The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > The Great Pulaski debacle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

xdrfgtyfdchtd
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribbleWrangler View Post
My feelings exactly. I got tired of her dissing Data all the time. it had NONE of the old McCoy/Spock fun
Indeed. I think the attempt to replicate the old Spock/Bones dynamic with Data/Pulaski didn't work because Spock could hold his own against McCoy, whereas Data was naive and childlike. It was difficult to warm to Pulaski at first because the writers had her practically picking on a child. Once they toned down that aspect and Pulaski began to accept Data, I personally found her to be a very interesting character and think it's a shame that she was only around for one season.

I don't dislike Crusher, but I have to say I think Diana Muldaur is a better actress than Gates McFadden. Am I right in thinking that the character of Dr. Helena Russell in the episode Ethics was written as Pulaski before Muldaur became unavailable? If so, that would have been a great meeting between the two TNG doctors.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Ensign

I actually stopped watching the season after watching a couple episodes with Dr. Pulaski in it (I was 6 ... and she replaced my favorite character) and didn't return until about midway through season 3. In retrospect, I may not have liked her treatment of Data and her "crustiness" but she was more interesting than most characters and it's too bad she never did guest spots.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

I actually liked Polaski...she was a much better actor at the time than Gates.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Ensign

Pulaski brought a few things that the Crusher character didn't: A bit of (desperately needed) friction and disagreement. Of course, I felt she was wrong about Data too, but at least there was some conflict on board.
Also, she didn't necessarily subscribe to all Starfleet rules and principles, which also could've made for better drama.
Some people here stated that she didn't really fit in with the rest of the regular cast. I agree with that but I feel that would have - or at least could have- been a good thing.

What I've read about Gates McFadden is that she and the producers didn't agree on how the Crusher character was developing and then she was fired. Then nobody liked Pulaski and Patrick Stewart pushed for asking Gates McFadden to come back.

Last edited by Coot : 02-23-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: taipos
Old 02-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Ensign

I heard that Gates McFadden, didn't like the direction her character was going in. She didn't quite like all the romantic stuff. She was playing the part a senior doctor who had the power to take over the ship if needed...

I am a huge Pulaski fan, granted she didn't gell that well with the other characters, to me she was always going to be treated like an outsider but she did play a more realistic doctor then Beverley IMO

Season 2 will always be my fav TNG season
Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot View Post
Pulaski brought a few things that the Crusher character didn't: A bit of (desperately needed) friction and disagreement. Of course, I felt she was wrong about Data too, but at least there was some conflict on board.
And another thing that the Polaski / Data conflict gave us was a glimpse into a rather extreme point of view regarding Data's supposed "humanity". I agree -- we did need that conflict. Not to mention Data, having gotten that chance if you like to fight against such an extreme perspective, does come out stronger.

~ Love that part where she calls him "Da-ta" being pronounced wrong, and he corrects her. So she says, "What difference does it make." and he says "One is my name. The other is not." ~ HE SURE SHOWED HER!!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Ensign

I'm not pro Pulaski persé, but I can't help but wonder wheither or not she would've worked out as a member of the cast if given more than season 2, which IMHO was about the worst TNG had to offer.
And while I have nothing against Crusher, I always felt she was the most underrated and least used of the TNG crew. So wouldn't Pulaski have been a better choice in the end?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Midshipman

I think old Kate Pulaski was terrible and I was glad when they got rid of her. And how can you all say she was a better Doctor than Beverly? Beverly Crusher was the head of Starfleet Medical for a time. You certainly don't get promoted to that position by being mediocre.

Pulaski was just too...*****y. It always seemed like she couldn't agree with anyone about anything. Except Riker's Dad.

Season 2 was definitely not my favorite.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Ensign

I never liked Dr Pulaski she was about as likeable as getting the flu.