The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Anthropogenic Global Warming Debate
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Crisis, chaos "A-a-a-a-a-h-h! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" Funny, that's all I hear from you global warming guys.
Horatio gave you a summary of a report by a leading global economist who is known for being conservative. I gave the charming peanut with a tommy gun an illustration of what happens to vulnerable people with a 2-3 degree global average rise in temperature. These are evidenced based arguments with sensible chains of cause and effect. From you I get conspiricy theories and hysterical insults. You don't engage with facts, processes or evidence, just stories. That's not thinking, it's just noise.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
Whoa now, come on this is a debate on Climate Change. I understand that the way things are going might lead us somewhere different, but i wanted this thread to be a debate on Climate change and its scientifical purpose, not Political one. This is what im trying to avoid, because if we get into politics, then things will start to fall apart rapidly. Lets leave politics out on this thread please, thanks.
sadly enough global warming is so tied into politics right now that any discussion about it will ultimately bring up political viewpoints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
If a government sells fear under the guise of crisis and chaos, people will surrender their ability to govern themselves.

Read Orwell's 1984. BIG BROTHER is already here. The governments around the world have sold out heart and soul to the Man-made global warming idea, because it gives them more control over the lives of the people. And some of you sheep are happy to flock to the slaughterhouse.

As a wolf, I chose to govern myself and watch for my own concerns.

I am not saying that if we can do something to benefit our planet that we shouldn't. I'm saying that we need to be thoughtful and logical in our approach to a solution.

We shouldn't go off half-cocked. It might not be the calamity that you've been told it is. These same scientists who are now saying the earth is heating up, back in the 70's were telling us we should be prepared for an ice age. (In case you missed the 70's, it didn't happen).
Hello people we've been told the world is going to end due to an ice age, then it was going to become a fireball now its going to be both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio
For all you who believe that the Earth is flat, that we don't descend from apes, that George Soros caused the financial crisis or that there is no climate change.
do not confuse this discusion with the failed and frankly unallowed discusion on macro-evilution, do not link this view with that of flat earthers. as for the financial crisis it is to closely linked with politics and therefore should not be discussed in this thread.
1) the earth can be scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is infact an inperfect sphere.
2) Macro-Evilution is a theory. Drop it its dead and not allowed do not bring it up again.
3) Why the **** would i want to believe i descend from a glorified ape??? I suppose i could think that about some of the politicians and some of you, i mean you guys certainly take to throwing poop at each other well enough.

I loathe sounding like a conspiracy theorist but all of this is a little to conviently pointing towards more government control of private citizens. perhaps if we could figure out a way to run everything off of garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik Kang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
There is a genuine consensus among scientists that climate change is real and that humans are to blame. This has come about through years of painfully thorough gathering of evidence. If you think that every scientist who has worked on this problem is a leftist propagandist then you are an idiot.
No, go ask those real scientists yourself. I was involved in the "global warming" discussion in the early 1990s, long before it became a fashionable subject. It had always been a subject in the same categories with UFOs, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster. Until a UN report a couple years ago that everyone now points too as a "scientific concesus". We are talking about the same UN that every year convenes a "human rights" panel than invariably spends its entire time talking about how evil the US and Israel are... and how we are the worst human rights abusers in the world. The UN has no credibility. Zero. And this is the source of your global warming "science".
not only the UN but John Kerry who might i remind you despite his endorsement of those curly string lightbulbs and other energy saving measures continues to operate his houses with lights on all night long while not even there to use them as well as leaving the AC and Heating controls within those houses on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik Kang View Post
"Global warming" remains in the same domain as UFOs and Bigfoot, just ask any serious scientist and they'll tell you the same thing. UN panels are not the arbitors of science. In fact, most serious scientists in the field have been very annoyed for quite some time now that they are being ignored in favor of a UN panel for political reasons. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE AT ALL, AND THERE NEVER HAS BEEN, THAT GLOBAL WARMING EXISTS LET ALONE IS BEING CAUSED BY HUMANS. The world is taking the pronouncment of a biased UN panel as the final word of science, and believe me it is not hard to find pissed off scientists in the field.

What the real actual scientists will tell you is that A) Only the sun can have a significant impact on global tempurature. B) We are most likely heading into a period of the cycle that has been known about for over 100 years where tempuratures cool, not warm. And C) There is no evidence at all for any human impact on global tempuratures.

"Global warming" is political propoganda. Don't take my word for it, find a serious scientist in the field and ask them. Once their anger subsides, they will explain too you that "global warming" is no different that UFOs, Bigfoot, or the Loch Ness Monster. It falls within that same category of "science".

good god i'm rambling... i think i'm done here.

Last edited by sraviik : 05-28-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post

I loathe sounding like a conspiracy theorist but all of this is a little to conviently pointing towards more government control of private citizens. perhaps if we could figure out a way to run everything off of garbage.
Actually you can run lots of stuff off garbage! You can get either bio-fuel for cars and such or methane gas for electricity from decomposing biological waist. It's also possible to recycle most of what we throw away, reducing the cost and energy required to make new stuff.

As for anthropogenic climate change I will say this. Say that you have a glass of a yellow fruit drink, and you have a glass of blue fruit drink. If you add the blue to the yellow do you not change the color to green?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Lieutenant

true the color may be green however green koolaid isn't making any plans to destroy the earth by using extreme weather... yet.

Yeah i think i remember watching a video on a power plant that used combustable waste as additional fuel to power its generator. there was even an article about a robot that was able to derive energy from food waste a while back.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
true the color may be green however green koolaid isn't making any plans to destroy the earth by using extreme weather... yet.

Yeah i think i remember watching a video on a power plant that used combustable waste as additional fuel to power its generator. there was even an article about a robot that was able to derive energy from food waste a while back.
Being an environmental scientist I have to nit pick you on this one... the Earth will not be destroyed by a climate shift, rather the environment will become less favorable for humans and many of the animals that currently inhabit this world.

...and I would watch out for that green stuff... it's known to pack a wallop!!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Lieutenant

really and i thought i was troubled by the purple stuff. ok i will admit you got me there no plans to destroy only to make it uninhabitable, and is that blue stuff romulan ale?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
really and i thought i was troubled by the purple stuff. ok i will admit you got me there no plans to destroy only to make it uninhabitable, and is that blue stuff romulan ale?
It could be Romulan ale... but then again that stuff is illegal.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
It could be Romulan ale... but then again that stuff is illegal.
I thought they legalized it by the end of the Dominion war?

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
I thought they legalized it by the end of the Dominion war?
Really? Hmmm.... I was always a TOS fan and never really got into DS9.