The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STAR TREK has hit the $200
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
Did this turn into another hate/love the movie thread?
Sorry I thought all the threads were?!?!

I know what you mean, but is more fun than

It's always someone else that starts the fight....

but I'll sit in my corner, till the next thread.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain spock View Post
Sorry I thought all the threads were?!?!

I know what you mean, but is more fun than

It's always someone else that starts the fight....

but I'll sit in my corner, till the next thread.
I agree...it's always some jackass that starts the "I'm smarter than everyone else for NOT liking this movie" angle....and for me, all logic goes out the window with that level of bulls**t arrogance. That's when the Klingon in me starts to surface, and I want to shave a few necks of the heads that sit upon them.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Commander

Right now I'm of the opinion that perhaps creating a thread where all who were dissatisfied with the new film can go and get their anger and distaste out there, without anyone challenging them.
Who knows; maybe Saint will post again.

The Uzi Cat still stands; and he has an itchy trigger paw.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Ensign

Thank you Martok2112. I totally agree with you. Star Trek needed the reboot and it got it. People want the new Trek to be cerebral right out the box. Gads, ST:TMP tried to be cerebral and it was down right boring. I think all Trek fans knew at the time back in the 70's if that movie wasn't supported we wouldn't have any more Trek, I saw that movie 13 times. Slept through the last 2 viewing.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Lieutenant Commander

To each his own but if you want me to drag my *ss into town and spend good money at the cinema (and for those of you suffering acutely from brainfarts that's what makes Hollywood go 'round) you'll offer me "The Doomsday Machine" or "Balance of Terror". Because I'm not showing up for "The Immunity Syndrome" or "Spocks Brain".

Old 05-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, acmal. I really do try to keep my grrrrr in check in these situations.

Now that I've had a chance to cool off....I will simply say this:

All Trek fans should be grateful that this movie has reinvigorated not only Trek as a franchise, but reinvigorated INTEREST in all that is Trek from those who would not have otherwise given Trek a second thought.

My two roomies, although never opposed to Trek as a franchise, never really gave Trek much thought. After seeing this movie, they'll actually sit and watch TOS with me, and we get into some really intelligent discussion about the episode. (I started 'em off right with "The Cage".) I get tickled pink whenever we sit down, watch some classic Trek, and we get to talking about it, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Folks, I am sure it is like this ALL across the world, where folks who didn't give Trek much notice before, are giving it its due notice and interest now. We, as Trek fans, are in a position to get these folks settled into what was (and could be again) a great fandom. We can't innundate them with a lot of minutiae and such.... we have to let them take it at their own pace. It's not a question of intellect. It's a question of genuine interest. Give 'em too much, and we run the risk of scaring 'em off again. We have to make them want more Trek, the way someone might want the rest of the steak after having a scrumptious single bite.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
To each his own but if you want me to drag my *ss into town and spend good money at the cinema (and for those of you suffering acutely from brainfarts that's what makes Hollywood go 'round) you'll offer me "The Doomsday Machine" or "Balance of Terror". Because I'm not showing up for "The Immunity Syndrome" or "Spocks Brain".

Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Oh, it's a religion.
The very word "Religion" stems from the Latin word religare, which means "to tie, to bind." [You know this as "continuity" - "canon" enters later]

Qualifications for religion according the The Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

1: Belief in a "Universal Creator" or "God/Gods".
[Roddenberry]

2: Distinction between sacred and profane objects.
[I'll let your imagination wander here - but it's not coincidence many cite Star Wars and other such nonsense as a basis for their exclusivity]

3: Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
[Conventions and merchandising among other applicable activities]

4: A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the "Universal Creator" or "God/Gods".
[Self-explanatory]

5: Characteristically religious feelings which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual.
[OMFG! I have "x's" signature! Dude, I bought a phaser that was really used on the show in episode... etc.]

6: Prayer and other forms of communication with the "Universal Creator" or "God/Gods".
[Many, many devotees authoritatively speak for the dusty Roddenberry and his desires he apparently gives from beyond the grave; normally called priests or variations thereof]

7: A world/generalized view of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This view contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
[Simply put (an example); Geeks vs Jocks. Imagine the sheer terror of mainstreaming Trek. These people lose their unique place in the cosmos]

8: A more or less total organization of one’s life based on the world view.
[This is the proverbial "basement dweller" syndrome.]

9: A social group bound together by the above.
[Trekker not Trekkie. Get it right!]

10: A strict definition of acceptable beliefs and doctrine encompassing and shaping the belief system established by the "Universal Creator" or "God/Gods".
[Canon; the teachings or bible of the religion]
Have you been reading that io9 website?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
Right now I'm of the opinion that perhaps creating a thread where all who were dissatisfied with the new film can go and get their anger and distaste out there, without anyone challenging them.
Who knows; maybe Saint will post again.

The Uzi Cat still stands; and he has an itchy trigger paw.
Folks are obviously more than welcome to post their own negative views about the movie....it's when they get all "more Trek than thou", "more fan than thou", or "far smarter than the rest" that they start pushing the wrong buttons.

I also like "Ninja Cat".

Old 05-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Does every single thread have to veer off into this good/bad argument? It's not even close to being on topic.
I think it's in the by-laws somewhere.