The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > jj abrams is the new nicholas meyer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Would be a Klingon movie.
How do you say cheeseburger in Klingon?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhess68 View Post
How do you say cheeseburger in Klingon?
Whatever it is, it probably involves a lot of phlem in the back of the throat to get the proper pronounciation.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
(Ready for the flamers)

Wear well, these flame retardant pajamas. They may be your only hope. (j/k)

Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Vice Admiral

The path of the righteous Klingon is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil Romulans. Blessed is he, who in the name of battle and honor, kills the weak with bat'leth and d'ktahg, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost honor. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my warriors. And you will know my name is Kahless when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Last edited by Samuel : 05-29-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
It's not like he is some Trek God. Listen to his commentary during 2 and 6. He didn't know jack shiznit about ST and didn't really care. I loved his work on ST2, but frankly think he was a bit heavy handed with ST6, cramming his political ideologies down our throats and patting himslef on the back for being so clever about it. Frankly, I thought ST6 dragged, and had the most anti-climactic cheezy ending of all of them. (Ready for the flamers)

If anybody did anything to reinvigorate Trek, it was Harve Bennett. (Of course, he lost his marbles when he wanted to do the ST:Academy with new actors portraying the old characters....hmmm, sound familiar?)

My point is, I doubt Nick Meyers gives a rat's about this new ST. And just becasue he made an almost perfect film in ST:2, that doesnt give him the right to just jump in some 28 years later full of pizz and vinegar.
was that a subtle allusion to Kirk's famous "I've Cheated Death" speech I detect?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Vice Admiral

harve benett did a good job,but when it comes down to star trek 5,he was the one who said:star trek 5 is better than star trek 4 just before it came out (watch the star trek V dvd extras) JJ abrams is by far the strongest person ever took command of the franchise,and if u dont believe me,then believe the box office
Old 05-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
Whatever it is, it probably involves a lot of phlem in the back of the throat to get the proper pronounciation.
yeah, Klingon is the only language that can truly make steak sound unappetizing.

but at least their women are hot.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Commander

I don't think either Harve Bennett nor Nick Meyer were complete without the other, at least not initially. Bennett had more respect for the history, but he couldn't bring to ST the literacy of Meyer. Bennett had the story for STII, but he didn't have a working script. On the other hand, Bennett was more restrained and knew how to end the movie (whether they were actually going to bring Spock back or not).

Bennet was able to write III, and he understood that in order to bring Spock back it had to almost not be worth it (dramatically speaking). Still, the movie cheats in a way, and I'm right with Meyer when he said "Having seen it, I still don't believe it. But whatever, Spock is back." IV couldn't have worked without Meyer, but again Bennett was right (against Meyer's protests), in that they needed an extended epilogue to wrap up the subplots from III.

For VI, I think Meyer's movie (not Bennett's prequel) was the right movie to make at that time... especially after V had permanently weakened the TOS movie franchise. I don't find VI any more heavy-handed than Trek, by tradition, already was.

For a long-running franchise like this, you gotta have balls as well as brains and heart. If you don't have the balls (properly restrained) to assert your creative license, your franchise is already stagnant.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I don't think either Harve Bennett nor Nick Meyer were complete without the other, at least not initially. Bennett had more respect for the history, but he couldn't bring to ST the literacy of Meyer. Bennett had the story for STII, but he didn't have a working script. On the other hand, Bennett was more restrained and knew how to end the movie (whether they were actually going to bring Spock back or not).

Bennet was able to write III, and he understood that in order to bring Spock back it had to almost not be worth it (dramatically speaking). Still, the movie cheats in a way, and I'm right with Meyer when he said "Having seen it, I still don't believe it. But whatever, Spock is back." IV couldn't have worked without Meyer, but again Bennett was right (against Meyer's protests), in that they needed an extended epilogue to wrap up the subplots from III.

For VI, I think Meyer's movie (not Bennett's prequel) was the right movie to make at that time... especially after V had permanently weakened the TOS movie franchise. I don't find VI any more heavy-handed than Trek, by tradition, already was.

For a long-running franchise like this, you gotta have balls as well as brains and heart. If you don't have the balls (properly restrained) to assert your creative license, your franchise is already stagnant.
Agreed.

Sometimes the pairings that work best are not the ones you might think. TWOF/TSFS/TVH are my favourite's within the overall 6 and I think it's clear that together they worked in a way that helped Star Trek rather than hindered it (which might have been the case had they been working alone).

I'm not sure where Abrams' long term plans are, but with some of the things he, Orci and Kurtzman did in the film (Vulcan) - well, balls don't seem to be in question at this point.

Anyway, while I think they have to modulate some stuff for a sequel and give us a bit more of a meatier story, I want to see them come back for the next film.

I'd like Abrams to direct but if he doesn't - it's his choice.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Agreed.

Sometimes the pairings that work best are not the ones you might think. TWOF/TSFS/TVH are my favourite's within the overall 6 and I think it's clear that together they worked in a way that helped Star Trek rather than hindered it (which might have been the case had they been working alone).

I'm not sure where Abrams' long term plans are, but with some of the things he, Orci and Kurtzman did in the film (Vulcan) - well, balls don't seem to be in question at this point.

Anyway, while I think they have to modulate some stuff for a sequel and give us a bit more of a meatier story, I want to see them come back for the next film.

I'd like Abrams to direct but if he doesn't - it's his choice.
Definitely want to see more meat and brains in the next movie. They've proven they have balls, so I wouldn't mind if those were trimmed a bit (although I definitely don't mind being shocked again either).

I don't think the new Trek was quite the next Batman Begins, although using that analogy I'd like the next one to by the next Dark Knight... more thoughtful and complex, but also slower. And perhaps (a little) darker (than Trek 2009). Since it will be the second act of a planned trilogy and all.