The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Let's all design the Enterprise TOGETHER
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarShot View Post
The JJPrise is fine in my opinion.

It would be better if we could read the text in the side view.
Would you mind if I do my FarShot-ification and reproportionize it?
Sure. I don't mind. Just please don't make my ship look like the Fuglyprise. Thanks. I tried to load a bigger version so the writing would be easier to read, but it limits the size to 640x480 for some reason.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 06-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim
If we're judging it on how close to the original Enterprise it looks, then this is probably my favorite design in this thread so far.

The deflector dish does look a little tiny though.

But the nacelles are PERFECT.

I'm actually not going to do my own interpretation of your design, Zim. I just think anything I did to it would be a step down. It looks great.

I am looking forward to FarShot's interpretation of it though.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Lieutenant Commander

OKAY.

HERE IT IS.

MY ENTERPRISE G concept.

My inspiration comes from AdmiralArcher's Enterprise G concept, Saquist's nacelle concept and Samuel's suggestion that I design the Enterprise without the constraints of keeping to the original design shape. I was able to sort of mold the Intrepid class and a Galaxy class into what I think is a decently flowing design.

I was also actually able to keep the original design shape pretty much, but with a special addition, A THIRD NACELLE. If you're wondering how I was able to put a 3rd nacelle on the Enterprise without compromising the traditional design shape, look below.

I put a lot of time and effort into this one, literally took me more than 12 hours to draw all of this using just an eraser, a pencil and paper.

I hope y'all like it.

BEHOLD!!!

My best concept drawing to date.

THE BEOWULF CLASS STARSHIP NCC-1701 ENTERPRISE G!!!

The top down approach is the best way to describe the separation mechanism for the two hulls.

The first(civilian) section of the ship: The main bridge and the Intrepid class looking part of the saucer detaches with a pylon running down the neck and back of the ship, the pylon is attached to the single nacelle underneath the secondary hull. It has its own deflector dish and its own warp drive, making it a stand alone ship if necessary.

The second(battle) section of the ship: The Galaxy class style portion of the saucer(excluding the Intrepid class portion), the exterior neck and the exterior secondary hull(which the twin nacelles are attached to). It also has its own deflector dish and its own warp drive, making it a stand alone ship also if necessary.

The second section moves forward and the first section moves backward to initiate and complete the separation of the two hulls.

I'll edit and post the interior design later, but I just wanted to get you guys to look at the exterior and let me know if you like it first.

And to explain any reasoning of the ship design I figure it's best if you guys ask specific questions about the ship and I'll answer. Let's have a good Q&A.

Here's a little example of how I think it should go:Question: Where are the windows?

Answer: The Voyage Home introduced us to the concept of transparent metals. To further this concept I decided to use the concept of one way mirrors(the kind you see in police interrogation rooms). If people in the 23rd Century can make transparent metals, then they can definitely make ONE WAY ALUMINIUM. THAT'S RIGHT. THERE ARE WINDOWS ON THE SHIP. we just can't see them or see through them. The people on the inside of the ship however, can see outside all they want.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think that's a pretty good reason to take out the dated glass windows look and make the ship look cleaner at the same time and giving the people on the inside of the ship a way to still look into space.

What do you guys think of that?! I think It's ****ing awesome.

I REALLY REALLY hope you guys like these drawings in particular. But even so, I still won't mind if you have any criticisms that you might have, so it's all good.

Looking forward to anyone who wants to do their own version of my design also.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
OKAY.

HERE IT IS.

MY ENTERPRISE G concept.

My inspiration comes from AdmiralArcher's Enterprise G concept, Saquist's nacelle concept and Samuel's suggestion that I design the Enterprise without the constraints of keeping to the original design shape. I was able to sort of mold the Intrepid class and a Galaxy class into what I think is a decently flowing design.

I was also actually able to keep the original design shape pretty much, but with a special addition, A THIRD NACELLE. If you're wondering how I was able to put a 3rd nacelle on the Enterprise without compromising the traditional design shape, look below.

I put a lot of time and effort into this one, literally took me more than 12 hours to draw all of this using just an eraser, a pencil and paper.

I hope y'all like it.

BEHOLD!!!

My best concept drawing to date.

THE BEOWULF CLASS STARSHIP NCC-1701 ENTERPRISE G!!!

The top down approach is the best way to describe the separation mechanism for the two hulls.

The first(civilian) section of the ship: The main bridge and the Intrepid class looking part of the saucer detaches with a pylon running down the neck and back of the ship, the pylon is attached to the single nacelle underneath the secondary hull. It has its own deflector dish and its own warp drive, making it a stand alone ship if necessary.

The second(battle) section of the ship: The Galaxy class style portion of the saucer(excluding the Intrepid class portion), the exterior neck and the exterior secondary hull(which the twin nacelles are attached to). It also has its own deflector dish and its own warp drive, making it a stand alone ship also if necessary.

