The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I Wonder Whether There is an Alternate Mirror Universe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

Default I Wonder Whether There is an Alternate Mirror Universe

Recall that there is Mirror Universe for the prime universe (e.g., "Mirror, Mirror" and "In a Mirror, Darkly").

Would there be an alternate mirror universe as well as the alternate universe seen in this new movie? And if so, would Vulcan still be around in it? If so, imagine the possibilities.

For one thing, Nero's incursion wouldn't have destroyed Vulcan, if there is a mirror alternate, since Nero wouldn't be a villain. (He would be a mirror version of the alternate Nero.)
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Lieutenant Commander

In the Alternate Mirror Universe, Spock is an abusive boyfriend for sure.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
Recall that there is Mirror Universe for the prime universe (e.g., "Mirror, Mirror" and "In a Mirror, Darkly").

Would there be an alternate mirror universe as well as the alternate universe seen in this new movie? And if so, would Vulcan still be around in it? If so, imagine the possibilities.

For one thing, Nero's incursion wouldn't have destroyed Vulcan, if there is a mirror alternate, since Nero wouldn't be a villain. (He would be a mirror version of the alternate Nero.)
The TNG episode Parallels explains, in some detail the existence of many different timelines that exist, and that we only inhabit one of many. So, in that respect Nero jumped from his timeline into another timeline... but once you really try to understand Quantum physics the headache begins...
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Lieutenant

I thought the Klingons were still the Klingons in the Mirror Universe. It seemed that the evil nature of humans in that universe was what changed the direction of history.

However, I don't remember (or, I should say, I never really paid attention to) the geopolitical (astropolitical?) structure of the Alpha and Beta quadrants in the mirror DS9 episodes, so I don't know who would've responded to the supernova crisis.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 05-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Ensign

Sure there is, and there's a universe in which the Zindi destroyed the Earth, and one in which the Earth destroyed itself...even the events of the City on the Edge of Forever didn't really save the world, they really just selected which worldline the principal characters returned to. Every decision creates a universe.

Now whether that number of universes is infinite (Aleph-null, containing the results of all decision trees) or transinfinite (containing all conceivable patterns of universal laws and events) is still open to question.

Questions like: Enterprise vs Death Star? Peter Parker in Starfleet?

I need a nap.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Vice Admiral

And there is a universe in which something genetically happened to humans long ago for whatever reason and we now have mutants. If you accept the Data thing that all possibilities did occur then there is infact a universe with mutants battling normals. Thats the way the ball bounces when such theories are accepted as fact. Maybe an earlier Q in that universe did it by making one teeny weeny change in human DNA in the past. Gotta accept that one if you accept alternates.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Rear Admiral

In one alternate universe, Starfleet and the Federation only existed as part of a long-running entertainment series. In that universe, Humans never did develop warp drive nor ever came into contact with extraterrestrial beings...
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Ensign

Exactly!

(It was the one in which McCoy's phaser never did kill that bum.)
Old 05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Ensign

Fortunately, it takes a helluva lotta energy, or some really weird quantum events for any of these universes to interact, so you don't have to worry about too much random scrambling.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

In the Trek universe, there appears to be a special relationship between universes and their mirrors -- and there appears to be at least one universe that is exactly the opposite of any particular one. The one we know of that is the exact opposite of the prime universe is the Mirror Universe. Apparently, the Terran Empire was to fall in the Mirror Universe, but not for decades after the events of the movie.

Whether or not there is an exact mirror universe for this new alternate reality, since Mirror Vulcans do exist, and if Spock Prime can open a portal to the Mirror Universe, then Mirror Vulcans could colonize the new reality, which is now largely devoid of Vulcans of its own.