The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Klingons: Ridges or no Ridges?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Captain

I believe you could classify the OST fanbase as a "hardcore fanatical group".

I do notice that everyone who keeps putting the Klingon "steriod" ridge explanation as Enterprise's fault shouls remember that this was initially brought up in "canon" on DS9 in "Trials & Tribulations" when Worf said "it is a long story".

I think ENT did a great job of completing that story. I was always hoping that it would get explained at some point. So if the ENT bashers want to use that, then maybe you should direct your hostility towards DS9....they started it (nah nah nah nah nah nah).
Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Federation Councillor

Ok, I think we can all agree that smooth and ridged Klingons are both "cannon." I still cannot see why there can't be both. Maybe a Klingon Commander with ridges and some bridge crew with smooth heads.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
I believe you could classify the OST fanbase as a "hardcore fanatical group".

I do notice that everyone who keeps putting the Klingon "steriod" ridge explanation as Enterprise's fault shouls remember that this was initially brought up in "canon" on DS9 in "Trials & Tribulations" when Worf said "it is a long story".

I think ENT did a great job of completing that story. I was always hoping that it would get explained at some point. So if the ENT bashers want to use that, then maybe you should direct your hostility towards DS9....they started it (nah nah nah nah nah nah).
As a fan on ENT, I will say not in defense of its story, but rather objectively that if the issue was never brought up in DS9 (even if it was meant to be solely for purposes of comic relief), most Trek fans would have simply disregarded ridgeless Klingons of the TOS era as a byproduct of a low production budget and not needed any further explanation. Since DS9 brought it up and ENT later became a series, the issue needed to be resolved, whether you like ENT or not (since it is a canonical Trek TV series). I, like many others, agree that the story and explanation on the "Affliction"/"Divergence" arc was fantastic and explained the continuity gaps as best could be done onscreen.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Ok, I think we can all agree that smooth and ridged Klingons are both "cannon." I still cannot see why there can't be both. Maybe a Klingon Commander with ridges and some bridge crew with smooth heads.
I agree that this could work, I think the only problem people would have with it is why we never saw ridged Klingons in TOS. I blame it on freak coincidence due to the scarcity of ridged Klingons during this time. I think having both in the movie (with the main Klingon characters, or commander as you mentioned having ridges) would appease both the majority of the Trekkies and intrigue the casual viewer with a Klingon they could identify with.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Federation Councillor

I think the ENT explaination was good in a SF/Trek way. But I find it hard to belive that ridged Klingon DNA is so strong to overcome mixing with other races the Klingons have conquered over the centuries.

Even without ENT's explaination, smooth headed Klingons still could be very reasonable.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Federation Councillor

To add on, maybe the Klingons sent out the smooth heads, so "real/pureblooded" warriors could be saved for battles with worthy opponents int the TOS era??

Think it could work....
Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
I think the ENT explaination was good in a SF/Trek way. But I find it hard to belive that ridged Klingon DNA is so strong to overcome mixing with other races the Klingons have conquered over the centuries.

Even without ENT's explaination, smooth headed Klingons still could be very reasonable.
We haven't seen much of this mixing on screen, though. Maybe the Klingons enjoy slaughtering their weak oppenents rather than sexually exploiting them.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
To add on, maybe the Klingons sent out the smooth heads, so "real/pureblooded" warriors could be saved for battles with worthy opponents int the TOS era??

Think it could work....
haha, I would have to call Kirk a worthy opponent and I think the Klingon Empire would have learned that after their first encounter with him.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Federation Councillor

But keep in mind at this point Kirk is just a run of the mill officer with no dealings with the Klingons.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
But keep in mind at this point Kirk is just a run of the mill officer with no dealings with the Klingons.
He wasn't in TOS yet if your hypothetical were true, they only sent "smoothies" after him. :P