The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > nuTreknology: perfectly simple question.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
No... but it is worth making jokes about the silliness.

I suppose also the reason control panels had gumdrops back then was because they felt in the future the bridge crew will get hungry during a battle and need something to munch on.
I concur. It's not worthy of debate.

I mean is this what we're really reducing ourselves to?

Arguing the validity of a low budget 1960's TV set in the 21st/23rd century?

Say it isn't so.

This is one time when I have to say:

DON'T make it so.

As for relatively new ideas that would actually make sense in the this century and the 23rd century, yes, the gesture commands ARE still mostly in the realm of science fiction, even though there have been some breakthroughs into that already.

All we need to do is take the concept for the WiiMote/SIXAXIS and make the controller into something that resembles the finger devices used by Tom Cruise in Minority Report.

Of course, if Star Trek was to do that today, some immature, nitpicking fools will just come along and spout "ZOMG! STAR TREK IS COPYING MINORITY REPORT/STAR WARS/insert ANY Science Fiction franchise here!!!! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!"
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Federation Councillor

I wouldn't 'assume' any inherent advantage - they're both made up set designs. I don't imagine when I push a button on either one anything happens.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Exactly!
Thanks!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Thanks!
Well you called it my man!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Jokes aside, I would like the see the gesture control from The Cage. I wonder why they didn't keep that in the actual series?
That is indeed a neat idea, and kind of a forerunner to the three-dimensional displays that show in sci-fi (including Trek) now and then.

It's not unprecedented in the real world either - the very first electronic musical instrument, the Theremin (dating from the early 20th century), is played by using hand movements around an electromagnetic field to alter the note.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Lieutenant

It's no debate at all...

The new movie has the updated future because the younger generation has virtually no ability to "imagine" anything, they have to be physically shown everything.

Those of us older fans were the ones who when we were kids, wanted a toy and found a stick. That stick could be a gun, a sword, a magic wand, anything we wanted it to be. The other day my kid was asking for a toy sword and I handed him a dead branch, he looked at me and said, "What's this for?" I told him that was his toy sword and to use his imagination a bit. He paused, looked up at me and said, "But, our teacher said in class that imagination is one of the key traits of serial killers..."

I'm not making that last part up.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
It's no debate at all...

The new movie has the updated future because the younger generation has virtually no ability to "imagine" anything, they have to be physically shown everything.
So I suppose you'd be happy to go to the cinema to watch people run around their mum's back garden shouting 'bang I shot you, you're dead'? Or sitting inside their conservatory with deckchairs pretending it's a starship bridge.

Scratch all that. Why go to the cinema at all? Just imagine it all happening. Save some money.

Don't take this to mean I'm against casual fantasy. I'm completely in favour of letting my imagination run wild. But claiming that the new movie's attempt to portray more convincing technology is misguided because we could just imagine it to be better is, to my mind, a real fallacy. Why bother having actors, when we could just imagine what they'd look like with a casual description and silent-film-style typed-word screens?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Nah, it was like The Matrix; they were able to read all the blinky lights like the scrolling text. Scotty had his programmed for the lady in red on repeat.

What that means for Pike is they really didn't like him.
Just a blinky for yes/no. He could have said so much more, but they were tired of his blathering and cranky attitude. Number 1 this and Number 2 that.
Look at how well Stephen Hawking can communicate, and his mobility issues seem to be on par with Pikes from TOS... Even present day tech is far more advanced than that shown in Star trek back in the 60's. Hell, by the time the 23rd century rolls around, they'd probably just be able to download him into a new body... or somehow fix him via the transporter by using a "body pattern" kept on file.

But, if Pike could have communicated things more effectively, it would have made telling the story of "The Menagerie" a lot more difficult...

Pike: "You've got to stop Spock! He's planning on kidnapping me, and returning to Talos IV!"

Yeah, kinda undercuts the mystery of the storyline...

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
I told him that was his toy sword and to use his imagination a bit. He paused, looked up at me and said, "But, our teacher said in class that imagination is one of the key traits of serial killers..."

I'm not making that last part up.

How in the flying FRACK does someone like that teacher even get a job?!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
So I suppose you'd be happy to go to the cinema to watch people run around their mum's back garden shouting 'bang I shot you, you're dead'? Or sitting inside their conservatory with deckchairs pretending it's a starship bridge.

Scratch all that. Why go to the cinema at all? Just imagine it all happening. Save some money.

Don't take this to mean I'm against casual fantasy. I'm completely in favour of letting my imagination run wild. But claiming that the new movie's attempt to portray more convincing technology is misguided because we could just imagine it to be better is, to my mind, a real fallacy. Why bother having actors, when we could just imagine what they'd look like with a casual description and silent-film-style typed-word screens?
Pardon me...you seemed to have slipped on my sarcasm there...