The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Let's all design the Enterprise TOGETHER
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
Hey guys.

I just started freehand drawing again,(it's been a while so if it's a little scrappy I hope you don't mind).

I'm thinking it's about time we ALL designed a starship. Together.

If you want to share, you can post your concept art also, and if you guys want, we could take each other's pictures and fiddle with them and re-post combinations and/or tweaks, and more unique designs and stuff.

I guess I'll start posting my concept art first.

Both pictures are done entirely by me using just a pencil, an eraser, a piece of paper and my imagination.

Also I could not have gotten started without some advice from Saquist(thanks bud ).

Although I tried to make it as neat as possible using just a pencil, NOTHING is exactly proportionate, nor to scale, so please disregard if the saucer looks too small or if the secondary hull looks to big, etc. etc.

I want some feedback on the following.

1. The shaping of the individual parts(saucer, nacelle, neck, secondary hull, etc.).

2. The detail of the individual parts.(applies more to the external view/second picture).

3. The shaping of the overall starship.

4. The detail of the overall starship.

5. Since I haven't figured out a size for the parts/ship yet, I would like suggestions on how big each part should be relative to another part.

6. What parts should be interchanged between each picture/What parts should be replaced with what parts from either picture.

What you need to know about the first picture:
1. It mostly details what I personally want the interior to look like.
2. Nearly no external detail is on this picture.
In this picture it's what on the inside counts.

What you need to know about the second picture:
1. It exclusively details the external view of the Enterprise and it features a slightly different nacelle concept. a different pylon concept , a slightly different neck and slightly different secondary hull.
2. The basic interior is still the same as the first drawing.
3. There is more space in the second one though which includes more escape pods, more shuttle space etc.
4. I replaced the AFT IMPULSE ENGINE(in the first picture) with an AFT PHASER BANK and an AFT TORPEDO LAUNCHER.

You want feedback? Plagiarism. That looks very similar to Gabe Koerner's Enterprise
Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Can I just say: What kind of idiots would the engineers be if they allowed the neck to bend down so much that it would interfere with the torpedo flight path? Also, the torpedoes are actually small enough that their impact would not bend the neck at all! Perhaps a large ship impacting, but then torpedoes are the least of your worries!

It would be best to move just the torpedo launcher down (or up into the front of the saucer) and keep the neck a bit shorter - which also cannot be too long so prevent it buckling just from the stresses of traveling! Imagine - if you will - a worst case scenario whereby the inertial dampeners are operating under par (unnoticeably so to the crew) long enough to produce metal fatigue in the neck.

Also (sorry if I'm being too nitpicky) in your sketch - although being only a side-on view - shows a thin neck. You can rectify this by understanding how shapes intersect with cylinders (or pseudo-cylinders)

I have included a VERY rubbish sketchy thing. I have allowed this to be rubbish in the interests of speed and efficiency - and the fact that it should effectively illustrate what I am saying concerning the intersection of cylinders.
Attached Images
File Type: png thi.png (110.9 KB, 20 views)

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
You want feedback? Plagiarism. That looks very similar to Gabe Koerner's Enterprise
Umm... No it doesn't. Proportions are way different, nacelle design is way different, secondary hull design is way different...

It's like saying the JJPrise plagiarizes the TOS Enterprise, the TMP Enterprise, and every other Constitution class interpretation out there.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
It would be best to move just the torpedo launcher down (or up into the front of the saucer) and keep the neck a bit shorter - which also cannot be too long so prevent it buckling just from the stresses of traveling! Imagine - if you will - a worst case scenario whereby the inertial dampeners are operating under par (unnoticeably so to the crew) long enough to produce metal fatigue in the neck.
Yes. In a sense, size not withstanding it would be like putting torpedo launchers on a sub into the tower instead of the front. While the neck launchers look cool they are not the most practical. Also, they are in one the worse places for even a minor magazine explosion. So if the idea is to just draw something that looks good then dont worry about the spacing. Otherwise consider moving them to the front of the saucer.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Rear Admiral

Do not forget the bathrooms!!!

So far Starships have only had showers, and a lavatory, But no toilets.
Well, the ENT-D had ONE for the entire ship.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
As for the torpedo quantity I think that seems reasonable. The Enterprise E ran out of torpedoes in like no time at all when fighting the Scimitar, and I actually counted less than 30 torpedoes fired by the Enterprise E during that battle.

The torpedoes on my design are also a bit bigger than the one we're used to seeing. (bigger so they have more momentum which enables them to travel faster and cause more damage).
Nice renderings, guys. A few things on Photon Torpedos. They carry a small amount of matter/antimatter so the explosion is the same no matter how hard they hit. The momentum has no direct coralation to the damage capacity. They travel at darn near light speed. All battles in ST take place at sub light speed so think of full impulse power as almost but not quite light speed. Warp 1 is light speed and then there is a log rythem that corraltes all sppeds up to warp 9.

In ST2 we see am arm drop torpedos onto the launch patform and then be preloaded in the firing tube. I do not know how high up the torpedo room actually is. That loading system always bugged me, because it seems so slow. In ST6 Torpedo bay is now behind the launch system and it is no longer an open bay by the shuttle dock. Each tube now also has a seperate loading platform in stead of the "Y" system of loading. When Scotty pulls up the inventory list of torpedos there appear to be over 100 torpedo serial numbers.

Enterprise E carries Quantum torpedos. Not sure the differnece there, never really read anything on 1701-E. The main difference is, Jean-Luc likes to shoot all his torpedos in huge spreads or multiples of 5. The E also has front and rear tordedo bays so I am not quite sure how he ran out of torpedos, either. Of course I never understood how Enterprise's torpedos ripped through Reliant and barely dented the Bird of Prey in ST3; for the sake of the story line I guess.

My suggestion is to move the torpedo system to the Secondary hull and have the launcher bays port and starboard of the sensor like on Excelsior.
My other suggestion is to remove the impulse engine from the rear of the seconday hull. It is redundant. The Saucer requires the drive when emergency seperation is required. The Secondary hull has the main drive unit which also channels impules power. Once the ship seperates warp is impossible due to the structure change.

I do like the shuttle bay being on the dorsal section. Phaser placement on the ST 1-6 ship is 3 phaser banks (set of 2) on the upper dish and lower dish, there is also 1 phaser above the shuttle bay slightly offset on both the right and left and there is a belly phaser as well. You really have to look for the belly one but it is there. The Shuttle bay phasers are seen in the glamor spacedock scenes, they are off yellow-grey with red trim like the ones on the saucer.

Keep it up fellas, they all look good.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

I like the activity here.
Keep it up men.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarShot View Post
Umm... No it doesn't. Proportions are way different, nacelle design is way different, secondary hull design is way different...

It's like saying the JJPrise plagiarizes the TOS Enterprise, the TMP Enterprise, and every other Constitution class interpretation out there.
The difference is that e.g. Koerner explicitly said that his ship is an interpretation of the original Enterprise while the guy who started this thread did not point out that his sketch was obviously inspired by Koerner's Enterprise.
No referrence => plagiarism.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Vice Admiral

If he knew. In just looking at it I didnt because I am not up on such things. But its why I would be hesitant to try and make one because whatever I come up with probably has already been done. I did a mouse in Maya for a school project once using 'Fur' and all that and I kept checking it trying to make it did not look like Stewart Little.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sure, someone who spents his free time on drawing sketches of the Enterprise has never seen Koerner's version.

Burn me if you want to, I won't stop saying that this sketch is based on Koerner's E. The original artist deserves to be mentioned, especially when people try to pretend that they came up with the idea.