The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > why does Spock Prime think Kirk is the capt?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post

Spock kneeling before beaming struck me as bizarre, but I figure maybe the only place they could send him was a hill (which is where he landed) so crouching with bended knees was less likely to result in him falling on his *** when he materialized.
Now that would have been absolutely hysterical and kinda tragic at the same time.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Chaps, boots, and nothing else!

Yes indeed! Totally unrelated but sorta...McCoy in his cadet uniform. My that man cuts a nice figure! I like the scene where he's walking away from Kirk in the hanger after Kirk finds out that he's grounded and McCoy's pantlegs are all messy and hitched up in the backs of his boots. And the scene where he's like, "Study my ***," and walks off. The back view is soooo nice. He's just solid and fit and YUM.
McCoy does leave a good impression, that's fer sure!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
McCoy does leave a good impression, that's fer sure!
I think I would constantly be "sick" and need a visit to sickbay if I served on board the Enterprise.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I think I would constantly be "sick" and need a visit to sickbay if I served on board the Enterprise.
You need a cold shower. No. Two of them.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
You need a cold shower. No. Two of them.

Quite true! I'm too naughty for my own good.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Federation Councillor

They drew straws, and Kirk won!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Quite true! I'm too naughty for my own good.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I don't think Spock knows what year it is. Remember, Nero didn't know what year he'd arrived in.

Spock kneeling before Nero has led to some fabulous fan fic....(which is why huge gaping plot holes don't bother me that much). My best "in universe" explanation would be he's humbling himself before Nero because he knows he cannot fight him and thinks his only hope for survival is to not give him a reason to kill him.

I think that the novalization implied that he, (Spock) having flown through the black hole was physicially distressed and why he was able to be captured by Nero afterwards. I would also assume that his age is catching up with him and he was at his physical and mental limits of endurance after flying through. His ship was also very much smaller than Nero's, so the trip may have been much more harrowing.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
In the cave, he meets the young Kirk. In the original timeline, Spock must surly have known that a Kirk that young would not be Capt.

ALso, when Nero captured Spock Prime, why did Spock fall to his knees? Very un Vulcan like.
1. Kirk mentions the Enterprise, doesn't he? Spock would've assumed that Enterprise+Kirk=Captain Kirk, since that's how things were 'meant' to go.

2. He's just been fighting for his life against a powerful and desperate opponent; his ship's just miraculously survived contact with a black hole, and he's finally been captured by a ship-full of angry Romulans. Plus he's over 150 years old. That'd make anyone fall to their knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman
...and why did young Spock bend down on the transporter pad when he went to rescue his parents? Was he afraid the sky was going fall on his head?
There were planet-wide earthquakes - oh, and a black hole forming in the centre of the world. Beaming into that kind of environment while standing upright would be just plain dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701
Surely a movie does NOT have to make sense in order to do well with the average movie audience.
It only fails to make sense if you fail to think things through for a second

Old 05-31-2009, 05:31 AM
Lieutenant

let's just say this, if it wasn't for prime spock kirk might NOT have gotten to be Captain of the Enterprise. but thanks to prime spock starfleet order 619 went through well lol. however i think young spock came to realize that maybe jim kirk was right into engaging nero at earth, we don't know how many more federation starships were still active, for all we know there could be 5 including the enterprise. but maybe prime spock knew how to defeat nero and all it took was one man. James T. Kirk

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.