The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Improvements for the NEXT movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Lightbulb Improvements for the NEXT movie

So to start… I thought that this was a good Trek movie, not the best but not the worst. If I had to order them from best to worst I would put it at 5th behind II, IV, VI, and First contact.

My suggestions for the next movie are as follows:

More character development:
Look JJ I understand you had a lot to cram in… but Star Trek has always had lots of character development, don’t assume that this new old crew doesn’t need character development… because they do. If I was the head of Star Fleet I would NOT want the James T. Kirk that we saw at the end of the movie in command of my flag ship. He needs to grow up and fast. I’ll buy that he is young and brash in this movie but we need to have the weight of command hit him like a ton of bricks.

Tone down Scotty:
Yes he made witty remarks in TOS but he was not the ship clown by any means…

The “ibridge”:
The “ibridge” was a little over the top, we are trying to avoid galaxy quest remember? Make the bridge more realistic, less itunes.

The Humor:
EXCLENT job with the subtle humor with Bones and Kirk, it felt like the old show, just watch it with Scotty and Chekov, some overt stuff is fine, to much makes me wonder how they got into Star Fleet.

More Substance:
Action is all well and good but Trek needs substance, if I wanted a bunch of action crammed down my throat I can go play Halo for 12 hours. Keep enough action to spice up the movie but balance it with character development, relevant topics (like dealing with racism or bigotry in the original) and explore what it is to be human and how we can work together to create a better future!

Don’t rehash old material:
You have gone to great means to set up a new universe for us to explore, don’t rehash Khan or something, go explore brave new world, and new civilizations… LIVE UP TO THE MOTTO THAT STARTED EVERY EPISODE OF TOS!!

More Nurse Chapel!

The Visual Effects where superb!

Engineering:
Dear god this is not the 1860’s, do we really need all of the pipes? Apparently engineering is just A SERIES OF TUBES! Lets see some organization so next time when we show Scotty trying save the ship we don just see him running around looking like he cant find anything.

Well those are my suggestions feel free to say what you like about my ramblings.

Last edited by Indestructible Object : 05-22-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by classsy View Post
ibridge? stfu already, scotty was fine the way he was. and everyone laughed, probably u were the only one sitting there with ur arms folding with a scowl on ur stupid face. stfu already, and u wonder why ppl hate nerds

its a god dam movie, they aint gonna explore nothing, theres gonna be conflict idiot. this guy is rehashing old complaints since the trailers came out.

obviously this is the biggest startrek movie ever. it doesn't need to change much, and esp not for u. whats next? the space battles were too cool therefor you hate it?
Yikes!
The toaster, don't forget to use the toaster.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Ensign

Fire everybody and start over with another reboot.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Vice Admiral

Ummm. no.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

WOW hold up sir! That's quite the extreme reaction!

I laughed at Scotty, I just personally thought he was a bit much! I don't wonder why people hate nerds... don't put word in my mouth thank you vary much! You seem to over react to people voicing an opnion, ever consider anger management? Try taking deep breaths... and counting to 10. I dont expect it to change for me, and it was a good movie... I said so at the start of the post... I have in fact I saw it 3 times. I was just voicing my opinion on some improvements I think they should make in the next movie, it just friendly advice not a personal attack on JJ n' co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classsy View Post
ibridge? whats next? the space battles were too cool therefor you hate it?
Ha! space battles to cool you say. You crack me up! No the battles where great, I'm just asking for more substance... for me there needs to be more "meat and potatoes" in my Trek not all "sugary deserts" if you get my metaphor.

So take a chill pill friend, no offense was meant in this post, you can lower your shields and stand down from red alert. I'm not so naive that I believe that the next movie would do any of the things I hope it will do. Will I go see it? Yeah! Will I enjoy it? Probably. I just prefer some other elements in my Trek Thats all. But I thank you for your comment, it's good to see people taking the time to calmly and politely express their opinion on this movie and it's sequel.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainApril View Post
Fire everybody and start over with another reboot.
Ha Ha! Totally unnecessary! The actors did a fine job, I just felt that they wrote Scotty a bit on the goofy side, but hey if it works for the majority of movie goers stick with it.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Ensign

Nah, too easy...
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Everybody is a critic.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Lieutenant

Your suggestion is reasonable, hope them can come true.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible Object View Post
My suggestions for the next movie are as follows:

More character development:
Look JJ I understand you had a lot to cram in… but Star Trek has always had lots of character development, don’t assume that this new old crew doesn’t need character development… because they do. If I was the head of Star Fleet I would NOT want the James T. Kirk that we saw at the end of the movie in command of my flag ship. He needs to grow up and fast. I’ll buy that he is young and brash in this movie but we need to have the weight of command hit him like a ton of bricks.
Agreed, though as this film 'set up' the characters I think some progression elements can be kept for the sequel.

Quote:
Tone down Scotty:
Yes he made witty remarks in TOS but he was not the ship clown by any means…

The “ibridge”:
The “ibridge” was a little over the top, we are trying to avoid galaxy quest remember? Make the bridge more realistic, less itunes.
I think these aspects come down to personal taste so there will always be a mix of those who did and didn't feel that worked.

Quote:
The Humor:
EXCLENT job with the subtle humor with Bones and Kirk, it felt like the old show, just watch it with Scotty and Chekov, some overt stuff is fine, to much makes me wonder how they got into Star Fleet.
Definitely keep the humor. I don't want po-faced Star Trek.

Quote:
More Substance:
Action is all well and good but Trek needs substance, if I wanted a bunch of action crammed down my throat I can go play Halo for 12 hours. Keep enough action to spice up the movie but balance it with character development, relevant topics (like dealing with racism or bigotry in the original) and explore what it is to be human and how we can work together to create a better future!
That would not go amiss. though I felt it's relative absence in this film wasn't a total hindrance.

Quote:
Don’t rehash old material:
You have gone to great means to set up a new universe for us to explore, don’t rehash Khan or something, go explore brave new world, and new civilizations… LIVE UP TO THE MOTTO THAT STARTED EVERY EPISODE OF TOS!!
Spot on!

Quote:
Engineering:
Dear god this is not the 1860’s, do we really need all of the pipes? Apparently engineering is just A SERIES OF TUBES! Lets see some organization so next time when we show Scotty trying save the ship we don just see him running around looking like he cant find anything.
Again an area where personal taste influences. I'm a junkie for the new industrial look of everything but that's only me!

Quote:
Well those are my suggestions feel free to say what you like about my ramblings.
Generally very fair suggestions methinks.

I had said when I saw it that the film was ranked around 2 or 3 overall for me (as I sometimes count TWOK and TSFS as one or two depending on my mood).

Just now I'm counting them as one togthere, so Star Trek (2009) is sitting comfortably at #2.

courtesy of Saquist