The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Is Star Trek (2009) Roddenberry-style Trek?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohna View Post
Being flogged to death with a moral every time I watch a show isn't my idea of good entertainment.
the only TNG episodes I recall that didn't try push a moral in my face were QWho? and BOBW.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Commander

With Gene R. and R. Berman, Gene's handpicked successor, out of the picture, Trek can become what I feel it has become in this movie, just another pop-culture fad to be exploited by the money-hungry studios. I think Abrams has brought Gene's vision of the future to life in ways no other director has, production-wise. But what he's also given us is a Trek that is more visual effects, action-oriented, than message based. That's what's popular, that's what sells, a Star Trek that is more like Star Wars.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGElder View Post
Trek will always be more thinking than other contemporary Sci-Fi like Aliens and Predator, and the like. I think that the deeper episodes in all of the TREK series has borne out that there will always be issues that TREK will address. The world we now live in will always be reflected by the media we watch. Sometimes it will be a lot of fluff, maybe a bunch of action with little food for thought, and likewise there will always be writers who will challenge us with stories that make us question our own existence, and the meanings of our lives.
Aliens, etc. aren't sci-fi. they are fantasy.

TREK sometimes gave food thought I'll agree, but "question our existence" and "meanings of our lifes"??
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Trek is definitely a conglomeration of Gene's vision and the Network preasure.
But notice that Gene still tried to push that vision in the Motion Picture. He never gave up on it. He tried again with TNG's encounter at Farpoint. He again attempted to address super power or higher powers in DS9's opener.
Well, there you have it. My least favorite Trek consists of PRECISELY:

TMP
Encounter at Farpoint
DS9 opening

(and Nemesis, which I can't blame on Mr. Roddenberry)

So I guess if you say the new show is not something Gene would have done, then I should be happy about it.

Oddly enough, I had no problem with "Where No Man Has Gone Before," except that it seemed (even at the time) to be such a stock plot.

I really think that what was meant in that quote of Shatner's that someone put up was that Gene was interested in making believable sci-fi INSTEAD OF BUG-EYED MONSTERS or cliched characters like Zachary Smith. We tend to lose sight of the sheer awfulness of science fiction on TV and film of that day.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
With Gene R. and R. Berman, Gene's handpicked successor, out of the picture, Trek can become what I feel it has become in this movie, just another pop-culture fad to be exploited by the money-hungry studios.
friend, do you really think Berman, and even Rodddenberry, weren't interested in a little green? do you think they are more above greed than studio, or us?
berman made Nemisis remember.
TREK has always been a part of pop culture.
the new movie was very much in the tradition of TOS. adventure, fun, honour, friendship.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Ensign

Comparing Trek to Aliens as well as the Predator movies is very premature. How can you accurately compare a multi-movie, tv series show to another that only comprised of four movies?

As for this being Gene's Star Trek, nope not all it's differenent cause it's JJ Abrahms now

Quote:
Trek will always be more thinking than other contemporary Sci-Fi like Aliens and Predator, and the like. I think that the deeper episodes in all of the TREK series has borne out that there will always be issues that TREK will address. The world we now live in will always be reflected by the media we watch. Sometimes it will be a lot of fluff, maybe a bunch of action with little food for thought, and likewise there will always be writers who will challenge us with stories that make us question our own existence, and the meanings of our lives.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Ensign

Aliens isn't SCI FI?

Really?

Curious DammitJim, what's your definition of sci fi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post

TREK sometimes gave food thought I'll agree, but "question our existence" and "meanings of our lifes"??
Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Trek is definitely a conglomeration of Gene's vision and the Network preasure.
But notice that Gene still tried to push that vision in the Motion Picture. He never gave up on it. He tried again with TNG's encounter at Farpoint. He again attempted to address super power or higher powers in DS9's opener.

But I'm okay with Gene's trek and the company's view too...but I want a halfway point.
THE CAGE may have Roddenberry's original intention but who can say it would have superior to TOS.
TNG is what he was trying for originally at the time, apparently, but it's not a patch on the KIRK era.
FARPOINT was a silly episode. even Riker and Picard said so at the end.
Roddenberry died before any work was done in putting DS9 together.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Commander

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post

Sure, just look back at some of the heavy topics covered by TOS. A lot of those things hinged on the time in which they were written. Like "A Private Little War", that examined the dangers of our involvement in Viet Nam and Cambodia. Or TNG: "The Perfect Mate" talk about self sacrifice for a greater good. Or what about the episode where Luxana Troi falls in love with a character played by David Ogden Stiers who must die because it is his appointed time.

There are lots of thinking issues TREK has handled. We must hold out hope that the people who write TREK will understand the audience who watches TREK.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Sure, just look back at some of the heavy topics covered by TOS. A lot of those things hinged on the time in which they were written. Like "A Private Little War", that examined the dangers of our involvement in Viet Nam and Cambodia. Or TNG: "The Perfect Mate" talk about self sacrifice for a greater good. Or what about the episode where Luxana Troi falls in love with a character played by David Ogden Stiers who must die because it is his appointed time.
What about Spock's Brain?