! It looked like someone took a mop to the center of it. Added to it, it wasn't stadium seating and the picture was not exactly crisp and clear...but I enjoyed it anyway. I'll have to wait for the DVD for the tears- I only saw one. THe picture was just too fuzzy.

Heard the tribbles! Caught the intercom sound and "nurse Chapel" comment, too. I'll have to look for the IDIC symbol next time- at a different theater.

You know, the shuttlecraft sounded to me just like Kirk's motorcycle- that odd, whirring sound.

Two other things I noticed: When Spock leaves the bridge after resigning his command and Uhura is looking at him, it appears she mouths/whispers "I love you." The other is a funny moment when Kirk and Spock are battling Quinto's brother and his fellow Romulans. Kirk says he will cover Spock, and Spock responds "Are you sure?"

My friend, having no knowledge of Star Trek other than watching TOS lo these many decades past, thought it was fantastic.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
Wow, in the turbo lift, huh? I would have thought maybe right after transport up from Vulcan or when he went back there and his father followed. I will have to check.

Now you have to watch 1st season TOS. He does it a lot. I haven't re-watched 2nd season. It's been many years. But I recently watched the 1st season re-masters and was very surprised to see that yes, he looks at Spock with great fondness. And Spock is the first person he looks at on the bridge. They were great friends.

I think it is a shame you don't see this on modern TV. It's like everyone freaked out over BS stigma. I hope the world has changed enough for people to accept that men can be friends and might express it.

ANYWAY, I expected an interaction in the medal scene. I can't think of a good reason for Spock not to be there other than the actor not being able to make the shoot.

Kirk looks to McCoy and the gang, it appeared to me..and back at McCoy.

I looked everywhere for Spock and did not see him seated in the audience or on the stand, behind Pike, or on the stand. To me, having Spock there that might be something of an awkward moment- Spock had command, and Kirk took it away. (Yes, I know it was for the good and Spock Prime told him to, but still...)

And, speaking of medals, wouldn't Spock be worthy of receiving one? I mean, he was the one who found and removed the red matter ship, and then sent it on a collision course at the Narada, knowing it would result in his own death.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Kirk looks to McCoy and the gang, it appeared to me..and back at McCoy.

I looked everywhere for Spock and did not see him seated in the audience or on the stand, behind Pike, or on the stand. To me, having Spock there that might be something of an awkward moment- Spock had command, and Kirk took it away. (Yes, I know it was for the good and Spock Prime told him to, but still...)

And, speaking of medals, wouldn't Spock be worthy of receiving one? I mean, he was the one who found and removed the red matter ship, and then sent it on a collision course at the Narada, knowing it would result in his own death.
Glad you got do see it again and report back.

Perhaps Spock was working on reinstatement or something because he had resigned his commission. I know, I know. I'm reaching!

Regarding medals, yeah. Spock was already considered highly distinguished so I'm sure he was well medaled once he rejoined the service.
~