The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > ST09 Changed OUR Universes Timeline as well
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default ST09 Changed OUR Universes Timeline as well

I was watching a movie called Fanboys today and basically it was about a gang of Star Wars fans. Anyways they were portrayed as nerdy but not too nerdy, likeable, sort of fellows. The trekkies in the movie were portrayed as the unsalvages type nerds that will never know the touch of a women.

I find it funny how now 10 years later, with the absolute debacle the Prequal Trilogy was and how awesome new trek is that basically the tides have turned.

Trekkies are now the relatively cool and hip/likeable nerds, and the hardcore star wars fanbase has been reduced to the womenphobic variety.

Bottom line, it's cool to be a Trek fan and uncool to be a Wars fan now. Who would have seen such a thing coming 11 years ago?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
Trekkies are now the relatively cool and hip/likeable nerds, and the hardcore star wars fanbase has been reduced to the womenphobic variety.
"Hardcore" nerd fans of either franchise are equally despicable in their behaviour and reputation, I think.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Indeed. And the "vs." argument NEVER has had any logical founding whatsoever. Threads like this only perpetuate the nonsense.

BTW, Fanboys is HILARIOUS and I urge everyone to go see it and embrace it for what it is. If some namecalling in a fictional piece of art insults you personally, then you might want to just stay home.

-JT
Old 05-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Lieutenant Commander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQj_bwMf7DM
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
That is absolutely hilarious. The spock moment tops it for me. And as for the others in the thread, I was merely pointing out how the mainstream perceptions are changing. Not inciting a riot between the 2 fandoms. The diehards have enough on their plates validating the Prequel trilogy and hating on ST11 to bother spilling each other's blood right now.

Last edited by Vagrant Zero : 05-21-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
I was watching a movie called Fanboys today and basically it was about a gang of Star Wars fans.
Yep!
Kristen Bell is hot as a brunette too.
That whole cross between "Sarah Michelle Gellar and Janeane Garofalo" Windows was looking for. Her Leia slave outfit was nice.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnyder4 View Post
Yep!
Kristen Bell is hot as a brunette too.
That whole cross between "Sarah Michelle Gellar and Janeane Garofalo" Windows was looking for. Her Leia slave outfit was nice.
My fiance wants to be wonder women for halloween this year and while she has everything to make it work (short of the rack ) I'm gonna do my best to talk her into a slave Leia outfit. Bell looked absolutely yummy in it.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Commander

Star Wars was a poorly written space opera. That's why Vader wears a cape. Lucas conceived the idea when he was very young and it shows. The epic, while having the capacity of being brilliant, was not carried out to its best, fullest extent.
Star Trek has the redeeming quality of having a plethora of writers who each have envisioned the Trek universe through their own experience, and this is why it is richer in it's variety. It has many of the same problems however, in that many times what was conceived of as Star Trek cannot be translated into the visual medium.

Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. As far as the geeks who cannot exist in the reality that is our world without the crutch of a fantasy to lean upon, I'm afraid you will always have those. Be kind to them, they just never learned how to be themselves, or be comfortable in their own skin so they go about in costume acting out scenes and reciting lines instead of forging their own future.

At 44 years of age I look back upon my childhood and remember what Star Wars and Star Trek did. They each contributed to the world in incredible ways. The special effects technology that Star Wars created changed the way we see movies today. Star Trek inspired an entire generation to "boldly go" and we see advances in science and technology that Trek has had a hand in. Look at your cell phone. How very like the Trek communicator. And Blackberry, and PDA, and iPhones have capabilities much like a tricorder. There are diagnostic scanners used in Dr's offices and hospitals that are very like what Dr. McCoy used.
Now our military is working on DEW as a means of harmlessly incapacitating enemies. The Directed Energy Weapon uses microwave bursts that penetrate to a few millimeters below the surface of the skin and produce a searing burning sensation. Effectively rendering an assailant incapable of aggression. Not exactly a PHASER but they just haven't figure out what kind of energy burst is necessary to stun someone like a phaser does.