The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Should Spock Prime share future knowledge?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
I disagree. While he might keep quiet about political events, I don't see him keeping quiet about the supernova that destroyed Romulus. He felt guilty for missing it at the time; he won't want to make the same mistake. And since he is unlikely to live long enough to prevent it (assuming the red matter can't be poured in a hundred years in advance), he'll have to tell someone about it.
Disagree. There's nothing that says Romulus will be eventually destroyed in this timeline. It doesn't have to happen if the writers wish it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Federation Councillor

There's 129 years to prepare for Hobus. It's not going to be a problem second time around.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I don't think it really matters what information he shares in the new time line. It's obviously a completely different one from the time line he came from, and besides...who other than Kirk and Spock is going to believe him anyways.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
I don't think it really matters what information he shares in the new time line. It's obviously a completely different one from the time line he came from, and besides...who other than Kirk and Spock is going to believe him anyways.
Scottie believed him.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Scottie believed him.
Scotty worked it out really quickly and had no trouble with the concept.
That wasn't his problem.
Dude was starved.
All he really wanted was some friggin real food.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well you guys know Scotty, he had probably just downed the last few cases of that outposts "urm, it's green" supply.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q

Last edited by celticarchie : 05-24-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Disagree. There's nothing that says Romulus will be eventually destroyed in this timeline. It doesn't have to happen if the writers wish it.
Well, it depends if you are taking the stance that the supernova is caused by intelligent species or not. If it is, then of course, you are right.

If it is, instead, a natural phenomenon, then it would occur regardless (assuming the timeline divergence was caused only by Nero & Spock's appearance). And again, if you are taking the stance here that Romulus might save itself in this reality, or that some other force (i.e. other than Spock) might save it, then you are also correct.

However, my contention is that Spock will not "assume" the saving of Romulus to be a foregone conclusion; therefore he will act to prevent it nonetheless (i.e. he will make sure the likelihood of its destruction is known to others whether or not the destruction will end up taking place).
Old 05-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Vice Admiral

I did not read the entire thread quite yet, but I would like to throw in some of my thoughts.

First, I believe time travel as we have seen it, "butterfly effect" and all, still exists. I believe there is still a need for the temporal prime directive and for agents like Daniels. Why? Well, the way I see it there are an infinite number of quantum realities. Now I'm not a scientist, but they are pretty much what we all call parallel universes or timelines. Drawing from Trek, I remember that each universe has it's own quantum signature of some sort. Remember Worf jumping from one universe to another?

So I think changes in the timeline within a given quantum universe do effect future events, like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and so forth. In this movie we see the Narada and the Jellyfish not only travel through time but also into another quantum universe. In this universe some things will occur as they did in the Prime universe, other things will not happen at all, and yet another set of events will occur that did NOT happen in the Prime universe.

With that said, I believe it would be unethical of Spock to NOT give THIS alternate Federation every last bit of information in his head. He no longer has to worry about changing the Prime universe timeline by doing so. Spock can help the Federation in ways that nobody else can. Everything from technological advances to future first contacts gone bad, he can fill in everything and therefore prevent much death. Of course we will NOT see any of this happen. The Federation would become too powerful and future adversaries (in movies) would not be very problematic if every starship was equipped advanced transporters, regenerative shields, and quantum torpedoes. Not to mention the fleet would be the fastest around (except for those few species out there that use slipstream or transwarp tech!)

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 05-24-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Besides, if he does nothing will anyone know that he could? If not, it would mean there is no reason he can be blamed for anything. Considering that blame caused the destruction of his planet its a pretty strong motive to not get involved in anything at all ever.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Besides, if he does nothing will anyone know that he could? If not, it would mean there is no reason he can be blamed for anything. Considering that blame caused the destruction of his planet its a pretty strong motive to not get involved in anything at all ever.
Oh boy. I was hoping to avoid the "blame" thing. I think it was a pretty weak plot to say, "hey, you didn't stop that star from going supernova, which it would have done without you, but you failed to stop it so I must kill everything you love!!" That was a weak motivation in my opinion. But I am not trying to debate the silly aspects to this movies story.

I think Spock would rather risk being blamed again, by crazy people like Nero, rather than live with guilt knowing he could have saved lives but did nothing. I know he is half Vulcan and all, but I believe his emotions are more a part of him than any other Vulcan. Can you imagine knowing something tragic is likely to happen and knowing how to stop it, then just sitting back and drinking a few beers while it happens and people die!? I know nothing is a certainty from one universe to another, but natural events like supernovas are probably some of the events with way better odds of repeating themselves.