The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Given the fast pace of the first movie...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Default Given the fast pace of the first movie...

Given the fast pace of the first movie and if the second is just as fast are we ever going to see any longer scenes with more dialog and interaction between the main characters to allow for their development?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Vice Admiral

I'm sad to say that I don't think we will - maybe a little bit, but not like we were used to!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I'm sad to say that I don't think we will - maybe a little bit, but not like we were used to!
That's my thoughts exactly.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Federation Councillor

Tough call. The paciness of the film was one of it's most appealing features. In recent years so many megabudget films have been so bloated and slow that they were a chore to sit through - Pirates of the Caribbean being the worst offenders.

This film really zipped by and I wouldn't really want them to give us such a bloated, fat sequel.

It's trying to squeeze dialogue in without ruining that energy. It's not impossible though. In Terminator important dialogue and exposition is delivered while two cars are chasing each other through L.A and it works!

Agreed it's not easy to do without bringing the film to a stop.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Commander

I suspect that lot are talented enough to take the pace down a notch (if necessary) for character development and not lose momentum as a result. I think they can do it.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Commander

They slowed it down for the meld scene and the Kelvin. The meld scene was almost slowed down too much but it flows much better the second time around viewing. If they just do that sparingly at important parts, make sure it means something if you're going to slow down, then they can continue at the same fast pace, which I absolutely love, for the rest of the movie.

You can say a lot about a character or situation with very few lines if you use the right words, tone, delivery, expressions, etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Ensign

Actually, I thought there was a fair amount of character development for the main characters without a ton of drawn out talking scenes.

That said, there were still a decent amount of "talking scenes": Kirk and Pike in the Bar, Spock with his Dad on Enterprise, Spock with his Mom on Vulcan, Kirk and Spock Prime in the cave, Spock and Spock Prime, along with a couple shorter but meaningful scenes between various folks.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Vice Admiral

Sometimes scenes are cut because they work on paper but not when filmed. Such as the Star Wars extra scene of the squadron leader asking if Luke can really fly. This was after the big briefing and hes all suited up to go next to his fighter. You would think that question would have been answered before he was even given the suit, not to mention assigned the fighter. Whats Luke going to say? "Now that I think about it, no I cant fly."
Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Ensign

Slower place is not a necessity of character development. Nor is dialogue. I have a feeling that audiences have been conditioned in their observations to look for the character makeup or defining attributes strictly in terms of dialogue. This is especially a shame considering the inherently visual nature of movies.

Look outside the box. Character's can be presented succinctly in ways other than what you're used to. Hint: the best character revelations are when they're pitted against some form of opposition, be it it internal or external. Their reactions are telling and decisively plotted.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

You guys wanted action, you got action.

Just imagine what it's like being a character-junkie like me

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q