The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should Spock Prime share future knowledge?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

anytime

All i ask is a tall ship, stars to sail her by.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Ah. So people are people and humanity will be no better or worse than it is today. Same drives and desires.
IMO yes - in trying to say humanity would outgrow that is the singular greatest mistake Roddenberry suggested. Humans haven't changed that much in thousands of years, they won't 300 in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
See, I don't take myself out and look at these things as an all knowing and seeing being, like a Q or some god. I put myself in the position of a Federation citizen or a member of Starfleet. Being all powerfull like a Q is VERY different than having advanced Tech, not only that, but your example shows corruption of an individual. With the Federation having over 100 member planets and many, many brilliant minds, it would be much more difficult, maybe even nearly impossible, to corrupt everyone to the point where the Federation would do a 180 degree turn around and start conquering. I just don't buy that argument. If you lived on a federation world and you knew the Klingons or Romulans were nearby, wouldn't you want the advanced? It's that simple for me.
Maybe it would be, maybe it wouldn't. Depends how it's presented to them.

The point was that Riker being doing what he thought was in the best interests of the ship and crew, except he never asked them first, he just did it because he thought he knew better what would work for them.

By extension, the Federation with a century's worth of advancement can go around and do what it thinks is in the best interests of a situation, and doesn't have to listen to others, and that could have dangers. It's not an overnight process, I didn't suggest it would be. But gradually it could happen.

In terms of the Federation worlds - For me, the greater issue would be the long term balance of the quadrant. So, the Federation would just have to situate colonists elsewhere or talk to the other powers and negotiate a treaty or peace instead of threatening them with greater firepower if they came too close.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Vice Admiral

ST6. The Klingons were on the ropes. Some of the decision makes wanted to help. Others wanted to conquer (more or less). We all know what the losing side tried to do next.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Federation Councillor

'We're gonna kill everybody'

Yeah, imagine if those folks had their hands on 129 years future tech.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
Right now I think Spock Prime should tell young Spock not to do anymore photo shoots with milk.
No, we need more milk photoshoots!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Anything ZQ does is OK with me. He seems like a very nice guy.

Last edited by cjopbj : 05-29-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
I disagree. While he might keep quiet about political events, I don't see him keeping quiet about the supernova that destroyed Romulus. He felt guilty for missing it at the time; he won't want to make the same mistake. And since he is unlikely to live long enough to prevent it (assuming the red matter can't be poured in a hundred years in advance), he'll have to tell someone about it.
Exactly....don't bother with the little things because they might not even be the same, but something like that should be warned of as a possibility to make sure precautions are taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
See even doing something as seemingly harmless as say warning Star Fleet about the planet killer from "The Doomsday Machine" thus saving the crew of the Constellation from there original destiny (death) could have dire consequences. For example a member of the now alive crew could become a federation diplomat. Unfortunately during peace talks with the Klingons they accidentally offend the Klingon high chancellor's maternal ancestor... leading to interstellar war. In short you cannot predict what changes might occur as a result of reveling future events to people.
There's no reason to believe that the Constellation would be in danger....that's after the divergence. I'd say Spock should let it be known that some ancient race left its planet killing machine wandering about the galaxy and let them know the way to destroy it.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
In terms of the Federation worlds - For me, the greater issue would be the long term balance of the quadrant. So, the Federation would just have to situate colonists elsewhere or talk to the other powers and negotiate a treaty or peace instead of threatening them with greater firepower if they came too close.
I agree with this. It is sort of what I was trying to say. Even with some hawk loose cannons out there wanting to slap around other powers nearby, I think the Federation council would not just start doing that. Sure, they may be more willing to do things thought to be risky before, since now the risk would would be lowered with advanced tech on their side.

I think the federation already does a good job of extending an olive branch and of talking to those they have conflicts with. I am a firm believer that the advanced tech would lead to a safer and more secure quadrant for all, since the federation could. easily defend itself.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I agree with this. It is sort of what I was trying to say. Even with some hawk loose cannons out there wanting to slap around other powers nearby, I think the Federation council would not just start doing that. Sure, they may be more willing to do things thought to be risky before, since now the risk would would be lowered with advanced tech on their side.

I think the federation already does a good job of extending an olive branch and of talking to those they have conflicts with. I am a firm believer that the advanced tech would lead to a safer and more secure quadrant for all, since the federation could. easily defend itself.
In a wider sense, fair enough.

But we know the Federation has a darker underbelly - my concern is, and always will be, giving those people access to technology that could be very dangerous in their hands.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
what about one with Rachel Nichols? in the makeup?