The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Basic plot flaws *Spoilers*
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Rear Admiral

Oh come on! Its not even 'reading between the lines' to assume that Spock has picked up the equipment in one scene that he didn't have in the previous one. Any more than its 'reading between the lines' that say, Pike was given his wheelchair at some medical facility, or that Scottie changed out of his wet clothes into a Starfleet uniform! We saw that Sulu had a folding sword but OMG where'd that come from? Where the hell did Sulu come from? I didn't see him being born! Boy! No evidence competent storytelling there! The example presented above was not one of poor storytelling or bad continuity. Its not like Spock suddenly started shooting heat rays from his eyes!

I do agree storytelling is not what it could and should be in Hollywood (the best still tend to be found in indy films) but even in the best of stories there are zillions of givens and we don't have to mentally twist and contort to accept them anymore than I have to see where my shoes, car and bicycle were manufactured to know that they were.

That we get to apply common sense and intelligence to being entertained is not for me a negative but adds to my enjoyment.

COME ON!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'

Last edited by That Metal Beastie : 06-03-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

Don't try it, TMB, arguing with the nitpickers is just wasted time, perhaps because disliking the movie causes nitpicking, not the other way round.

By the way, it's really not like old Hollywood flicks spelled out everything such that the last dumbass got it. If people want real-time entertainment, they can watch 24 or try to get through Ulysses.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Don't try it, TMB, arguing with the nitpickers is just wasted time, perhaps because disliking the movie causes nitpicking, not the other way round.

By the way, it's really not like old Hollywood flicks spelled out everything such that the last dumbass got it. If people want real-time entertainment, they can watch 24 or try to get through Ulysses.
So true about old Hollywood or great literature. Everything shouldn't be layed out and it would be impossible to do so.

And Joyce's Ulysses? Try Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, my personal favorite novel.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I dont want "Everything" shown in a way that makes it seem like the movie producers think I am stupid. I like to have a movie make me think a little bit.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Oh come on! Its not even 'reading between the lines' to assume that Spock has picked up the equipment in one scene that he didn't have in the previous one. Any more than its 'reading between the lines' that say, Pike was given his wheelchair at some medical facility, or that Scottie changed out of his wet clothes into a Starfleet uniform! We saw that Sulu had a folding sword but OMG where'd that come from? Where the hell did Sulu come from? I didn't see him being born! Boy! No evidence competent storytelling there! The example presented above was not one of poor storytelling or bad continuity. Its not like Spock suddenly started shooting heat rays from his eyes!
Well said! I laughed out loud at "Where the hell did Sulu come from? I didn't see him being born!"
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant

You mean like, "If we go by the book, like Lieutenant Saavik, hours could seem like days..." How dumb would Khan have had to be to fall for that? As dumb as Saavik and that's dumb!

Even, "If we go by the book, like Lieutenant Saavik, repairs are going to run into days..." would have been more subtle. Sheesh
Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Oh, come on, Horatio. Disliking the movie does not cause nitpicking. I actually liked the movie. If I would not have liked the movie, then I would not bother to even waste thoughts about it. Like Generations. I was bored and disappointed by the flick. It had some nice moments, but it was an awfull movie. And I could spend hours nitpicking this and that. The same goes for the Star Wars prequels. I was terribly disappointed by all of them and they where so bad I consider it a complete waste of time to even attempt to argue the plotholes, inconsitencies and problems of these three pieces of Banta Poo. Or Indian Jones Four. This movie sucked so bad, all I did was ranting for a few posts and trying hard to erase the whole thing from my memory.

So, I for my part, analyze the weaknesses of the latest Star Trek movie, simply because I find it phaszinating how all of its part where executed so brilliantly, like the directing, the camera work, the SFX, the set design (for the most part), the lighting, the action, the whole mood and yet... there are so many moments that just dont get together that well.

For me anaylizing this special flick to death has its phaszination, because it tells a lot about how movies are made these days. Its the shortcommings that reveal the magicians tricks.

As I have said here before: You liked the movie? Fine. What else do you have to say about it? Anything that caught your attention for more then the few seconds it was on screen? Anything that keeps rolling arround in your head? Not? Nothing? Well, then apparently it was just a movie you saw, enjoyed and immediatly forgott about.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

I agree with Captain Bombay.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I agree with Captain Bombay.
I like the sound of it. Captain Bombay, nice.