The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Animated Series-Your Opinon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Commander

Default The Animated Series-Your Opinon

Do you think the episodes in the Animated Series were childish? In terms, of the stories. I am discussing this here BTW because someone forgot to create a forum for TAS.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Commander

No more childish than a lot of the 3rd season eps, really.

I would say TAS has almost as good a batting average as season 2 of TOS (1st season having in my opinion the highest TOS batting average).

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Ensign

TAS was MADE for children's TV. Considering the demographic it was aimed at, the episodes are pretty 'grown up' - still eminently watchable. They also read extremely well in Alan Dean Foster's novelisations.
As a kid, I never noticed that some of the main cast were doing most of the alien voices, but now half the fun is trying to 'pick' who's doing what :-)
Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Lieutenant

I can't remember too much of the specifics but I do recall that the show gave larger parts to Chapel and Uhura, put Uhura in charge of the bridge, and showed the first ever female security guard. It deserves some kudos for that, although I'm not sure if I can overlook the giant Spock created by the Phylosians...
Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasco View Post
TAS was MADE for children's TV. Considering the demographic it was aimed at, the episodes are pretty 'grown up' - still eminently watchable. They also read extremely well in Alan Dean Foster's novelisations.
As a kid, I never noticed that some of the main cast were doing most of the alien voices, but now half the fun is trying to 'pick' who's doing what :-)
Are u saying some of the episodes were turned into adult novels?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Ensign

While not all of TAS is perfect, there are some standouts, the tribble episode is funny and Yesteryear is one of the best from any series, the Vulcan bullies in ST XI reminded me of the episode. Wish he could've seen young Spock's pet Sehlat.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

I enjoy the Animated Series and pretty much include it in canon (if only, in my mind).
Old 05-28-2009, 04:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

I loved the animated series, and for its time, it covered some material that TPTB (the powers that be, for those who might not know what that means) at one point would've deemed too much for Saturday morning fare....scenarios such as young Spock having to choose between letting his beloved pet, I-chaya, live a life of misery after suffering a poisonous scratch, or to die peacefully.

The character interactions were also very intact....although not quite as rigorous as the live show. You didn't see Spock and McCoy get into intense arguments, although they may have quietly disagreed a couple of times.

One scene that truly embodied Star Trek was again in the "Return to Yesteryear" episode (Spock meeting his younger self on Vulcan of the past). Before that happens, the timeline is altered, and an Andorian is X.O. of the Enterprise, with no one, save for Kirk, knowing who Mr. Spock was. It is determined that Spock must go back to past Wulcan ( couldn't resist) to fix what happened in the timeline. Before Spock leaves, the Andorian X.O. says that although he comes from a very war-like race, Andorians also understand the strength of family, and that he accepts that in another timeline, Spock is the X.O. of the ship. The conversation ends with the Andorian X.O. wishing Spock the customary Vulcan farewell with the Vulcan salute: "Peace and Long Life, Spock of Vulcan." Spock returns the farewell, honored by the Andorian's noble and selfless gesture. To me, that was part of what Star Trek was about.

It might not be known to some, but when the series was voice-cast, Paramount decided that all they needed were the principals....Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, and Doohan, and they decided on sticking with Majel Barrett. Doohan (known for his ability to do many voices and dialects) and Barrett would've voiced the roles of Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura, as well as their own roles of Scotty and Nurse Chapel.

This did not settle well with Leonard Nimoy, according to George Takei (who also felt a little wounded that Paramount did not invite him, Nichelle Nichols, and Walter Koenig to reprise their roles for this project), and Nimoy told TPTB that if this project were going on without those who originally portrayed their characters, then Nimoy was going to back out. Paramount caved, and invited the remaining three main crew cast to join the project. Takei and Nichols graciously accepted and joined. Walter Koenig could not, because of other projects he was apparently involved in, but he did write an episode for The Animated Series, so at least he did have some involvement.

I personally feel that The Animated Series was a very nice stop-gap for those Trek fans who wanted more beyond the original adventures, and although Paramount and Roddenberry did not consider these adventures as canon, this felt like a worthy (if unofficial) fourth season for the original crew. I was so glad when it finally got released on DVD. (Before, they had been released in two-episode VHS packages, but they were increasingly hard to find as time went on.)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Lieutenant

I always wanted them to do an animated version of the second post-TMP 5-year mission. A lot of animated shows these days are more mature, with continuing plot elements that they never used to have back in the 70s so Federation politics could feature.

TMP had all the original characters, including the return of Rand, and a diverse, alien crew as well. I still think it would be doable if they stuck to the prime timeline but I know that a lot of fans view animation as being rather poor choice. Having said that, I rather enjoyed the recent Clone Wars series, so who knows!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
I always wanted them to do an animated version of the second post-TMP 5-year mission. A lot of animated shows these days are more mature, with continuing plot elements that they never used to have back in the 70s so Federation politics could feature.

TMP had all the original characters, including the return of Rand, and a diverse, alien crew as well. I still think it would be doable if they stuck to the prime timeline but I know that a lot of fans view animation as being rather poor choice. Having said that, I rather enjoyed the recent Clone Wars series, so who knows!
A motion picture era animated series would've been cool. I think it they did it in the animation style of Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, it would've rocked. And yes, today's cartoons can be told with a little more substance and intensity.

Most cartoons on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons that have any substance and action in them usually get a TV-Y7 rating.

The Star Wars Clone Wars cartoons get a TV-PG rating. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a Trek cartoon with that rating, so it can maintain a bit of an edge that older Trek fans can appreciate.

That said, even the original 70's animated series had a slight edge sometimes.