The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Size of starfleet???
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Lieutenant

Eh, that never concerned me. I see the Constitution-class heavy cruiser to be on par with the U.S. Navy's supercarriers in prestige. The Navy only has 11 supercarriers to date (the Enterprise and the 10 ships of the Nimitz-class), so it's not far fetched to have only a dozen such ships in Star Fleet (especially if you look at a fleet of some 200-250 ships total).

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 05-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Commander

It's no big deal, but it would not kill anything if there were sixteen or even twenty four of them. (This is about the number of Battleships in the US fleet following the Washington Treaty.)

I just want to see Star Fleet to honor classic names like Saratoga, Constellation, Yorktown, Lexington, Akagi, et al...

The Navy is trapped by politics and hence political naming, but no reason for Star Fleet to be.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Ha! But we get to split the cost with the other Federation members, so we still get health care!

Well, except for Vulcan now. They probably can't contribute many material resources. I imagine they're a bit cash/credit strapped at the moment.
Ha! There are a whole lot of other people that will need universal health care. Forget about 300 million. How about 300 billion? Oh yes. Dont forget the feds now have to worry about all those lost taxes from hard working Vulcans.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Ha! There are a whole lot of other people that will need universal health care. Forget about 300 million. How about 300 billion? Oh yes. Dont forget the feds now have to worry about all those lost taxes from hard working Vulcans.
Well the cost of health care will be lower without insurance companies so the money saved from that should cover everyone. Now the Vulcans, they probably like meditate their illnesses away so we won't have to worry about them.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Yes but you are forgetting about Hypochondriac Prime. They are one of those exceptions that require a huge amount of medical care. The Vulcans dont like having to pay for those guys health care. Also for example, injuries due to faulty transporters are higher than you think. Occasionally there is a recall but not until there are alot of accidents because money does not exist.... thus there is nothing to sue a company for and force a recall.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Commander

Quote:
Yes but you are forgetting about Hypochondriac Prime. They are one of those exceptions that require a huge amount of medical care. The Vulcans dont like having to pay for those guys health care. Also for example, injuries due to faulty transporters are higher than you think. Occasionally there is a recall but not until there are alot of accidents because money does not exist.... thus there is nothing to sue a company for and force a recall.
Money exists. Try to buy a girl a shot of Jack without it!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Ensign

You can't expect anyone here to truly give you the answer to that.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Ensign

The US needs to worry about China more than it does about Russia these days and beyond.

Quote:
Quite right. So instead of the US worrying about the Russians both get to worry about the big fleets of the Klingons, Romulans, Cardasians, Borg, Tholians, and who knows what else. Starships that are much more complex and expensive than naval ships that dont need life support, torpedoes/phasers and only have to go a few thousand miles instead of across the galaxy. Dont forget all the starbases that need their own defenses against enemies. So much for universal health care.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyluvs View Post
The US needs to worry about China more than it does about Russia these days and beyond.
No argument from me about that. But China doesnt have ICBMs or ballistic missile subs... yet.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Not even for a few Orion slave girls? One each for monday-saturday? Sunday is a day of rest...or group fun depending on how tired you are.
I'll tell you everything I know for just one.

give me Cadet Gaila, and then we'll talk.