The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > nero was too casual for a romulan
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Commander

Not mean Vulcans, Vulcan's who chose passion over logic and completely distanced themselves from Vulcan society, kind of like Sybok but even more given to their agressive tendencies,

As for Nero...terrible terrible villain, his informality made him sound like he didn't care what happen then again maybe that was the point.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Lieutenant

Most Romulans we've seen in the series have been Admirals, Captains, and politicians.

Nero was just a miner.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Rear Admiral

The juxtaposition of his casual and almost lighthearted tone with the deadly viciousness he'd already seen and his genocidal intent made it for me. He made me cringe and he made me laugh. In TWOK after the Ceti Alpha worms crawl into Chekov and his Captain's ears and and their screaming dies down to wimpering, the way Kahn says "That's better." always cracks me up. He made me cringe and he made me laugh.

As a villain I like Nero.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Ensign

I liked the casual greetings, I think it had the effect of thowing the crew off balance in response. BTW, what happened to Nero's right ear during the movie?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
I liked the casual greetings, I think it had the effect of thowing the crew off balance in response. BTW, what happened to Nero's right ear during the movie?
There isn't an onscreen explanation for the ear. They had scenes where the Klingons captured Nero after the Narada had been damaged by Kirk' father but cut them to streamline the movie and not throw to many different "bad guys" into the story. The ear was a probably an injury from fighting Klingons (or Mike Tyson). Probably the right decision to edit that story arc out, although many of us would like to see that battle between Nero and the 47 Klingon ships.

Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin : 05-27-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
... Probably the right decision to edit that story arc out, although many of us would like to see that battle between Nero and the 47 Klingon ships.
Do we know for sure the mangling of the ear is shown in the Rura Penthe scenes? One would logically assume so but do we know for sure? I hope they do a good job with the DVD/BR.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Do we know for sure the mangling of the ear is shown in the Rura Penthe scenes? One would logically assume so but do we know for sure? I hope they do a good job with the DVD/BR.
No, we don't know it for sure, But I think Nero's ear is intact when he is first introduced in the opening scenes. And since we know that there were deleted scenes involving Klingons, and haven't heard of any other battles, it's a pretty reasonable assumption.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

But since what only makes it to screen is what counts, we are left to imagine that part of Nero's story any way we want too, as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default nero's ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
BTW, what happened to Nero's right ear during the movie?
How do we know it's from a battle. Rura Penthe is on an ice planet. My cat had the tip of one of his ears froze off one cold winter day in Northern MN. Maybe he got frost bite.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Rear Admiral

Yep, Capt. Tom, I hope like a lot of us do that we'll get a DVD/BR at least some of the other scenes shot edited into the movie. An edit closer to what JJ had in mind earlier. In fact I'm counting on it!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'