The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Official "I Love this Movie" Thread!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Commander

becauses it's fantastic and took TREK back to the good ol' days of Kirk and crew
Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Midshipman

I love the new Star Trek series because for the first time I feel a sense of wonder and mystery about the setting. Suddenly there's aliens that look really alien and thrills and laughs and two-fisted action.

I got so tired of the messed up continuity of the old shows--it'd just been around so long and had been pieced together so many times by so many different folks. It's nice to see something fresh and unexpected and not bogged down in gray-faced bureaucracy.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Count me in... It made me feel young again.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I love the movie ...

... because it felt so familiar like a wonderful and favourite TOS Episode I mysteriously must have missed so long ago when I was five.

I was five again and grown up at the same time and this special feeling was there again when the credits started - right there in my heart and soul.

What will happen next time? Oh, cannot wait ...
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Midshipman

It's just awesome how the movie shifted between being hilariously funny to genuinely tragic and touching. There's really a lot of depth to the movie. I also really dig how they were able to port in some of the things from other science fiction franchises but still have it feel very Trek (like the nod to Galaxy Quest with the new digital conveyer style "lock-on", or the new Star Wars-esque combat dynamics, light speed effects, and more genuinely alien aliens).

Just wonderful.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Ensign

It just made me feel like I felt when I first saw the original episodes: excited, feeling that the universe is full of possibilities again, and it was both funny and action-packed. And the casting & direction so wonderfully caught the spirit of the original actors without imitating them. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, and so was I.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimcleaver View Post
It's just awesome how the movie shifted between being hilariously funny to genuinely tragic and touching. There's really a lot of depth to the movie. I also really dig how they were able to port in some of the things from other science fiction franchises but still have it feel very Trek (like the nod to Galaxy Quest with the new digital conveyer style "lock-on", or the new Star Wars-esque combat dynamics, light speed effects, and more genuinely alien aliens).

Just wonderful.
VERY well said!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tribble View Post
Funny, when i first saw the second trailer I was almost determined to hate the film. But then i calmed down and remained optimistic, but cautious, until i saw the third trailer and became officially hyped!. Brilliant film. Had a few minor quibbles with it (steam leaking from the engineering pipes for one thing), but nothing to affect how good it was!

I certainly haven't seen a better film for a good few years
Well, now that Scotty's there on the Enterprise, I'm sure he will get Engineering straightened out, in a super-jiffy, don't you? ( and thanks to his little accident, I'm sure those pipes will be the first thing dealt with! Besides, something tells me that was not the engine room, where the core would be, it was a part of the life support systems, how else do you think they move water around the ship? even with sonic showers, some things on board are water cooled, I'm sure, to save energy.)

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

Great comments, everyone. Another theme I've picked up along the way is that, not only is this a great movie, it's also a fresh start for Trek. Instead of looking for old threads to pick up, this universe presents the possibility of a whole new tapestry of adventures for our gallant crew, in our most wonderful and favorite SF universe.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Ensign

I loved this movie because it was a very well balanced film, combining and juxtaposing many different elements, such as comedy, drama, romance, action; all these elements were blended together seamlessly, complimenting each other perfectly. I also loved the casting and acting, I thought the characterisation of Kirk and co was brilliant, bringing these characters to life again in a way which was familiar and awe-inspiring, particularly Karl Urban, Quinto and Pine. Of course as a sci-fi film special effects are very important to the fantasy and escapism and the special effects in this film are truly amazing!

But it wasn't just the big things which were done so well for me, it was the attention to the little things as well, the well placed humour, which was never over done but very funny such as Chekov's accent and Kirk's reaction to the injection he was given to get on board the Enterprise. The periodisation was great, I thought the uniforms and the Enterprise, especially the bridge were magnificent as well as the music being there in the background always complimenting, and in many ways, setting the atmosphere for each scene.

Long may this new 'Trek continue.