The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to Make Star Trek More Like Star Wars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Commander

Default How to Make Star Trek More Like Star Wars

http://io9.com/5062369/5-ways-to-mak...like-star-wars

What do you think? Did they succeed? 3 out of 5? 4 out of 5? No chained Uhura as a slave girl being held captive by an oversized slug. Maybe we'll get that in the sequel.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

HA! Now that's funny!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Ensign

He hit the important ones: Make Your Heroes Less Perfect, and Less Talk, More Action.

I wasn't aware Star Trek ever paid particularly more attention to the laws of physics than Star Wars, so I think that one's moot.

I think the Trek and Wars franchises have had just the right amount of reciprocation. Wars wouldn't exist without Trek, and Abrams took just the right cues from Star Wars while avoiding the pitfalls of occasional hokeyness.

The characters were the best part of the movie. They had a lot of depth and conflict. Bones WAS that alcoholic we all always expected him to be. Uhura was quick to write Kirk off multiple times. Kirk was out of control, directionless, and self destructive. Scotty's washed up. Spock actually HAS a human half to his human half...Brilliant.

Okay, well, Chekov and Sulu were a little flawless, but I hope if their roles are expanded so is the depth of them.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Commander

Chekov has a speech impediment with his Ws, Wiktor Wiktor etc., and Sulu can't find the Parking Break on the Enterprise.

Sound like flaws to me
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Chekov has a speech impediment with his Ws, Wiktor Wiktor etc., and Sulu can't find the Parking Break on the Enterprise.

Sound like flaws to me
Point taken. I'm not saying they made them unbelievably perfect. Chekov's heartbroken reaction to losing Spock's mom is an example. The actors play them with depth, but they don't have any visible character flaws -- just enough imperfection that you easily believe they'd be as well rounded as the rest with more screentime.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Trek and Wars are 2 totally different franchises. Let's keep them that way.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Ensign

Star Wars is in the high fantasy genre set in a science fiction setting.

Star Trek is in the science fiction genre.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefox View Post
I wasn't aware Star Trek ever paid particularly more attention to the laws of physics than Star Wars, so I think that one's moot.
Sorry to disagree but this is a huge difference for my appreciation of Star Trek versus Star Wars.

In literature, the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy is that a Sci Fi concept might not be practical or possible today - but it might be reasonable and normal some day as an EXTENSION of known science and engineering. Nothing in Sci Fi should loudly violate the laws of known physics - or at least not in a way that might some day be achieved. Fastasy, on the other hand, throws physics and reason to the wind and re-writes the rules of the world we live in whole cloth. Wizards and Elves and Hobbits and Witches/Wizards who attend boarding school. AND - spaceships that bank and do barrel rolls in space just like biplanes at 10,000 feet, "the Force", Emporers with lightning coming from their fingers, etc., etc.

Trek is Sci Fi and Star Wars is Fantasy. So long as you recognize that, you can enjoy both.

Star Trek XI, however, is moving much too close to Fantasy for the good of the franchise, I fear. The thing that drove me crazy was Spock's Ship (the jellyfish?) which banked and rolled and did manoeuvers in space, just like a Ti Fighter. I was really offended to see that - but figured that maybe it was such an advanced ship with that crazy spinning ball design that perhaps the manoeuvers could be explained by physics in some way. Still, message to Paramount - WATCH IT !!!

There is a huge difference between violating the laws of known current science - and violating the laws of physics. And that is where Science Fiction lives. And that is where Trek lives.

....stepping down from soap box now.....

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Hehehe. Well we all know Kirk has a fondness for the ladies. That could get him into trouble. His amorous habits could cause him to bang the leader of a planet and start a war. Hmm... that plot actually sounds a little familar.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triox View Post
Star Wars is in the high fantasy genre set in a science fiction setting.

Star Trek is in the science fiction genre.
Yes, and no. Both are sci-fi/Action Adventure. But Wars is patterned more after swashbuckling tales, and "Flash Gordon" style of Sci-Fi. The movies are fun.

Trek is more an exporation of the human condition in alot of ways though the use of sci fi constructs. Trek makes reasoned guesses at technology of the future also, based upon whatever timeframe the show or film was made in.