The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Let's all design the Enterprise TOGETHER
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Thumbs up Let's all design the Enterprise TOGETHER

Hey guys.

I just started freehand drawing again,(it's been a while so if it's a little scrappy I hope you don't mind).

I'm thinking it's about time we ALL designed a starship. Together.

If you want to share, you can post your concept art also, and if you guys want, we could take each other's pictures and fiddle with them and re-post combinations and/or tweaks, and more unique designs and stuff.

I guess I'll start posting my concept art first.

Both pictures are done entirely by me using just a pencil, an eraser, a piece of paper and my imagination.

Also I could not have gotten started without some advice from Saquist(thanks bud ).

Although I tried to make it as neat as possible using just a pencil, NOTHING is exactly proportionate, nor to scale, so please disregard if the saucer looks too small or if the secondary hull looks to big, etc. etc.

I want some feedback on the following.

1. The shaping of the individual parts(saucer, nacelle, neck, secondary hull, etc.).

2. The detail of the individual parts.(applies more to the external view/second picture).

3. The shaping of the overall starship.

4. The detail of the overall starship.

5. Since I haven't figured out a size for the parts/ship yet, I would like suggestions on how big each part should be relative to another part.

6. What parts should be interchanged between each picture/What parts should be replaced with what parts from either picture.

What you need to know about the first picture:
1. It mostly details what I personally want the interior to look like.
2. Nearly no external detail is on this picture.
In this picture it's what on the inside counts.

What you need to know about the second picture:
1. It exclusively details the external view of the Enterprise and it features a slightly different nacelle concept. a different pylon concept , a slightly different neck and slightly different secondary hull.
2. The basic interior is still the same as the first drawing.
3. There is more space in the second one though which includes more escape pods, more shuttle space etc.
4. I replaced the AFT IMPULSE ENGINE(in the first picture) with an AFT PHASER BANK and an AFT TORPEDO LAUNCHER.

Last edited by RedShirtsRuS : 05-31-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Wow. 107 views and not a single comment?

Tough crowd.

C'mon. I want feedback.

Even if you absolutely hate it , it's okay, you can let me know, I won't mind.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Vice Admiral

Well OK. Since you asked neck looks like it belongs on a crane or giraffe. I do not see any reason why it should be so long. What purpose does it serve?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Commander

This might just be my mind already having adapted to the new ship, but the front of the secondary hull seems to be trying to retreat backwards. The ship as whole seems very tall, as well, a little bit proportionally odd, particularly around the neck. Needs moar flow. 30 torpedoes seems a bit of a small complement too, and having a magazine of them stretching up the neck seems a bit of an odd design (one hit to the neck, buckling the clip, and the torpedo system is done).

I like the idea of putting escape pods on the rim of the saucer, seems sensible to allow them to spread out upon ejection. And I've always been a fan of underslung shuttlebays. The freight elevator is a good concept, too; I've always wondered how they get anything wider than a corridor around the ship, except via site-to-site transport.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

I like what you've done with the underside of the saucer...that detailing....
That's intresting. You should keep that in some refined form.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Umm, is this the actual envisionment, or is it a really, really, REALLY rough draft? I could sketch up something based on this I suppose... in fact, I think I will.

Last edited by FarShot : 05-31-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
Well OK. Since you asked neck looks like it belongs on a crane or giraffe. I do not see any reason why it should be so long. What purpose does it serve?
I'm not sure if that was just a friendly joke or a genuine criticism, but I'll answer it anyway.

I've always felt the underside of the saucer was too close to the firing range of the torpedo bay on the official refit and other unofficial concepts for the original that I have seen.

So I moved the saucer section away from the potential line of fire of the torpedo bay, using a longer neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescales
This might just be my mind already having adapted to the new ship, but the front of the secondary hull seems to be trying to retreat backwards. The ship as whole seems very tall, as well, a little bit proportionally odd, particularly around the neck. Needs moar flow. 30 torpedoes seems a bit of a small complement too, and having a magazine of them stretching up the neck seems a bit of an odd design (one hit to the neck, buckling the clip, and the torpedo system is done).
The design of the neck question was answered above.

As for the torpedo quantity I think that seems reasonable. The Enterprise E ran out of torpedoes in like no time at all when fighting the Scimitar, and I actually counted less than 30 torpedoes fired by the Enterprise E during that battle.

The torpedoes on my design are also a bit bigger than the one we're used to seeing. (bigger so they have more momentum which enables them to travel faster and cause more damage).

I guess the strategic place of the magazine of torpedoes might feel a bit off at first, but it just seems like the logical place to put them. The neck is a lot thicker than it looks, I guess I should've drawn a frontal view to illustrate that. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarShot
Umm, is this the actual envisionment, or is it a really, really, REALLY rough draft? I could sketch up something based on this I suppose... in fact, I think I will.
Well, considering what I typed before I posted the pictures in my first post, I thought I made it obvious that this was a really, really, REALLY rough draft.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the compliments also guys.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Nice idea but the image as posted is way too big to get an overall idea of it (i'm using a 1280 x 1024 monitor)
Old 05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I see no reason for there to be a firing angle issue. Since torpedoes track, they fire straight, then veer off in whatever direction they need to after clearing the ship.

A good example is the TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise", where the Ent D fires off a cluster of torpedoes that change course to hit the Klingon Birds of Prey that were attacking the Ent C near the end of the episode.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Setting the neck back a little bit more on engineering would help. I would also slide the saucer back a little bit on the neck.