The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > STAR TREK has hit the $200
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

who keeps bringing these pictures back.
I'm betting martok.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
who keeps bringing these pictures back.
I'm betting martok.

(peeks out from behind distant rock)

Guilty as charged!!! (echoes through the valley)

Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
One thing I must point out. I am always attacked for "hating" this nuTrek movie. That is NOT entirely accurate. I enjoyed the movie. I enjoy action and hot babes. I enjoyed the characters and thought they "felt" like the characters I knew. I LOVED the dialog. What I felt was lacking is the same thing even people that LOVED the movie will admit was lacking, a "deeper" feel or meaning. That alone is NOT the reason why I feel this was poor Trek. I was surprised when I realized I HATED many details, such as the new engineering sets, and the way EVERYTHING about Trek had been changed. Damn it!! I miss the thrumming warp core and beam type phasers!! I am still a firm believer these changes were unnecessary and were NOT required in order to "reboot" the franchise or to make it more appealing to a mass audience since those unfamiliar with Trek would NOT have known the difference anyway! Whew... I actually said that last sentence in one breath while typing!! Oh, all the "holes" in the story and all the numerous "conveniences" got a bit annoying too.
Nah, I don't think I've ever gotten the impression that you truly hated the film; just more dissapointed, than anything.
Which is a shame, but hey.
I mean really, it's not like you've been sniping threads using "abramsdisaster" and what not.

At least, I don't think I've seen you grab a pitchfork yet.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's an over statement.
It wasn't a disaster...you could salvage much of the movie if not just in the editing room.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Federation Councillor

There was no way JJ would please everyone. But he strived to do what hasn't really been done since Nick/Nimoy directed Trek films, get NON FANS into the theatre.

Last edited by Zardoz : 06-01-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Federation Councillor

And it's really in and of itself no worse than any other Trek film or better - they can all be picked apart for mistakes, inconsistencies, disappointing acting, writing, effects, etc.

Abrams tried to take Star Trek out of the little inbred box it had gotten itself into and took some liberties in doing so to open up that box a little. I don't mind that approach in the least, even if it arguably wasn't all a success.

He at least tried.

But only the long term will really tell if he's really achieved that. The box-office suggests initiall he has, but the film has only been out for a month so....that has to be maintained somehow.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
And it's really in and of itself no worse than any other Trek film or better - they can all be picked apart for mistakes, inconsistencies, disappointing acting, writing, effects, etc.
I suppose when you compare movies based on these elements it is no worse than the other movies, but these things aren't really things I criticize unless it is painfully obvious. I LIKED Nemesis and it is one of the Trek movies I hear the most complaints about. I will admit the first half is rather slow moving and a bit boring, even for a Trekker such as myself. But I have never really complained about the writing, acting, or effects. Okay, the writing for the one with Spocks brother was kind of silly, but the effects have always just reflected budget and the times in which it was made. I even appreciate TOS effects and they are rather hokie.

I am realizing the many, many unnecessary changes to the Trek universe is what has me bothered quite a bit. The alternate universe is another thing. It was like saying "here is the story of how the characters you love came to be together on the ship you love, but... it really isn't, but that's okay because now we can tell new stories never told before even though this chapter of trek "history" had plenty of room for more stories" It's like they admit prequels are problematic and came up with a slick and disappointing way around it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
...... just more disappointed, than anything.

Quote:
Which is a shame, but hey.
I agree it is a shame that the movie was disappointing!

Quote:
At least, I don't think I've seen you grab a pitchfork yet.
Not yet. If the next movie doesn't deliver for me then I will grab BOTH the pitchfork AND the torch!

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 06-01-2009 at 07:44 PM.