The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What should the "New' time line be called? (Alpha Timeline?)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Ensign

Default What should the "New' time line be called? (Alpha Timeline?)

Okay, so based on Nimoy's Spock being referred to as Spock Prime, it is pretty much established that the original timeline is now known as the "Prime" timeline or universe/reality.

So far, there seems to be no definitive term I've seen for the new timeline, other than calling it "New", the "Abrams" timeline or, in what I think is kind of a snub on Memory Alpha's site even though it refers to a line from the movie, its just constantly referred to as an "alternate reality".

Personally, I think we should refer to the new timeline as "Alpha", and here is why:

The original Enterprise (referring to TOS and in the movies) was NCC-1701, right? Ending in 1, sort of like "Prime" in a way. When the Enterprise is destroyed in Star Trek 3, in Star Trek 4, the new Enterprise after the original is NCC-1701A.

A is also appropriate referring to this timeline given the "Alternate" reality tag, and the fact that it is also call the "Abrams" Trek or timeline.

Therefore, the use of A seems very fitting for this timeline based on all of the above, and since the A is referred to in the Greek alphabet as Alpha, I think that the best official term for the new time line should be the Alpha time line.

So what do you think of calling them the Prime timeline and Alpha timeline respectively?

Hey, plus, Kirk is an Alpha male, and this is a reboot to the Kirk era after all, so its even more fitting!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Rear Admiral

There's another thread about this. Consensus hasn't been reached yet. I suspect the universe will unfold as it should and what its going to be called will occur naturally and organicly. Unless someone of prominence says "This is it!" and we fans who might give two sh!ts about such things agree with the term.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Ensign

I think if enough fans started using the same term though, it would stick.

I mean, hell, Abrams and the writers had the Enterprise being built in a dock because of a single fan art piece (and they really should pay that guy something in my opinion if they didn't, lol).
Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Commander

idk in my head, Prime and Alpha almost have similar connotations, so Alpha's not working for me.

We'll never decide on one thing, I'm afraid. There was a poll and even that didn't settle the matter. There's about as much consensus on a name as there is on a length for the ship. Meaning there's none.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Ensign

It's called the Back to the Future II timeline. Old Biff from his original timeline went back to 1955 and gave his younger self that sports almanac that allowed young Biff to win all the sports bets and get rich, which allowed him to own the town and turn it to crap and kill George McFly, which changed Marty's family's destiny. Nero and Spock Prime ended up back in the 23rd century, where Nero killed George Kirk earlier than planned. It changed Jim's destiny because he never knew his father and he became a renegade. It was lucky for him and his future that one Captain Christopher Pike challenged him to change his life. Jim was on his way to being thrown out of the Academy on his a$$, until the big "distress call" was received and threw everybody into active service. Had Leonard McCoy not been such a good friend to Jim, Kirk would have never made it to the Enterprise. And the rest is "new" history.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
idk in my head, Prime and Alpha almost have similar connotations, so Alpha's not working for me.
Yeah, but to me the distinction is like between that of 1 and A.

Sure, they're both first (except that A is second when adding it to the 1 in Trek), but they're first in entirely different systems of denotation.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonnen View Post
Yeah, but to me the distinction is like between that of 1 and A.

Sure, they're both first (except that A is second when adding it to the 1 in Trek), but they're first in entirely different systems of denotation.
Mmmm...still not working for me.

Star Trek Alpha in the Abramsverse?

I'm still partial to STAU. Star Trek Abrams/Alternate Universe. (you can pick whatever you want the A to stand for) However, that name has its own set of problems too so it's likely no good either.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonnen View Post
I think if enough fans started using the same term though, it would stick.

I mean, hell, Abrams and the writers had the Enterprise being built in a dock because of a single fan art piece (and they really should pay that guy something in my opinion if they didn't, lol).
Or have him offed, some would say.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Or have him offed, some would say.

All of the structural integrity and "how do we get this into orbit" arguments are HIS fault! *grabs a pitchfork*
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post

All of the structural integrity and "how do we get this into orbit" arguments are HIS fault! *grabs a pitchfork*
I'm thinking a little justified mob violence at this point!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'