The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Between Kirk's birth and First Mission....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Commander

Well, yes - that's exactly how it went. Nero went through first, arrived first, and then was able to figure out that Spock would arrive at a particular location at a particular time. It's not that difficult, really...

Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Well, yes - that's exactly how it went. Nero went through first, arrived first, and then was able to figure out that Spock would arrive at a particular location at a particular time. It's not that difficult, really...
Really?

Don't get me wrong, I can hand wave away alot of stuff, but this makes no sense.

I can hand wave away the fact that they go from Romulan space to somewhere near Klingon space (confirmed with communications chatter in movie opening) and that might confuse Nero and crew a bit at first. The reason for asking about current whereabouts of Spock and such (who Nero knows went through after he did). Finding out not only is Spock not there, but no one has heard of him and that he has gone into the past as well might set someone off into a rage. No problem. Hand-wavey away.
The rest I can't. No how, no way.

Presuming Nero could look back at his sensor logs post incident, in some sort of detail and in a calmer state (oops! he got captured didn't he?) and establish when Spock would cross the threshold as well (also presuming Spock could not change this at all in any measurable way by any means) and is able to calculate the distance from point a (start) to point b (finish) for himself and also presume that this point would not fluctuate to a further point c (either forward or backward in space again presuming the direction of the black hole is the key factor) based on his own incident:

Illustration.
Point A..........................Point B
Past.............................Nero Arrives

Point A...........Point C...............Point B
Past.............Spock Arrives.......Nero Arrives

or is it
Point A..........................Point B..........................Point C
Past.............................Nero Arrives..................Spock Arrives

and that Nero is able to do these wondrous calculations in his head based on no other evidence of arrival other than his own (will Spock arrive in 25 years? 25 months? 25 weeks? whatever) without having even a secondary incident to base any of these calculations on is truly magical.

It's like trying to predict a lightning strike based solely on a single previous strike while presuming there is a pattern and that the strike will hit in exactly the same spot.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Lieutenant

Maybe Nero and crew went to Romulus in this time period (We dont know) and they seized him after his wild tale of what happened in the other timeline. Nero escaped only to be captured by the Klingons and sent to the prison planet. After a long period his crew recaptures the Narada and goes to rescue him from the Klingons in order to capture Spock prime.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 AM
Midshipman

How about this, after the Kelvin hit the Narada, it was obvious the Narada was pretty heavily damaged. It was a starship collision after all. So seeing as they were on the Klingon border, perhaps a raiding party captured Nero, and it took a considerable time to repair the Narada and be able to free Nero.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

How Did Nero know that Spock was coming at all what if Spock escaped the black hole
his ship was smaller and faster so it was possible. why did he assume spock would follow in the first place. unless he had sensor reading of him entering and in those readings detected the time discrepancy betwwen events that might have helped him calculate the exact time Spock would come through

Or he could Have read the script and knew it from there
Old 05-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribble-eater View Post
How Did Nero know that Spock was coming at all what if Spock escaped the black hole
his ship was smaller and faster so it was possible. why did he assume spock would follow in the first place. unless he had sensor reading of him entering and in those readings detected the time discrepancy betwwen events that might have helped him calculate the exact time Spock would come through

Or he could Have read the script and knew it from there

because that black hole in the 24th century was enormous. it pulled the narada in first because the narada was close to it. the jellyfish is such a small vessel it couldn't pull it's self out, so therefore spock prime got sucked in. However right after Spock Prime was though the black hole the Enterprise-E arrived, luckly she was too far away to be sucked in.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

maybe she has been sucked in we just dont see her for 25 years or so
Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Lieutenant

you mean the Enterprise-E?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
because that black hole in the 24th century was enormous. it pulled the narada in first because the narada was close to it. the jellyfish is such a small vessel it couldn't pull it's self out, so therefore spock prime got sucked in. However right after Spock Prime was though the black hole the Enterprise-E arrived, luckly she was too far away to be sucked in.
Thanks for the info
But Um I didn't see the Enterprise E
is that in a book or something or the comic that came out
I never saw the comic Have You? and if so is it worth getting
Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribble-eater View Post
Thanks for the info
But Um I didn't see the Enterprise E
is that in a book or something or the comic that came out
I never saw the comic Have You? and if so is it worth getting

yes sir, last page in the STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN comic book. it is very wroth getting. it actally is part of the story but focuses on nero and how he got so pyscho. plus it has some of the next generation characters in it. i would recomend you buy it.