The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > What a Star Trek Remake should have!!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Midshipman

Post What a Star Trek Remake should have!!!!

Instead of harping on what is and was good about Star Trek by rebooting tge original series why not come up with something new and original that comments on today's social issues much like the original did.

For example: if you set Trek 1000 years after the Next Generation Era you would have a lot to work with. My own personal opinion is that you wipe all existance of a Federation and Starfleet. You have still have remenants of the galaxy left but it is fractured much like our world is today (regardless of political opininon) we are at war, health care needs work, we have to find new and improved ways to fuel our cars, and the list could go on. The point is there is a lot of things today that could bring into the show and comment on.

In this series, Earth is advanced to where they can still use space travel but they can't do massive exploration like they could with the Enterprise and other ships.

Other elements you have is the cast, you have a group of people that want to leave earth and explore the galaxy to see what remenants of Starfleet still exist at this point you have a band of people willing to risk their lives to rebuild. I think an essential cat member would have to be an actor that is Arab, maybe not muslim, but an Arab character. You have much like the original series a multi-racial and multi-alien group of people.

The ship is also important. Instead of having an elaborate ship you have a garbage hoop with a sautered piece of the Enterprise on the front. (NCC-1701 USS Enterprise)

Anyway let me know what y'all think
Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Lieutenant Commander

No offense but I avoid that type of show like the plague. If this is the kind of stuff you like, you should just go watch Jeremiah or Jericho. As far as I know, Star Trek is not about war and constantly fighting for survival. It was bad enough to have war in DS9 for so long, we don't need another go at it.

If I understand you correctly, you're basically stripping Star Trek of some of its core components. The concept of social issues seems to be the only thing that makes your scenario Trek-like. I'm sorry but I just can't buy it.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Midshipman

It's cool and I respect your sentiments. I like Jericho so it is funny you say that.

I do however disagree that it strips Star Trek from its basic components. When you have something like a universal apocalypse you have almost a chance to start over to begin again. Nothing lasts forever

If anything this series would focus on the core elements such as a group of men, women and aliens that come together to better themselves. There Trek isn't one of survival but rather one of again exploring strange new worlds and new civilizations. Even the same civilizations that have been there before but have changed. There mission is to make the galaxy once again federated and together.

Isn't that what Star Trek was about? Or have I misinterpreted the show?

War is what destroyed the galaxy is isn't the focus or MacGuffin of the show because it is over. Complete Galatic Reconstruction is the key element and it starts with people willing to fight for that.

I see your point of view though and I am sure many fans feel the same way.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Lieutenant

In my opinion, star trek is about perfection, or at least the constant struggle to find it. The federation, earth, starfleet, its a Utopia, social justice, economic stability and intergalactic welfare. If you take those things away, you have something that is complete foreign to its fans, and very much against Roddenberry's ideals for the show.

And in any case. Q already said that the human race just keeps speeding along towards perfection/godliness.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Ensign

Well nothing is ever perfect from time to time it is good to strip down to the core elements and get back to the basics. Speaking of perfection I can't wait to see Shatner in the new movie.

I would like to see what happens to the vulcans and romulans after a 1000 years of being rejoined together I bet they at alot like pointed ear humans.

Plus Q was and is a liar

Last edited by shortround : 02-22-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Midshipman

nothing is ever utopic in any society federated or whatever. Yes you are right when you say that is the symblism and meaning behind the federation but like I said before nothing lasts forever.

People will continue towards perfection but there are always things along the way that hinder that or revert you down another path like destruction and evil actions of other people.

I do not think this idea is something foreign to Star Trek fans it is just something that they do not like to think about.

The Federation is an ideology, which differs from the Romulan and even Borg ideologies. Who is to say that those group's manifest destiny can't over power the federation's. I mean look at our society WEstern civilization generally believe in the same thing but that hasn't stopped other nations from trying to destroy us and in the end something gives in the case of this series the bad guys won and the universe became broken and unfriendly just as it was before First Contact.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger22 View Post

I do not think this idea is something foreign to Star Trek fans it is just something that they do not like to think about.
I'm not going to disagree with anything you said, and this line may especially be true. My inability to live life as well as the people in star trek is a part of why i am so cynical yet idealistic about our current global situations.

The fact that federation is NOT perfect, and may someday fail is not something that i (or many other fans) want to think about, so if they make a show about it...it'd just be depressing.

ds9 was depressing at times..which is why its not my favorite. I like it. but... i dunno. war is frightening and at times hopeless. Star trek imho should be neither (except in good fun like night terrors and the clown episode ya know)
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Midshipman

I would agree with you that the series might have a depressin tone and that was something that Trek hasn't had before but I am merely pointing out that what was working under the Berman regime of producing Star TRek no longer works and now that JJ Abrams is on the helm for the next movie it seems as thought they want to try and make popular what was already popular. TOS is Star Trek to me and nothing else matters. Next Generations was ok and there were things about DS9 that I liked but Voyager was terrible and so was Enterprise.

But from a marketing, trend and business standpoint if you want to reboot Trek in this day and age you have to make it different. Look at the most successful shows all of which are dark and depressing, CSI, LOST, CSI-Miami.

People today want to see struggle, loss and most of all survival because they truly beleive the world is headed that way.

Me personally I do not know where the world is headed hopefully to more space exploration and eventuallly a world like that of TOS but there is going to be a lot of problems before we get there.

Look at First Contact, World War 3 or 4 was happening and out of that came the first ever warp signature and first contact with the Vulcans. So out of a depressing part of civilization comes something good.

I would like to see a Trek film or show explore that.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger22 View Post
I would agree with you that the series might have a depressin tone and that was something that Trek hasn't had before but I am merely pointing out that what was working under the Berman regime of producing Star TRek no longer works and now that JJ Abrams is on the helm for the next movie it seems as thought they want to try and make popular what was already popular. TOS is Star Trek to me and nothing else matters. Next Generations was ok and there were things about DS9 that I liked but Voyager was terrible and so was Enterprise.

But from a marketing, trend and business standpoint if you want to reboot Trek in this day and age you have to make it different. Look at the most successful shows all of which are dark and depressing, CSI, LOST, CSI-Miami.

People today want to see struggle, loss and most of all survival because they truly beleive the world is headed that way.

Me personally I do not know where the world is headed hopefully to more space exploration and eventuallly a world like that of TOS but there is going to be a lot of problems before we get there.

Look at First Contact, World War 3 or 4 was happening and out of that came the first ever warp signature and first contact with the Vulcans. So out of a depressing part of civilization comes something good.

I would like to see a Trek film or show explore that.
You certainly make a valid point about darker programs providing more interesting and intricate plots and I think there will be a darker element to this film going by JJ's past record. But Star Trek is ultimately about shining a light through that darkness. It's about HOPE......hope for the future & hope in the basic decency of humanity.

Fine, bring a bit of darkness to Trek, but let a wee bit of light shine through in the shape of the Enterprise crew!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Midshipman

You could still have the light shine through the darkness in this version with the crew.

these people are trying to rebuild the federation and find help in doing that.