The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I'm tired of the Canon/Continuity debate. It's a dead issue, why even bother?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Commander

Default I'm tired of the Canon/Continuity debate. It's a dead issue, why even bother?

The old shows are made. They're on VHS/DVD/Blue Ray for all to see. There were (so called) canon/continuity mistakes made in all of them. Some of the mistakes were covered up by clever script writers by thinking up believable excuses for them, and some were glossed over and downright ignored, but it was all good entertainment, and all of us who love Star Trek watched it anyway or the idea of Star Trek wouldn't have been fresh enough in our collective minds to make it worth re-booting. But you know what? It was! Now we have a great new film made, featuring our favorite original characters, blazing hot special effects and cool new ship designs, along with the old flair and substance ready made for us to enjoy. Yes, changes have been made because writers (God bless em'!) don't work well when they're pigeonholed into researching forty years worth of details so they don't make one tiny mistake that might start a fan revolt. This isn't 1966, or 1977 or 1988. The franchise is going on, it's blazing a new trail and opening up new avenues of possibility and new oppourtunities for silver screen adventure, merriment and mayhem that we can enjoy as much as we ever did. The pandora's box of holding tightly to known continuity has been opened, we can't go back from here. All we can hope for is that the core meaning of Star Trek has not been compromised and that it's credo remains true. So enjoy old Trek, enjoy new Trek, and don't get hung up on minute details that never were etched in stone to begin with. The question has been answered in multiple millions of box office dollars. The great debate is over. Let's drop the arguments, the tirades and gripefests and enjoy ourselves. It's too late to worry now, the milk is spilt.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Vice Admiral

A short answer to a long post: New explanations invalidate old ones simply because the older ones were wrong. They are not continuity errors. They are continuity corrections.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Ensign

yeah I agree, it's not worth worrying about, it's explained in the new film this is a parrallel universe, if you don't like it it doesn't matter, you've still got the original 'prime' universe. As for me I'm as excited as Scottie about the new Enterprise and I hope the sequels are as good as XI.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Ensign

Hopefully one of the continuity corrections will be that in the alternate reality people don't use walls of text.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Commander

Does anybody remember The Best of Trek series? I just tried googling "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek," but none of my results actually produced the article in question.

It's an old, and quite well-written, critique breaking down all the reasons why STII (you know, our favorite Trek movie) isn't Star Trek.

We go through this every time the series gets reinvented, and it's all just an obligatory song and dance. STIV isn't Star Trek. TNG isn't Star Trek. DS9 isn't Star Trek. VOY gets a free pass -at least in its first season- because part of "dissing" one thing is to openly embrace whatever comes after (Alien Resurrection, anyone?). ENT isn't Star Trek (not that I care, as both it and VOY are essentially TNG-Lite). And now, surprise, the new Star Trek isn't Star Trek.

Nothing to do but shrug, back away and let it play out. Mark my words, when the next movie comes out, most people who had this heated discussion (again) won't remember.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Does anybody remember The Best of Trek series? I just tried googling "Indiana Skywalker Meets the Son of Star Trek," but none of my results actually produced the article in question.
You are looking for Best of Trek #7; which contains that article by Kyle Holland.

In fact, I have quoted some Best of Trek stuff on here previously.
Some even more esoteric sources as well.

Strangely, Best of Trek articles are not archived on the web (to my knowledge) and even brief excerpts are beyond rare.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Commander

True; I agree it's a dead issue.
However I believe it's going to be one of those things you've seen the last of, then suddenly, without warning it'll be back; either via a new poster who just saw the film and feels the need to post their rant detailing the film's violations, or some other means.
It's like a silent sniper in the night; and it's very good at headshots, giving everyone a headache over the subject as a result.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Rear Admiral

The thing that also makes it pointless is that the new movie has no bearing whatsoever on the previous continuity. CBS--which owns all the Trek TV shows--is under no obligation to follow the continuity established in Star Trek XI.

CBS is still running TOS-remastered in syndication in many markets and is planning to follow it with reruns of TNG later this year, IIRC. As far as CBS is concerned, the Prime Universe is quite alive and well.

We're in the era of two Star Trek Universes now (movie and television), each with their own continuities that went their separate ways in Star Trek XI...
Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 AM
Ensign

Does CBS have the option to make a show to follow the new continuity, I wonder?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
True; I agree it's a dead issue.
However I believe it's going to be one of those things you've seen the last of, then suddenly, without warning it'll be back; either via a new poster who just saw the film and feels the need to post their rant detailing the film's violations, or some other means.
It's like a silent sniper in the night; and it's very good at headshots, giving everyone a headache over the subject as a result.
JJ Abram's Trek will be the Silent Step that defeated continuity with a single shot.