The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STAR TREK has hit the $200
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Somebody goes and sees the new Star Trek and loves it. He starts telling a Trek fan about it and instead of getting him interested in the rest of trek, the Trekker goes on a rant of how the new movie is crap and not really Star Trek. So the new fan doesnt bother with the old stuff because its apparently nothing like the movie he just saw and loves. That is what I can see happening with some of the XI haters. But I hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
Somebody goes and sees the new Star Trek and loves it. He starts telling a Trek fan about it and instead of getting him interested in the rest of trek, the Trekker goes on a rant of how the new movie is crap and not really Star Trek. So the new fan doesnt bother with the old stuff because its apparently nothing like the movie he just saw and loves. That is what I can see happening with some of the XI haters. But I hope I'm wrong.
Indeed.....the haters have EVERY possibility of screwing the pooch with their favorite franchise by crying how "unlike their Trek" the movie is, and reinforce the geek stereotype by scaring off potential new fans who would've given the original show and all its spinoffs and movies a chance thanks to this film.

Some folks just take this really pretentious tack with their so-called intellects by saying: "OMG, you took an interest in Trek because of THIS movie?! It took THIS P.O.S. movie to get you interested in Trek at all?!" It's like folks who decry anyone taking an interest in the works of Mozart just because they saw the movie Amadeus, and saw (as well as heard) how cool Mozart's music was, and still is.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Have you been reading that io9 website?
Nope.
My views have been posted about this strangeness and cultish religiosity mentality for many moons now. I have even likened it to Hitlerish secret societies; which amusingly enough some nice people have linked in you tube videos reinforcing that imagery. These people do not like being brought out into the light concerning their rigid beliefs and unreasoned hatred.

For some special souls you can substitute the words "Gene Roddenberry" with "Matt Jefferies" and have the same result.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Nope.
My views have been posted about this strangeness and cultish religiosity mentality for many moons now. I have even likened it to Hitlerish secret societies; which amusingly enough some nice people have linked in you tube videos reinforcing that imagery. These people do not like being brought out into the light concerning their rigid beliefs and unreasoned hatred.

For some special souls you can substitute the words "Gene Roddenberry" with "Matt Jefferies" and have the same result.
I don't see religiosity as negative, so I guess I'll have to bow out slightly on this particular conversation. I do respect everyone's decision on religion, whether it is to have one or not.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Commander

Ok, now it's just getting too serious in here......subject change!

UZI CAT!

....what?
Like the thread hadn't already been derailed?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
All Trek fans should be grateful that this movie has reinvigorated not only Trek as a franchise, but reinvigorated INTEREST in all that is Trek from those who would not have otherwise given Trek a second thought.

My two roomies, although never opposed to Trek as a franchise, never really gave Trek much thought. After seeing this movie, they'll actually sit and watch TOS with me, and we get into some really intelligent discussion about the episode. (I started 'em off right with "The Cage".) I get tickled pink whenever we sit down, watch some classic Trek, and we get to talking about it, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Folks, I am sure it is like this ALL across the world, where folks who didn't give Trek much notice before, are giving it its due notice and interest now. We, as Trek fans, are in a position to get these folks settled into what was (and could be again) a great fandom. We can't innundate them with a lot of minutiae and such.... we have to let them take it at their own pace. It's not a question of intellect. It's a question of genuine interest. Give 'em too much, and we run the risk of scaring 'em off again. We have to make them want more Trek, the way someone might want the rest of the steak after having a scrumptious single bite.
This is so unbelievably TRUE. On LJ, you would not believe the number of people who are now hunting down TOS episodes when before the movie, they never watched a day of Star Trek in their life. THIS IS GOOD! This movie did EXACTLY what it was supposed to: It brought in NEW fans who aren't just fans of only the movie but are becoming fans of the existing continuity, going back and watching episodes, asking questions, and really getting into it. I convinced one of my friends to go see the movie because I posted about it SO OFTEN. She's seen it twice, loved it, wants to go again, and is eagerly checking out TOS episodes. She didn't give two ****s about Star Trek before this and wasn't even planning on watching the movie at all.

It's getting people completely hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I think it's in the by-laws somewhere.
Must be. It's like someone gets a commission every time a thread veers into hate/like.

OK, I'll quit now on this topic. *dodges bullets from Uzi Cat*
Old 05-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Commander

Time to get back on track!

YAY! $292,365,063 worldwide!! 2 more weeks to hit $300 million? WOOT!!! and 89! Less than $2 million more and it will beat Armageddon(never cared for that one)! Movin on up!

88.Armageddon$201,578,18289.Star Trek$200,350,00090.Superman Returns$200,081,192

More data:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

http://www.dianahuang.com

Last edited by Ditroi : 05-30-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek has already surpassed precedent, and now, with every new box office figure that shows up, joy can only be exponentially increased.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Star Trek has already surpassed precedent, and now, with every new box office figure that shows up, joy can only be exponentially increased.
True. It's a good time for Star Trek.

Here's some scary facts though...
It's also on par money-wise with Superman Returns (wasn't that panned?), Charlie & Chocolate Factory (also another that was panned? I personally liked it better than Wilder's outing), The Mummy Returns (another panning), and horning in on Alvin & the Chipmunks (really? That movie did that well?) and coming up on Hancock (another famous panning) - got a long way to go before it hits Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (another famous panning).

After that is mostly the family fare that is the major hurdles.
Which goes to show, the more family oriented the better off you are.

I also notice there's more than a few of these generally "panned" movies in the top 100.
Go figure.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
True. It's a good time for Star Trek.

Here's some scary facts though...
It's also on par money-wise with Superman Returns (wasn't that panned?), Charlie & Chocolate Factory (also another that was panned? I personally liked it better than Wilder's outing), The Mummy Returns (another panning), and horning in on Alvin & the Chipmunks (really? That movie did that well?) and coming up on Hancock (another famous panning) - got a long way to go before it hits Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (another famous panning).

After that is mostly the family fare that is the major hurdles.
Which goes to show, the more family oriented the better off you are.

I also notice there's more than a few of these generally "panned" movies in the top 100.
Go figure.

LOLZ I like half of those panned movies: Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Hancock (love Hancock), and I think I liked The Mummy Returns but I can't remember. It makes me question my taste in movies that I constantly like things that everyone else hates and hate things that everyone else likes.