The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why the Star Trek Release was moved!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Midshipman

Post Why the Star Trek Release was moved!!!

This guy has a great opinion on why the date of the movie was changed. I do not know if it wishful thinking or not but still very interesting.

check it out here:

http://fusedfilmblog.com/2008/02/21/...-i-wonder-why/
Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Federation Councillor

I think Paramount just decided it would do more summer buisness.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Ensign

I had read that the film will still be completed this Fall, as originaly planned, and no changes were really necessary. I had the same thoughts as this guy's blog, as it would make sense and it can't be a coincidance that this occured as the writer's strike ended. The way things are under such tight secret, I wouldn't doubt that there would be lying going on to cover up certain things (especially if Shatner was going to be in this film, though I still doubt that will happen).
Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Midshipman

Frankly I have trouble taking anything this guy says seriously when he has trouble using proper grammar and punctuation...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

I have a couple disagreements with this author's premise, which seems more of a wish list than actual fact (which is ok, too):

1) Production appears to be originally scheduled to continue through March, maybe into April, so 'script polishing' still has plenty of time to occur within that deadline -- as long as new scenes don't require all-new set construction and massive reshooting. Likely 'script polishing' would not require that anyway. Same thing for 'writing in' Shatner as Kirk somehow -- it would be a cameo at best, and again can easily be squeezed into the current production schedule with a quick new scene by the writing team, IF it happened at all.

2) So many fans assume that this delay gives Abrams 'five extra months' to work on the film, which simply is not a direct cause-and-effect outcome. Also Paramount's own rep stated, when the new date was announced, that the filming was 2/3 done and they could deliver the film by December if they still wanted to. Nothing in that indicates extending production longer than originally scheduled (to end this spring). Also nothing indicated post-production will take "too long" which supposedly forced a date change -- technically, post-production hasn't even begun yet because they're still shooting main unit. If post hasn't started, how can it be so far behind to force a date change? Makes no sense.

Without actual evidence (not hunches or preferences) to the contrary, Paramount moved it as a business decision with no influence from actual production, or Shatner shoehorning, etc. It's a May '09 release of a film to be completed by fall of '08, plain and simple.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I think they want to promote Trek as a summer blockbuster, rather than just a winter release. That way more people will talk about the movie and more people will see it. There was one thread on the forum that said that May 8 was the day the United Federation of Planets was founded, which would be a good reason (canon wise) to release the movie then if indeed that was the exact date.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I will say...maybe.
It's possible and they will keep it secret as long as they can, but I DO know that Abrams wanted re-writes during the strike, re-shoots are more than a probability.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Ensign

Thoses who know me know that I know Shatner will be in the next movie!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure he'll try to get in somehow. J.J. Abrams is so secretive, don't be surprised if Shatner does make a cameo appearance in this film. Of course he already said he won't be in it, but think of the reaction if he really was.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Apparently more of us will have to get to know you then, so we can all know about Shatner. Any info you care to share will be welcome!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!