The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should Spock Prime share future knowledge?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There's another point that has been overlooked. If you believe that things happen for a reason, destiny I guess, then Spock Prime can't tell anyone what he knows because he'll change things in ways that weren't meant to be. Like the people on the plane in Final Destination were supposed to die but that kids wig out led some to disembark. They still died but not at that moment. Nature has a way of correcting itself and it did in that movie. I saw it, it was real.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Vice Admiral

Well true. But in this it would be which would weigh more. The guilt of knowing he could do something or knowing that his actions caused 6 billion of his people to die horribly. Its all hindsight and how someone would be (logical or not) after the fact and its all done. Would he try again? Or would he risk another potential Nero and another 6 billion dead on another Vulcan to perish? So it wouldnt be just the 6 billion already dead. It would be another 6.

It all gets complicated and then things like doubt get into play. In the end... who knows what would happen?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Ensign

Since I tend to subscribe to the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics (here or in the ST Universe), I'd say yeah, he should tell everything he knows, while at the same time making abundant references to the Butterfly Effect...who knows might have changed?

And given the number of members of the admiralty to whom he'd have to deliver said debriefing, there's no way he's getting out of writing a report. With footnotes.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think Spock would rather risk being blamed again, by crazy people like Nero, rather than live with guilt knowing he could have saved lives but did nothing. I know he is half Vulcan and all, but I believe his emotions are more a part of him than any other Vulcan. Can you imagine knowing something tragic is likely to happen and knowing how to stop it, then just sitting back and drinking a few beers while it happens and people die!? I know nothing is a certainty from one universe to another, but natural events like supernovas are probably some of the events with way better odds of repeating themselves.
This was actually my whole point. You explained it better than I did, I think.

He does appear to feel guilt over it in the scene where he meets alternate universe Kirk. While I feel (as you do) that Nero way overreacted, this has nothing to do with the personal guilt someone (in this case Spock) would feel over not getting there in time.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Ensign

Chaos Theory. This new universe is unpredictable. His future knowledge is of another timeline and it's value is minimized by unpredictability.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Which is even more reason for him to stay quiet on everything and wait and see if circumstances ever arise where he could influence the outcome with knowledge he has.

Either way - he should stay zipped.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodesic17 View Post
Chaos Theory. This new universe is unpredictable. His future knowledge is of another timeline and it's value is minimized by unpredictability.
Only when you are referring to actual events. What about technology? Can you imagine the advantage the Federation would have with 120 years worth of advances in a matter of a few years? No matter what events actually occur in this universe when compared to the Prime universe, those advances, in my opinion, would serve as a means for better security and would probably act as a deterrence from war. (The Federation would most likely have the biggest stick around)

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-25-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
There's another point that has been overlooked. If you believe that things happen for a reason, destiny I guess, then Spock Prime can't tell anyone what he knows because he'll change things in ways that weren't meant to be. Like the people on the plane in Final Destination were supposed to die but that kids wig out led some to disembark. They still died but not at that moment. Nature has a way of correcting itself and it did in that movie. I saw it, it was real.
Destiny is irrelevant. Spock Prime is now part of this JJverse, so he is PART of it's destiny. What ever Spock changes WAS meant to be or he wouldn't be there to say it or change it!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Only when you are referring to actual events. What about technology? Can you imagine the advantage the Federation would have with 120 years worth of advances in a matter of a few years? No matter what events actually occur in this universe when compared to the Prime universe, those advances, in my opinion, would serve as a means for better security and would probably act as a deterrence from war. (The Federation would most likely have the biggest stick around)
Technology could be even more dangerous to give them too soon. I don't think the Klingons and Romulans would sit back and allow the Federation to expand in unlimited ways, due to a sudden burst in technoloigical development.

It would also spur their own technological development in response to the threat from the more powerful Federation. Espionage would increase, tensions would increase, flare ups would become more commonplace between the powers because Spock had thrown any power balance that previously existed out of whack.

It could even bring the Klingons and Romulans closer as allies, to fend off the Federation.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Destiny is irrelevant. Spock Prime is now part of this JJverse, so he is PART of it's destiny. What ever Spock changes WAS meant to be or he wouldn't be there to say it or change it!
He's only here because him and all those involved screwed around with something they had no business with. If time travel were simple and risk free everyone would do it. He has no place sharing future tech and the consequences are too unpridictable in my opinion and there's no guarantee what benefit or negative impact it would have.

Say he introduces now a cure to a virus, knowing full well that the cure is actually supposed to be discovered 35 years from now by some guy who's parents have it. If the parents get the cure now say before they have that child who is supposed to discover it, then maybe they get cured and decide not to have any children.