The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > jj abrams is the new nicholas meyer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I say Nolan. Look what he did for Batman.
...made it completely unrecognizeable to the source material turning Batman into a homicidal vigilante who cares little for the amount of property damage he inflicts or the lives that might be lost in the crossfire?

There's no detective in that movie, and the action hero that's in it has a wildly inconsistant personality. Both movies hinge on ridiculous devices that it's impossible to suspend disbelief to enjoy (a machine that vibrates water but doesn't vibrate the human body apart although it's 70% water? and the one in the second movie was completely stupid from the ground up).

It's true those "Batman" movies made a lot of money helping slow people feel like they were watching intelligent cinema, but Star Trek isn't a vapid "lulz i iz gritty!!!!" crapfest and I hope to god Nolan stays on his short bus with his money and far, far away. Star Trek has excellent actors and characters and is about to kick Batman Begins to the curb in earnings, meaning quite hopefully XII will outperform that awful, cheesy-silly "The Dark Knight."
Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefox View Post
...made it completely unrecognizeable to the source material turning Batman into a homicidal vigilante who cares little for the amount of property damage he inflicts or the lives that might be lost in the crossfire?

There's no detective in that movie, and the action hero that's in it has a wildly inconsistant personality. Both movies hinge on ridiculous devices that it's impossible to suspend disbelief to enjoy (a machine that vibrates water but doesn't vibrate the human body apart although it's 70% water? and the one in the second movie was completely stupid from the ground up).

It's true those "Batman" movies made a lot of money helping stupid people feel like they were watching intelligent cinema, but Star Trek isn't a vapid "lulz i iz gritty!!!!" crapfest and I hope to god Nolan stays on his short bus with his money and far, far away.
Don't even start on the Batman franchise.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
Don't even start on the Batman franchise.
I'm just sayin', I'm shocked anybody managed to make a couple worse movies than "Wouldn't it be great if the costumes had nipples?!"

Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Commander

Quote:
I'm just sayin', I'm shocked anybody managed to make a couple worse movies than "Wouldn't it be great if the costumes had nipples?!"

In your opinion.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
No need to be rude. The commentary I have on my disk is The Shat and Nimoy. And I quoted your entire thing because I don't know to break then into different pieces. You'll probably call me stupid, huh?

And yes, looking it up he HELPED write the screenplay with like 5 other people. So I was wrong, but he didn't have a HUGE influence. Also someone said on here he was involved in ST3, and he was NOT. He just killed Spock and wanted no part in "bringing him back" at the time. So scuse the heck outta me.

People ask for links on here all the time. When I asked you I believe I even said "please" and "sir". Someone didn't think ST2 was gonna be called "TUC", and I pulled the quote.
And why would I be "deliberately" uninformed. That insinuates a lie, and I don't appreciate it. Consider me done with this thread or from talking to you again. I've NEVER been treated rudely one here before. Your little happy face does nothing to signify you are being flippant. Now leave me alone.
My apologies. I perceived rudeness in your tone, and I'm sorry I misinterpreted. And no, I don't think you're stupid. But I was loath to look stupid myself expending the time and energy proving something that I believed you would already know, based on your posts in this thread regarding the two other films he worked on.

(now people who text there messages in all lowercase letters with no punctuation on the other hand i don't know what i think of them because my eyes cant even take the time to read their posts but thats neither here nor there)

Meyer and Bennet wrote the script, with Meyer handling most of the middle act (the 20th century parts). The other two writers were fired when they couldn't turn in a decent script; writers' guild law was interpreted in this case to ensure they still received screen credit. III is the best (or closest) indicator of what the humor in IV might have sounded like without Meyer's participation. Although that's not much to go on. Bennett hired him rather than write the script himself.

In another example of the 'balance' between Meyer and Bennett, Meyer wanted to end the film in SF bay with the whales saving the planet. But fortunately Bennett prevailed in his insistence that this film wrap up the trilogy to date with the extended epilogue we got. (And no, I honestly couldn't cite where I read this one)

Last edited by samwiseb : 05-31-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Star Trek has excellent actors and characters and is about to kick Batman Begins to the curb in earnings, meaning quite hopefully XII will outperform that awful, cheesy-silly "The Dark Knight."
Not a Nolan fan?

Anyway, no chance of any Trek film eclipsing TDK.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Vice Admiral

How about a Heath Ledger fan? Much of DK was the expected hero-thing but he made that movie much more than it otherwise would have been.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm kind of in the minority that while he was really, really good - his death seemed to metamorphose his role into more than it kinda was when you saw the film.

I firmly believe he wouldn't even have been nominated for the Oscar if he hadn't died. Even his death can only explain so much of TDK's success, and it kind of unfairly overshadows the great work done by every other cast member of the film.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quite possible. But its also a matter of the competition that year.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Nolan did a Masterful Job. I'd like to see his hand in more.
Tim Burton was a legend with legendary imagination.

Joel Schulmacher...was...unremarkable.
The epitome of ...awful and tasteless. He's in the same Category with Ray Ratburn (X-men 3)