The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Could Star Trek V be salvaged
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Federation Councillor

Well the concepts weren't bad for it's time, but poorly rewritten and executed. Shatener tried to bring back what he felt had worked in TOS, problem was, he sucked as a director, and let the studio mess with the script. Also he let Harve Bennett have way too much control.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
While they were camping:

Spock: I did research on the ships computers about camping rituals. I am about to roast a marshMELLON. Puh-leeze.
I find the humor to be good campy fun, which hearkens back to the weaker third season episodes of TOS, which I also enjoy. You kinda have to be in a Adam West Batman frame of mind I guess.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I find the humor to be good campy fun, which hearkens back to the weaker third season episodes of TOS, which I also enjoy. You kinda have to be in a Adam West Batman frame of mind I guess.
My thing is that the characters didn't act like they should have. Spock wouldnt make a mistake about marshmallows. Checkov and Sulu wouldn't get lost. Kirk would not leave his communicator behind.

And why was the new Enterprise such a wreck? It had all kind of glitches. The little pad Kirk writes his report in pops open with a SPRING for God's sake! How long after ST4 did this movie occur? Scotty starts out with the line "Let's see what she can do indeed!", which is the last line in ST4. So much of it just didn't make sense! Spock is willing to kill Kirk in that one TOS episode (du du du du du du du da da da da!) but not shoot Sybok? After Kirk ordered him to? He could have shot him in the leg.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Midshipman

They went a little too far on the humor in this one which worked for part IV but they went too much.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
My thing is that the characters didn't act like they should have. Spock wouldnt make a mistake about marshmallows. Checkov and Sulu wouldn't get lost. Kirk would not leave his communicator behind.

And why was the new Enterprise such a wreck? It had all kind of glitches. The little pad Kirk writes his report in pops open with a SPRING for God's sake! How long after ST4 did this movie occur? Scotty starts out with the line "Let's see what she can do indeed!", which is the last line in ST4. So much of it just didn't make sense! Spock is willing to kill Kirk in that one TOS episode (du du du du du du du da da da da!) but not shoot Sybok? After Kirk ordered him to? He could have shot him in the leg.
I think they tried to say that the ship was brand new in V. Trek 4 left us with the impression the rechristened a existing ship. Gets confusing. But Shatner tried to make a TOS episode-like movie, and it failed.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I think they tried to say that the ship was brand new in V. Trek 4 left us with the impression the rechristened a existing ship. Gets confusing. But Shatner tried to make a TOS episode-like movie, and it failed.
Well,the Enterprise in the new movie was brand new. It performed fine. The Enterprise D in the first STTNG was brand new. Did fine.

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade8069 View Post
I was going back and rewatching some of the Trek movies, and sat through Star Trek V, which in my opinion is the worst of the movie series. Rewatching it, the whole movie comes off as a really bad B-flick, with substandard special effects and horrible script writing.

However at the heart of the movie, I thought there was a good idea, but just poorly executed.

What didn't work:

The most painstaking part of this movie is how bad the special effects are. The way they show the shuttle bay landing sequence, it looks worse than the old series effects shots. Moreover most of the shots of the Enterprise, the ship looks dead. There's one particular shot where the Enterprise is shown against the moon, and you can clearly see it's just a backdrop plate.

Cornball scenes, like the Enterprise campout. What should have been a humorous scene, just comes off as rediculously bad acting.

The woman who plays the Romulan council. Could they have possibly found a worse actress to play her? In addition there's nothing about her that looks Romulan. They cover up her ears, and she wears this long flowing dress that makes her more look like Princess Leah than a Romulan.

What did work:

I thought the premise of the movie was very compelling. A Vulcan who rejected the teachings of Logic and embraced emotion, wanting to search for his creator. That part is very much a part of Star Trek.

Sybok was a well crafted character and I thought well played by Laurence Luckenbil.

I would love to see some sort of cut with Star Trek V, to get rid of most of the corny scenes, and updated special effects, to see if it was more compelling.
Out of curiosity, one thing I've always wanted to do was just replace the special effects (all the space shots, the mattes, everything) and then present it with all the rest intact.

Just to see what it's like without effects so bad they take you out the film. To see if it affect perception that much.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Well,the Enterprise in the new movie was brand new. It performed fine. The Enterprise D in the first STTNG was brand new. Did fine.
Ok, rewatch 4. They ellude to the fact they renamed a ship in honor of Kirk's being "busted down" to Captain, and saving the Earth.

But 5 makes it clear that the ship is new and untried.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Ok, rewatch 4. They ellude to the fact they renamed a ship in honor of Kirk's being "busted down" to Captain, and saving the Earth.

But 5 makes it clear that the ship is new and untried.
So... they give him a crap ship for their saving Earth?

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
So... they give him a crap ship for their saving Earth?
The USW was on strike.