The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise (Refit) design PICS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Ensign

Ok, to fix my transgression USS Defiant NCC-1764. Appears in Tholian Web appears to be destoryed, but we find out IN A Mirror Darkly that she was sent to the past in the parallel universe now commanded by Emperess Hoshi.

Lost my mind on that one. In hind sight the book I qouted was written in 1975 and lists Defiant, but my mind went ape and I figured DS9, which had not even been written in 1975 so my mind went, HUH?!

Interesting note, due to the destruction of so many ships, the Constitution line was considered a failure. The refit was to correct several major design flaws and make a modular ship, meaning plug and play. The biggest problems were the energy output of the old engines, the firing arcs of the primary weapons and lack of coverage on the rear and underside, under powered primary weapons, and of course not having enough red shirts on the ship.

And I have to agree with the above poster. Based on what I have seen of JJ's image of Enterprise, TMP Enterprise would be the logical evolution. But again the ship was just made so why all of a sudden the talk of refit? If Khan does appear in the next movie it will be the introduction of his charater and not ST2 rehashed. If that is indeed the course they take my bet is on Antonio Banderas playing Khan unless Ricardo decides he is spry enough to do it again.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafan View Post
If that is indeed the course they take my bet is on Antonio Banderas playing Khan unless Ricardo decides he is spry enough to do it again.
Ricardo being "spry" enough to do it again would be an impressive trick considering that the man has been decomposing underground for a while...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Ricardo being "spry" enough to do it again would be an impressive trick considering that the man has been decomposing underground for a while...
So we can assume he will pass on it.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
He's otherwise engaged then?

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarShot View Post
In regards to my design, yes, I will make a new thread for it.

Someone referred to the 70,000 poly count. That was for a quick design study, not an actual model. The one I have right now sits at 8,000.

I'm glad you like the neck design, Saquist.
Your design would have been far better in this conecept and I would have welcomed as a competent and good looking style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
Oh I see. I didn't get the "swan neck" metaphor before, but now I get it.

It's REALLY hard to impress Saquist, FarShot. You've obviously done something amazing.

I'm jealous.
Don't be, we all have our talents, yours are developing propperly Rus.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Yes. He is currently considering the lead in Night of the Living Dead remake.

Dark humor that... so not rip on me please. *drives away*

An on-topic note, I actually started working an idea for TOS Ent. I have absolutely no reason why I did because Ent has been done to death with probably hundreds of ideas either on paper or CAD. Except that I had an hour last night and was thinking of something truly unified and organic. Ent-E was sort of getting there but still not enough. Maybe it cant be done and still look enough like the TOS ship. But certainly the neck is too skinny for example. Several of the newer ship designs onscreen had much bigger necks... if any. Also, I always thought the nacelles on the various ships were way to easy to slice off in a battle. I mean, if you can target and destroy the nacelles themself why not just cut em off?

Why should it look that way? Who knows. Just an interesting idea and I had the time to waste. Except... military aircraft designs are moving that direction in a big way so why not in the future?

Then again... people have probably done this as well. Few ideas anymore about this ship and I keep hearing "Simpsons did it!" everytime Professor Chaos comes up with an evil plan.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Ensign

Talking

This came off wikipedia but the footnotes attached are linked to the origins.

Star Trek was the first film ILM worked on using entirely digital ships.[111] The Enterprise was intended by Abrams to be a merging of its design in the show and the refitted version from the original film. Abrams had fond memories of the reveal of the Enterprise's refit in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, because it was the first time the ship felt tangible and real to him.[112] The iridescent pattern on the ship from The Motion Picture was maintained to give the ship depth, while model maker Roger Goodson also applied the "Aztec" pattern from The Next Generation. Goodson recalled Abrams also wanted to bring a "hot rod" aesthetic to the ship. Effects supervisor Roger Guyett wanted the ship to have more moving parts, which stemmed from his childhood dissatisfaction with the ship's design: The new Enterprise's dish can expand and move, while the fins on its engines split slightly when they begin warping.[113] The Enterprise is 3,000 feet (910 m) long, while the Romulan Narada is several miles long and several miles wide.[84][114] The filmmakers had to simulate lens flares on the ships in keeping with the film's cinematography.[111]

Add more moving parts to the refit design and maybe they will consider it!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Vice Admiral

Did any of the Star Wars prequels use models?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise NCC-1701-A View Post
it is sir. but the movie version isn't going to last forever.
Ma'am*.
I don't see why they would need to change it. It's fine the way it is!
The refit/concept ship reminds me of a duck for some really odd reason. (Don't ask...)
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Lieutenant

Duck?. i won't ask lol.

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.