The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > nuTreknology: perfectly simple question.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 AM
JSnyder4's Avatar
JSnyder4 JSnyder4 is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
What you describe might be more representative of actual future technology, but you still have to accomodate the 20th/21st Century mindset of what is familiar to your audience.
Cybertech ala Neuromancer and other Gibson-like depictions of future technology applications are certainly a valid if very niche aspect of sci-fi.

That type of thinking however is actually the antithesis of a basic premise of Trek (at least TOS Trek) which this movie is rebooting via its founding principles. Kirk always fought against the dehumanization and wholesale adoption of technology in lieu of humanity itself, and is evidenced in many episodes - one of the most overt is Ultimate Computer and M-5. Kirk also fought against the "utopia" TNG and later espoused; but that is another topic. This same argument is carried on constantly in the clash between McCoy and Spock.

So while it may be a fair represetation of future techological advancements it ain't Trek; or at least the Trek that is being rebooted.
The human adventure instead of the dehuman adventure.
__________________
"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's... depressing."
"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass"
"A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away"

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Jim in St. Louis's Avatar
Jim in St. Louis Jim in St. Louis is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Why would they need a whole nuther crew member to do nothing but push a button to go to the next picture.
When did I say this other crew member does NOTHING but push a button to go to the next picture? There are probably 1 or 2 other crew members researching the Star Fleet database and current conditions, feeding information to the Science Officer.
__________________
jim

Last edited by Jim in St. Louis : 06-06-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-06-2009, 04:57 AM
The Saint's Avatar
The Saint The Saint is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Cybertech ala Neuromancer and other Gibson-like depictions of future technology applications are certainly a valid if very niche aspect of sci-fi.

That type of thinking however is actually the antithesis of a basic premise of Trek (at least TOS Trek) which this movie is rebooting via its founding principles. Kirk always fought against the dehumanization and wholesale adoption of technology in lieu of humanity itself, and is evidenced in many episodes - one of the most overt is Ultimate Computer and M-5. Kirk also fought against the "utopia" TNG and later espoused; but that is another topic. This same argument is carried on constantly in the clash between McCoy and Spock.

So while it may be a fair represetation of future techological advancements it ain't Trek; or at least the Trek that is being rebooted.
The human adventure instead of the dehuman adventure.
I can see what you're getting at, just don't see how it applies. There's a wide, wide gap between using a neural interface for basic computer input, paired with augmented reality for output, and networking human beings through the system a la the Borg.

Not to mention that AR makes a few of the minor things in TOS actually more plausible, like the way the bridge always knew exactly where to reach Kirk on the intercoms. Neural input routes a request to the computer to show Kirk's location aboard ship. A pair of intra-ocular implants in each bridge officer tie into a shipwide augmented reality network show them a "floating" directional indicator -- they look in that direction and another "floating" icon marks Kirk's location along with a tag showing deck, section, room and distance from the viewer. We the audience need not see any of this -- what we do see is the result, where the audio or video call is routed to Kirk's intercom or desk computer (as opposed to his communicator) without anyone ever being shown having to look up his location in any obvious way.

Although, if they wanted to actually show this process (a la Terminator-vision) in the next film, that'd be pretty kickass.
__________________
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in St. Louis View Post
When did I say this other crew member does NOTHING but push a button to go to the next picture? There are probably 1 or 2 other crew members researching the Star Fleet database and current conditions, feeding information to the Science Officer.
It's called....... 'sarcasm'. You should try it sometime.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Jim in St. Louis's Avatar
Jim in St. Louis Jim in St. Louis is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
It's called....... 'sarcasm'. You should try it sometime.
I just want you to admit that I'm right and your wrong
__________________
jim
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The computer displays showed just 'blinking lights' that appeared to only indicate, really, little or nothing
the vast majority (if not all) of computer displays in all TREK serve no purpose what so ever.

much like those extras that are seen wondering the corridors.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:51 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
the vast majority (if not all) of computer displays in all TREK serve no purpose what so ever.

much like those extras that are seen wondering the corridors.
Indeed, no matter whether we talk about the displays near the ceiling in TOS or the okudagrams in TNG, all just eye-candy.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.