The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I know I'm not too popular around here but...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default I know I'm not too popular around here but...

If it helps you guys/gals understand me a little better. I got into Star Trek in the 90s, TNG was just about to air in the UK, at the time it was really unpopular to be into Sci-Fi, and if you were a Trekkie you were really stuffed!

I was bullied pretty much constantly for five years at secondary/high school, both before I was a Trek Fan & after. Star Trek, both TNG & Original got me through that, being a Trek Fan was kind of like my rebellion against the bullies. It was like "no this is mine, I like it & you *** aren't gonna take it from me".

So really, if the new Star Trek movie. Has done for someone out there, what both TNG & the orginal (even DS9 to a degree), or sparked imaginations or re-kindled something in anyone? Then it is a fantastic movie and what I say about it really doesn't matter.

Perhaps some of us old fans (I'm only 30, it's not that old) should remember what McCoy said to Data in "Encounter at Farpoint", and apply that to Star Trek.

"She's a new ship, but she's got the right name...." Come on folks, you remember the rest.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 05-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It's rekindled my interest again, I was almost turned to the dark side, but now I'd rather say "beam me up Scottie" than "...but your not a Jedi yet"

I'm reading Alan Dean Fosters book now, I've always liked his stories, read all his Star Trek the cartoon episode books.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post

"She's a new ship, but she's got the right name...." Come on folks, you remember the rest.
For those that may not have enjoyed the movie, those are good watchwords.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
If it helps you guys/gals understand me a little better. I got into Star Trek in the 90s, TNG was just about to air in the UK, at the time it was really unpopular to be into Sci-Fi, and if you were a Trekkie you were really stuffed!

I was bullied pretty much constantly for five years at secondary/high school, both before I was a Trek Fan & after. Star Trek, both TNG & Original got me through that, being a Trek Fan was kind of like my rebellion against the bullies. It was like "no this is mine, I like it & you *** aren't gonna take it from me".

So really, if the new Star Trek movie. Has done for someone out there, what both TNG & the orginal (even DS9 to a degree), or sparked imaginations or re-kindled something in anyone? Then it is a fantastic movie and what I say about it really doesn't matter.

Perhaps some of us old fans (I'm only 30, it's not that old) should remember what McCoy said to Data in "Encounter at Farpoint", and apply that to Star Trek.

I remember watching TNG after my mother's funeral, just trying to get my mind off of everything that had just happened. My dad passed about about 10 years before mom so not only had I become an orphan but I had to sell the house I grew up in. That opened a lot of wounds between my siblings and myself. One brother couldn't let go of the house at all. Data and Captain Picard did more to get me through those tough times than all the prozac in the world could have.

Life can be crap sometimes and what we're looking for in TV and movies is unconditional love and emotional connection without risk. There is a real healing in this. A sharing of human expereince.

I have no idea why you think you're unpopular on this forum but if worse comes to worse, just register under a new name and start again. That's the beauty of life. It is full of 2nd chances.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Life can be crap sometimes and what we're looking for in TV and movies is unconditional love and emotional connection without risk. There is a real healing in this. A sharing of human expereince.
There's a lot of truth in what you just said. I remember once a few years back I was going through a really, really tough time and somehow the only thing that could provide me some kind of comfort, take my mind somewhere else, and prevent me from spiraling down even further was to watch some old TNG episodes. Some people find that kind of comfort in food but for me it was TNG. I always thought it was strange but that's what was working for me at the time. It wasn't the ultimate solution but it definitely helped getting me through.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
There's a lot of truth in what you just said. I remember once a few years back I was going through a really, really tough time and somehow the only thing that could provide me some kind of comfort, take my mind somewhere else, and prevent me from spiraling down even further was to watch some old TNG episodes. Some people find that kind of comfort in food but for me it was TNG. I always thought it was strange but that's what was working for me at the time. It wasn't the ultimate solution but it definitely helped getting me through.
Same here. It's like we tap into that Trek optimism and it helps us realize that the future is bright after all!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Commander

You know what this thread says to me? It says Star Trek fans are stronger for all our diversity. I don't know, maybe I'm nuts, but that's what I got out of it.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm nuts...
Ummm.....have you seen your avatar lately? (runs...hides)

Old 05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

That is the beauty of Star Trek, Sci Fi, or good TV in general. It is escapism. And we all enjoy escapisim, whether it is watching the NY Giants (that's me) or American Idol. It's an hour of your time where you can put the pressures of your life aside and get lost.

When it comes to Star Trek, we are all fans or we wouldn't be coming to this site. We all take different things from it and enjoy it, and nitpick at it, in our own ways.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Ummm.....have you seen your avatar lately? (runs...hides)
Clever.