The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > terminator is a flop
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Or because his scripts had more intelligence underneath the explosions? And T3 didn't?
T3 basically negated the first two films. T1 was a great concept and film, I think Cmaeron originally had no intention of a sequel.

T2, slightly inferior to T1, he waited too long to make a sequel. Also why resue Arnold as the Terminator, anybody can play the part. They are made to resemble anyone.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Federation Councillor

Why Arnie?

It helped sell the second film - was he a bad terminator/a bad terminator?

Plus the Sarah Connor character wouldn't have had the same emotional journey in the film - to come to trust that which had tried to kill her before.

Arnie was a huge star then - would have been bad business not to have him repeat the role.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Why Arnie?

It helped sell the second film - was he a bad terminator/a bad terminator?

Plus the Sarah Connor character wouldn't have had the same emotional journey in the film - to come to trust that which had tried to kill her before.

Arnie was a huge star then - would have been bad business not to have him repeat the role.
T2-Arnold was a good guy. He was allready too old to play the part, Reese established in T1 that Terminators did and could resemble anyone. Why the same form?

T2 could have picked up right after T1, the adventures of Sarah and baby John Connor. But they went with Conner-The Teen Years.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
T2-Arnold was a good guy. He was allready too old to play the part, Reese established in T1 that Terminators did and could resemble anyone. Why the same form?
Recognition?

And as I said, no story for Sarah Connor if she doesn't get to confront the same thing that changed her life forever. No story of her coming to trust a machine. She has a history with the Arnie model, she has a reason not to trust, but she has to learn to in T2.

A generic other Terminator would have no such story options.

Quote:
T2 could have picked up right after T1, the adventures of Sarah and baby John Connor. But they went with Conner-The Teen Years.
What use is a baby? Admittedly stroppy L.A teen is a cliche that never works but, if he's just a little kid with no understanding of his situationa dn place in events there's no story of the Terminator almost becoming the father figure that John Conner never had. Ironically, since it was that same model that took his father's life before. There's also no story of John starting to exhibit the behaviour and attitude he will need to be the man who leads the resistance later.

He essentially learns to bond with that which killed his real father.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Recognition?

And as I said, no story for Sarah Connor if she doesn't get to confront the same thing that changed her life forever. No story of her coming to trust a machine. She has a history with the Arnie model, she has a reason not to trust, but she has to learn to in T2.

A generic other Terminator would have no such story options.

What use is a baby? Admittedly stroppy L.A teen is a cliche that never works but, if he's just a little kid with no understanding of his situationa dn place in events there's no story of the Terminator almost becoming the father figure that John Conner never had. Ironically, since it was that same model that took his father's life before. There's also no story of John starting to exhibit the behaviour and attitude he will need to be the man who leads the resistance later.

He essentially learns to bond with that which killed his real father.
The stroy could have centered on Sarah, and another threat from the future. I would assume Skynet would keep trying, especially if Connor is baby/small child and defenceless.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Commander

I've been very much on the fence regarding Salvation; on one hand it's got Bale....The Goddamn Batman vs. Skynet; on the other hand, the reviews I've read seem to negate him to a minor character after his intro and instead follow another character whom if I recall is a Terminator who thinks he's human......I'll catch it I think....but when it's on DVD.....I still have a TF film to consider, and that alone should fill my big F'in robots quota for the year.....that, and I grew up with em'........*sigh*
Old 05-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Rear Admiral

I read a reveiw ripped it to shreds. But gave Anton Yelchin glowing kudos for his performance in a relatively small part.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
T3 basically negated the first two films. T1 was a great concept and film, I think Cmaeron originally had no intention of a sequel.

T2, slightly inferior to T1, he waited too long to make a sequel. Also why resue Arnold as the Terminator, anybody can play the part. They are made to resemble anyone.

Star power ....baby.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

besides, Arnie had bought the rights to the series...no Arnie, no T2, was the way I heard it; Arnie didn't think anyone else could carry it off, and I think he was right.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant

This is a shame. I was really looking forward to T4, but these reviews doesn't make it sound promising. I'm still going to go see it, tho. Maybe I'll be surprised. Wouldn't be the first time I've liked a movie the critics hated.