The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Animated Series-Your Opinon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

A couple of years ago, StarTrek.com included all of the information from TAS into the library section. Quite a few people took that to mean that the show is truly canon now. Wikipedia and Memory Alpha also consider it canon.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Are u saying some of the episodes were turned into adult novels?
Foster used the scripts for all the shows to produce printed adaptations (in a similar way to how James Blish produced short stories from the Original Series).
You can find them here
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ek+logs+foster
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
A couple of years ago, StarTrek.com included all of the information from TAS into the library section. Quite a few people took that to mean that the show is truly canon now. Wikipedia and Memory Alpha also consider it canon.
But in spite of his involvement with the show, GR did not. At least not all of it.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
But in spite of his involvement with the show, GR did not. At least not all of it.
I liked David Gerrold's take on that. He said something to the effect that it had the original cast, it had Gene's name on it, and a bunch of writers from TOS. Why not make it canon?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I rather like it. The stories are a tad less complex than TOS but considerably more sophisticated than Scooby Doo.

Plus, it looks great!

Also, Uhura took command of the ship at one point...that rocked (but, alas, there was that silly Mudd episode where Spock went all goopy over Chapel....blech!).

Unfortunately, the powers that be (aka, the Okudas) have decreed that except Yesteryear, it is not canon. I'm sort of hoping Abrams gives Uhura some time in the Captain's chair to make up for that.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default alan dean foster

[quote=chasco;209020]They also read extremely well in Alan Dean Foster's novelisations.
quote]
I read these when I was a kid and did not realize they were TAS, until I bought a p_i_r_a_t_e_d copy of TAS on ebay many years back. Cool, I remembered some of the stories.

But hopefully nobody will get the idea to do a reboot of TAS cause Star Wars "the cartoon" was eewww to me.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Lieutenant

i think the animated series was great especially with the added voices of the original cast. some good quality stories in there which might have made decent TOS episodes!!
starbase Britain
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Commander

[quote=captain spock;209797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasco View Post
But hopefully nobody will get the idea to do a reboot of TAS cause Star Wars "the cartoon" was eewww to me.
You talkin about the Ewoks show? Or Droids? Or the animated Clone wars, not the "new" CGI one?

I agree Droids was stupid. And Ewoks was like Care Bears living in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdom. Even the 2-D animated Clone Wars toon sucked!

I happen to like the CGI Clone Wars, awesome way to do an animated show, IMO. But I don't see them doing this with Trek, as the characters would seem to mechanical, not a problem with Star Wars though, where the major cast are droids, and Clone troopers.

Last edited by chator : 05-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Lieutenant

I cant really say anything just i have only seen a handful of the TAS.but the ones i did see some were good and some sucked big time.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Fleet Admiral

[quote=chator;210285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain spock View Post

You talkin about the Ewoks show? Or Droids? Or the animated Clone wars, not the "new" CGI one?

I agree Droids was stupid. And Ewoks was like Care Bears living in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdom. Even the 2-D animated Clone Wars toon sucked!

I happen to like the CGI Clone Wars, awesome way to do an animated show, IMO. But I don't see them doing this with Trek, as the characters would seem to mechanical, not a problem with Star Wars though, where the major cast are droids, and Clone troopers.
Yeah, the 80s animated Star Wars shows were quite goofy, but are considered canon in that universe. Wild!