The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Given the fast pace of the first movie...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
You guys wanted action, you got action.

Just imagine what it's like being a character-junkie like me
Well junkies eventually need to have their addiction broken or it consumes them.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant

for the next movie, I would like to see a little bit more story... the action was nice to see, but some of it felt kinda rushed
Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Commander

Some of the best scenes in Star Trek are when the primary characters have time for dialog. Like Spock, Kirk and McCoy discussing the Genesis device in TWOK, or the bridge crew discussing the complexities of a mission on TNG, or Kirk reminding his chief officers that their job is to take risks in the conference room. This is when we get to see what they are thinking, where Spock awes us with his intelligence, where McCoy's sarcasm cuts deepest.
Loose these kinds of scenes so our Trek looks like Bourne in Space? Are you out of your Vulcan mind!?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Well junkies eventually need to have their addiction broken or it consumes them.
To late mate! If I don't get my character-fix, I eat your Vulcan mamas!

(Okay, she was his human mama but you know what I mean)

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Commander

Here is hoping that they DO slow it down....watching this movie felt like going through a seizure...you wanted to take in a scene but you coudln't because before you knew it it was gone. Slow down, get some character development in there...and maybe a nice drawn out chase scene.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Here is hoping that they DO slow it down....watching this movie felt like going through a seizure...you wanted to take in a scene but you coudln't because before you knew it it was gone. Slow down, get some character development in there...and maybe a nice drawn out chase scene.
A seizure! I love that!

I could have made three better movies out of the material in that one. It was essential about three or four movies artificially squeezed into one.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm sure we'll get more character development in the sequel without slowing down the movie, particularly between the big three. Maybe if some of it seems like too much they'll cut it from the theatrical release and then put out a director's cut on DVD for us fanboys.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTea View Post
Slower place is not a necessity of character development. Nor is dialogue. I have a feeling that audiences have been conditioned in their observations to look for the character makeup or defining attributes strictly in terms of dialogue. This is especially a shame considering the inherently visual nature of movies.

Look outside the box. Character's can be presented succinctly in ways other than what you're used to. Hint: the best character revelations are when they're pitted against some form of opposition, be it it internal or external. Their reactions are telling and decisively plotted.
I agree with this. What about movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey? Very little dialogue but it works wonderfully.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
Hold on a sec, character development, nice drawn out chase scene?

You're talking about The Dark Knight aren't you.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
I'm sure we'll get more character development in the sequel without slowing down the movie, particularly between the big three. Maybe if some of it seems like too much they'll cut it from the theatrical release and then put out a director's cut on DVD for us fanboys.
If they just made the movie longer they could include ALL the action scenes and add more dialog.

My only real complaint with the movie was they could've added an extra half hour or stuff and it wouldn't have taken anything away from the rest of the movie in any way, in my opinion.

I guess the longer movie is usually reserved for the sequel though. That seems to be conventional thinking.

Batman Begins was only 2 hours long. And The Dark Knight was over 2 and a half hours long.

The first Pirates of the Caribbean was 2 hours long and the other two were more around the 2.5 hour mark as well.