The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Out of Character?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Commander

Default Out of Character?

Are there any scenes in which you felt that O.S. characters behaved in a way their older/tv counterparts would not have?

Granted, these are earlier versions of the characters and they have yet to evolve? into the characters they would become in the O.S., or perhaps, they are different characters altogether due to the alternate reality thing, but ultimately these versions of the characters were meant to represent the versions we know from the tv series and motion pictures from the 80s, just "younger" versions. And they (newer versions) were meant to be measured against those (older) versions of the characters.

I felt Spock was generally "too aggressive", and abandoning Kirk on the ice planet for me is something totally out of character for Spock, also when he first assigns Uhura to the U.S.S. Farrangut, to 'avoid an appearance of favoritism?" Then changes his "logical' mind when confronted by her seemed to me very Un-Spocklike.

There are other scenes involving different O.S. characters that just didn't feel right, but those two scenes involving Spock bothered me the most. Despite the fact that I luved Zachary Quinto as Spock. I just feel the writers just didn't quite get the character right.

Last edited by chator : 05-20-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post

I felt Spock was generally "too aggressive", and abandoning Kirk on the ice planet for me is something totally out of character for Spock, also when he first assigns Uhura to the Farrangut, to 'avoid an appearance of favoritism?" Then changes his "logical' mind when confronted by her.

There are other scenes involving different O.S. characters that just didn't feel right, but those two scenes involving Spock bothered me the most. Despite the fact that I luved Zachary Quinto as Spock. I just feel the writers just didn't quite get the character right.
well this is a younger Spock than the one we knew on TOS, still struggling to control his emotions, so to be fair it wasn't really out of character if you take into account Leonard Nimoy played Spock a lot differently in THE CAGE than in TOS
Old 05-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
well this is a younger Spock than the one we knew on TOS, still struggling to control his emotions, so to be fair it wasn't really out of character if you take into account Leonard Nimoy played Spock a lot differently in THE CAGE than in TOS
Yes, i realize this is a "more emotional" Spock, and loosing his planet and mother could affect him in unpredictable ways, but i still feel the character's essence is lost in these scenes and the scene where Spock nearly kills Kirk, which i didn't mention. But I don't want this thread to just be about Spock, i want to know if others didn't feel the O.S. characters were portrayed accurately in this movie, or if I'm the only one that thinks so.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Commander

Quote:
Yes, i realize this is a "more emotional" Spock, and loosing his planet and mother could affect him in unpredictable ways, but i still feel the character's essence is lost in these scenes and the scene where Spock nearly kills Kirk, which i didn't mention. But I don't want this thread to just be about Spock, i want to know if others didn't feel the O.S. characters were portrayed accurately in this movie, or if I'm the only one that thinks so.
in TOS Spock nearly killed Kirk more than once.

but I have to say, the actors did great jobs of keeping the characters the same as I knew without resorting to impersonations.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
But I don't want this thread to just be about Spock
It could end up only being about Spock if he's the only character people feel that way about.

Incidentally, I don't think he was out of character for the new timeline. Here's why:

Spock Prime spent years being alienated from his father because he chose Starfleet over the Vulcan Science Academy. This animosity on Sarek's part was taken to the extreme of refusing to even speak to Spock (which is not logical in itself, but shown in canon). As a result, during the period in Spock's life between entering Starfleet and when we meet him in TOS, he has tried to force himself entirely into the ideal Vulcan mold to please this same father. And Spock Prime NEVER heard his father say explicitly that he loved his mother; just that marrying her was "the logical thing to do."

Now, the Spock of the alternate timeline we see in the new movie may have started out the same way, but shortly into his Starfleet career, Vulcan is destroyed and his mother is killed. This event prompts his father to not only begin speaking to his son again, but ALSO to bluntly admit (without hedging) that yes, he did love Spock's mother. This not only frees young Spock from trying to deny his human tendencies; it gives him permission to express his emotions because he now has hard evidence that even full Vulcans can express them.

We do not see Spock act out any overt affection for Uhura (or anyone else) until AFTER he has gotten this confirmation from his father. During the earlier scene in the elevator, he remains entirely within the bounds of the character's reactions in TOS.

Last edited by Sohna : 05-20-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
in TOS Spock nearly killed Kirk more than once.
Yes, wasn't there a scene where he almost killed him in an almost identical fashion (i.e. Kirk had to make Spock show his emotions?) The only difference was that after the first hit, Spock realized what he was doing and stopped, because Kirk was his FRIEND. The Spock in STXI is NOT yet friends with Kirk during their fight.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
Yes, wasn't there a scene where he almost killed him in an almost identical fashion (i.e. Kirk had to make Spock show his emotions?) The only difference was that after the first hit, Spock realized what he was doing and stopped, because Kirk was his FRIEND. The Spock in STXI is NOT yet friends with Kirk during their fight.
the episode is the one where the crew munities after being infected by the spores.
Kirk makes Spock angry by disespecting his Mom (again), and no it wasn't just one hit. Spock wiped the transporter room with Kirk's ar*e and only stopped himself just before the killer blow.
he would have killed Kirk in the movie if not for Sarek.
very much in keeping with Spock's internal conflict.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
"What can you expect from a simpering, devil-eared freak, whose father was a computer and whose mother was an encyclopedia?"
LOL!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
"Does she know what she's getting, Spock? A carcass full of memory banks who should be squatting on a mushroom instead of passing himself off as a man. You belong in a circus, Spock, not a starship – right next to the dog-faced boy."
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Scotty was a wee bit too silly for my tastes. The whole bit with the dog and the little alien guy. Even when Jimmy Doohan portraying Scotty drunk he never acted silly.