The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Official "I Love this Movie" Thread!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I love this movie because it is PERFECT!!!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

I love this movie because, like Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home before it, it made Trek COOL again!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

It's updating what I think was going out of date.
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Lieutenant

I loved this movie because it was about the characters I know and love, and took dangerous and risky steps that paid off big time
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission, to explore strange, new worlds. To seek out new life, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I loved it because it gave something I love new life; the birth pains were hell, but now that the baby is here, I love it! Long live STAR TREK... Long live ALL of the shows, and movies, too!!!

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Ensign

I love this movie because it reimagines the ST universe in a way that makes this new saga far more appealing (at least to me) in almost all measurable venues. It also has an immense potential that I think remains unique to itself when compared to anything else in the ST universe.

The new movie is a blast, plain and simple
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Ensign

Nice, going to watch it my second time this weekend, cannnnn't WAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't know why I love this movie, but as I have never seen any movie four times yet am going to see ST09 tonight for the fourth time, I obviously love it very much.

Let's keep trekkin`, folks.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

These are all great responses and it shows just how strong an impact this movie has had on practically everyone!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
I loved this movie because it's done what no other Star Trek movie since Wrath of Khan has done.

It made me cry, multiple times.

I truly cherish movies that evoke an emotional response from me, be it comedic, dramatic, sad, happy. This movie did it all for me.

And I truly do understand why they chose not to put the cerebral at the forefront of the movie(it was there but it wasn't HERE I AM, THINK DAMMIT!).

This movie was a way to set up a new universe, bring in new fans, and get the old fans interested again. I've never seen this much discussion about any other Star Trek movie ever. That's a good thing.

In order to cater for the newcomers, they had to somewhat reestablish the characters for those not familiar with them. The forefront of this movie was character development and rightfully so if this is to be an origin story/starting point.

If they jumped right into deep morality plays and the cerebral, it really wouldn't mean as much if the characters weren't well recieved by the audience. It would just seem...preachy. It's much easier to moralize with someone you like than with someone you don't like. Character development should always be first and the social commentary should come in as a close second, after, and only after the characters are established.

I'm glad that the movie took the direction it took. I am certain that now that the characters are established and the characters are well liked, then the more cerebral Trek can take place in future movies. But a cool space battle or two(or three) and some slapstick comedy are also welcome as well. Loved it.

And I absolutely love the fact that the movie is fun and energetic and optimistic. I love the portrayal of this future.

If you want deep, dark, depressing, edgy social commentary, go watch BSG.(BSG is awesome, but I do not want to see Trek become BSG).

If you want to have a good time, if you want to be happy, if you want to think a little more than usual, if you don't wan't to be preached at, go watch Star Trek.
I'm going to see if there's a way to pass this post off as my own - it's so akin to what I think about the film, Star Trek's requirements right now, and how I enjoyed the film.

Though I do love BSG with passion as well! (I like having my cake and eating it as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't know why I love this movie, but as I have never seen any movie four times yet am going to see ST09 tonight for the fourth time, I obviously love it very much.

Let's keep trekkin`, folks.
Don't question it - just go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
These are all great responses and it shows just how strong an impact this movie has had on practically everyone!
Truly, I think it's the most purely enjoyable film I've seen this year. I don't know yet if anything can beat it for simple pure fun!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Funny, when i first saw the second trailer I was almost determined to hate the film. But then i calmed down and remained optimistic, but cautious, until i saw the third trailer and became officially hyped!. Brilliant film. Had a few minor quibbles with it (steam leaking from the engineering pipes for one thing), but nothing to affect how good it was!

I certainly haven't seen a better film for a good few years