The second section moves forward and the first section moves backward to initiate and complete the separation of the two hulls.

I'll edit and post the interior design later, but I just wanted to get you guys to look at the exterior and let me know if you like it first.

And to explain any reasoning of the ship design I figure it's best if you guys ask specific questions about the ship and I'll answer. Let's have a good Q&A.

Here's a little example of how I think it should go:Question: Where are the windows?

Answer: The Voyage Home introduced us to the concept of transparent metals. To further this concept I decided to use the concept of one way mirrors(the kind you see in police interrogation rooms). If people in the 23rd Century can make transparent metals, then they can definitely make ONE WAY ALUMINIUM. THAT'S RIGHT. THERE ARE WINDOWS ON THE SHIP. we just can't see them or see through them. The people on the inside of the ship however, can see outside all they want.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think that's a pretty good reason to take out the dated glass windows look and make the ship look cleaner at the same time and giving the people on the inside of the ship a way to still look into space.

What do you guys think of that?! I think It's ****ing awesome.

I REALLY REALLY hope you guys like these drawings in particular. But even so, I still won't mind if you have any criticisms that you might have, so it's all good.

I think I just sprang a leak...

Those are AWESOME!!!! I love all your ideas, they sound so perfect! It's literally as if you pulled my unconscious ideas for the Enterprise-G right out of my head! Thank you SO MUCH!!! If this is any indication of how the rest of my birthday presents are, then my birthday is shaping up to be one of the best I've ever had!

One minor note...You had said you wish to include interior pics...I would like to have the privilege of designing the basic layout and floorplan of the Bridge and other interiors such as Engineering, the transporter room, and the various lounges and suites located throughout the ship. Because, like the Enterprise-D, this ship was meant to be luxurious, but powerful and a capable battlecruiser. I want this to be like a step above the Galaxy-class in every measurable sense. A true ship for a new generation.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 06-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Wow. 107 views and not a single comment?

Tough crowd.

C'mon. I want feedback.

Even if you absolutely hate it , it's okay, you can let me know, I won't mind.

good job my friend, u ve got a good hand
Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Admiral Archer, I was actually going to do only the basic interior. Kinda like my first pic in this thread where I just showed important parts of the ship like the warp core and the turbolift and the basic overview of where each part of the ship is.

You're more than welcome to put extreme detail into the interior if you so choose. We can combine and compare our interior designs later to find the optimal set up.

Happy Birthday again, and your welcome.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Admiral Archer, I was actually going to do only the basic interior. Kinda like my first pic in this thread where I just showed important parts of the ship like the warp core and the turbolift and the basic overview of where each part of the ship is.

You're more than welcome to put extreme detail into the interior if you so choose. We can combine and compare our interior designs later to find the optimal set up.

Happy Birthday again, and your welcome.
Thanks man. Just wanted to let you know that I am beginning to think there should be an Enterprise-G fan series, and I'm thinking maybe with some special effects help from the CGI whizzes around here, maybe we could pull it off! I have a cast already in mind, but it's a matter of special effects that prevents me from doing the show. I'd love it if anyone here would be willing to put together a few 3-D flybys and passes of the new ship, now that we can see her from all angles. If anyone is good at computer animation, I'd be happy to see some work done with the new ship! Thanks again!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainApril View Post
Sorry, but I'm still partial to this one...

Noooooo, not that one.

It looks too much like that ship from Star Trek. Make every line possible round, like it ooooooozed off the drawing board and landed on the screen with a wet plop. Then take about three dozen spotlights and flourescent bulbs and slap those on it. Make it look like the whole thing's got so much radioactive fallout going on that it melted the hull. That's the ticket!
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
If we're judging it on how close to the original Enterprise it looks, then this is probably my favorite design in this thread so far.

The deflector dish does look a little tiny though.

But the nacelles are PERFECT.

I'm actually not going to do my own interpretation of your design, Zim. I just think anything I did to it would be a step down. It looks great.

I am looking forward to FarShot's interpretation of it though.
Thanks! I really appreciate the compliment. Like I said, I'm very partial to the Jeffries design. So pretty much anything I do will look like that ship if the prerequisite is that it should be a modern representation of the TOS Enterprise. I noticed when I was done how it looked pretty much exactly like the TOS E with more detail. So I am working on a new one with some more changes. I don't know how its going to work out, but we'll see.

Quote:
OKAY.

HERE IT IS.

MY ENTERPRISE G concept.

Okay. All I've got to say is....THAT'S AWESOME!!! I really like that! And the one-way mirror idea is pure genius! Somebody should have thought of that years ago! Only one question, what about the Enterprise "F"? Am I missing something? The last Enterprise on film was the "E", right? So why jump from E to G and skip the F?

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 06-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

When you quote someone, do you have to quote the entire post?!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-