The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Issues should TrekXII Deal with?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Does that mean the rest of us can make fun of you behind your back?
yes
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinzow View Post

The aftereffects of the destruction caused by the Narada can be addressed.
Balls!!!

there will be no "addressing". iot will be a new story far from Earth
Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
Balls!!!

there will be no "addressing". iot will be a new story far from Earth
Well thats quite an order sir!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think the origins of the middle east conflict could be explored with the Vulcan holocaust survivors seeking a new planet to inhabit. Say there are already people on that planet who initially welcome the Vulcans but then they realize welcoming the Vulcans means the entire Federation tags along and pretty soon these Feds are bossing the locals around.

In addition, I'd like to see young Vulcans stuggle with whether to remain loyal to logic as a way of life. I'd like to see them struggle with a crisis of "faith" in their logic brought about by the destruction of their world. In their eyes, did logic fail? Did logic make them more vunerable to attack since they hadn't had any internal wars to keep them strong. I'd like to see some Vulcans turn away from logic and tempt Spock to do the same. There would be a strong pull on Spock from both sides - the traditionalist (Orthodox) Vulcans and these new (Athiest) sects popping up. One repects his father's Vulcan ways, the other embraces his mother's human emotions.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
I think the origins of the middle east conflict could be explored with the Vulcan holocaust survivors seeking a new planet to inhabit. Say there are already people on that planet who initially welcome the Vulcans but then they realize welcoming the Vulcans means the entire Federation tags along and pretty soon these Feds are bossing the locals around.

In addition, I'd like to see young Vulcans stuggle with whether to remain loyal to logic as a way of life. I'd like to see them struggle with a crisis of "faith" in their logic brought about by the destruction of their world. In their eyes, did logic fail? Did logic make them more vunerable to attack since they hadn't had any internal wars to keep them strong. I'd like to see some Vulcans turn away from logic and tempt Spock to do the same. There would be a strong pull on Spock from both sides - the traditionalist (Orthodox) Vulcans and these new (Athiest) sects popping up. One repects his father's Vulcan ways, the other embraces his mother's human emotions.
That sounds really good actually.

And here I thought all the original religious social commentary ideas were done already.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Ensign

I just thought about this...what if they introduced a younger version of Captain Stiles in the sequel (maybe he could be one of Kirk's rivals)?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinzow View Post
I just thought about this...what if they introduced a younger version of Captain Stiles in the sequel (maybe he could be one of Kirk's rivals)?
Just go with someone new.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

I hope that the next Trek movie will be as inventive and dynamic as this one. Perhaps it could add elements of mystery and intrigue to adventure and action. At the risk of incurring the ire of those who see Trek as exclusively intelectual, I think that the next movie should also have the significant involvement of space battles and similar spectacles. Further, there should be a cliffhanger at the end of it -- leaving the audience wanting more.

Imagine this: Kirk and crew embark on a journey of exploration. They meet and make friends with a new civilization by helping it achieve peace with a traditional enemy, only to come home to a Federation in utter disarray: The Klingons have launched a surprise attack. Intrigues and mysteries abound, and there is much opportunity for character development, but in the end, full-scale war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire is unavoidable.

As the audience watches in horror, and despite the Enterprise's participation and onscreen battles galore, the Federation has clearly lost.

Kirk, on an impulse, seeks help from his new friends. He believes they owe him a favor in return for what he has done for them. But upon his arrival, there is nothing there. Contacting Starfleet for guidance, he receives no response.

The last scene of the movie is of the Moon, spiraling crazily around in the orbit where the Earth used to be.

The Enterprise is utterly alone.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Some of these things you are talking about would normally take alot of time... years if you want to go by the 'alternate' TNG Klingon war example. Or by any of the other past wars such as with the Romulans. The only ones to get anywhere that fast were the Borg, Vger, the whale ship and of course Nero, and it was because of way more advanced technology than anybody else around. One thing they did was to conveniently disable all planetary defenses without firing a shot. Having this one over in a couple of weeks would be unbelievable unless you miraculously want to upgrade the Klingons technology considerably.

Besides... one of the principle arguments against XI is its speed. Yours would have to double that at least to make the scale believable and cram it all in. It is certainly a good potential story but would have to be one of those alt episodes like the bearded Riker fighting off the Borg, with everything set up and the feds having already lost.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Some of these things you are talking about would normally take alot of time... years if you want to go by the 'alternate' TNG Klingon war example. Or by any of the other past wars such as with the Romulans. The only ones to get anywhere that fast were the Borg, Vger, the whale ship and of course Nero, and it was because of way more advanced technology than anybody else around. One thing they did was to conveniently disable all planetary defenses without firing a shot. Having this one over in a couple of weeks would be unbelievable unless you miraculously want to upgrade the Klingons technology considerably.

Besides... one of the principle arguments against XI is its speed. Yours would have to double that at least to make the scale believable and cram it all in. It is certainly a good potential story but would have to be one of those alt episodes like the bearded Riker fighting off the Borg, with everything set up and the feds having already lost.
In the story I've just proposed, the Klingons would have used their cloaking technology to establish a formidable fleet formation just outside of Sector 001. Cloaked and ready for battle, the fleet strikes suddenly in a Pearl Harbor-type attack. Earth's defenses are NOT disabled, and therefore there is a battle royal, but nevertheless, two hundred and twenty-four Birds of Prey are more than a match for the twenty-seven Starfleet vessels within range at the time of the attack.

The Enterprise and thirty-one other Federation ships arrive, the remainder of the fleet having been dispersed in resettlement efforts for the Vulcans who have survived, both from their now-destroyed planet and offworld.

The battle begins anew. The Klingons suffer immense losses, but to them, attrition is a petty price to pay for conquest. Thanks to the heroics of Kirk and crew, the Romulans are shown to be complicit in this Klingon attack and indeed are shown directing it from behind the scenes. The Romulan Star Empire accuses the Federation, the Enterprise, and Spock Prime of temporal interference and on this pretext, have sent a vast fleet to reinforce the Klingons. In the meantime, other Federation races send help, but the distances are vast.

The forces of the Federation are greatly outnumbered.

Acting on a hunch and with encouragement from Spock Prime, Kirk takes the Enterprise to seek assistance from his new friends, whom he believes could make the difference.

This is when he discovers that his erstwhile friends are nowhere to be found... and then, that the Earth itself has inexplicably disappeared (cliffhanger).

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 05-31-2009 at 11:11 PM.