The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Fan feelings: similar to TUC?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
It was a big risk actually. Could have backfired easily. If he had changed canon, fans would be screaming for his blood. Trek is full of alternate realities, what's one more?
Risky? You said it.
Trek is full of alternate realities and there is nothing wrong with it. How is that risky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero View Post
LOL comparing ANY trek to BSG is just plain stupid. The BEST Trek episodes from any of the series are right around the absolute bottom barrel worst eps from BSG and it's best episodes like 33 are playing in a completely different league.

Not exactly a fit comparison.
That's why it's a perfect comparison.
Mediocre just can't compare to excellence.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
This about quality not about change..
Star Trek strived for a high quality of life for all in the Federation.
Trek should shoot for high quality of plot and style.

Don't you know...
If this film had shot for the moon and missed it'd still be up in the stars.
It didn't do that...It made orbit..

Aw give it some credit. It made it out to one of the Lagrange points, at least.

(only knows what those are because she loves Gundam Wing)

(...I think I must be one of the few people here who had/has no interest in BSG and never watched it. *shrugs* Too dark for me.)
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Yeah Trek has been mediocre for a long time.
But what has changed?

Can you honestly put this Trek up there with the new BSG?
NuBSG is/was absolutely fantastic. NuTrek can't compare. The SFX are right up there, but the story/plot/character development, etc. are severely lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Any film could be "better", I think they made a great movie first, as great Trek film second. JJ tried really hard not to step all over established canon by having an alternate timeline, whic has ben a Trek staple since 1966.
In a way, I agree. I think they were more interested in making a big time summer blockbuster than an actual Star Trek movie. But I don't think he tried very hard not to step all over established canon. Just the opposite. I believe it was his intention to step all over the established Star Trek continuity. He just used the alternate reality plot as an excuse. That's my opinion.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
In a way, I agree. I think they were more interested in making a big time summer blockbuster than an actual Star Trek movie. But I don't think he tried very hard not to step all over established canon. Just the opposite. I believe it was his intention to step all over the established Star Trek continuity. He just used the alternate reality plot as an excuse. That's my opinion.
You're probably right - Paramount wanted a summer blockbuster. And they got what they wanted via Abrams.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
Actually, I tend to think being a major hit points to a film's mediocrity. Let's face it though, we shouldn't pretend this new Trek movie is anything too exciting. I liked it a lot, and the reboot has the potential to turn into something great, but it's a pretty basic action flick set in space.
Yepp. I mean, imagine the movie would have been about a bunch of Cops stoping a mad terrorist... no movie critic would have given it any good reviews beyond 2 stars out of 5. It was Star Trek, thats why the critics loved it and its visuals are great. But I do remember that many critics said they expect more from a possible sequel, now that all the characters are in place.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
NuBSG is/was absolutely fantastic. NuTrek can't compare. The SFX are right up there, but the story/plot/character development, etc. are severely lacking.

I'd wager that we wouldn't have seen a Trek Movie at all if they didn't go in this direction.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Federation Councillor

Well at the end of the day, maybe someone else could have a made a movie that would please everyone (I doubt it, but it's not impossible), but Paramount made their choice - the way they did for all the others.

Take the film or leave it - but it's there regardless.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Being cliche' here but I don't think there can be an apples-to-apples comparison here. I love, love, love NuBSG(love that. Yours?) but I think the film had superior SFX of the two (no surprise considering comparative the buget differential) and Galactica had hours and hours for s/p/c development, Trek had two. And JJ did an excellent job, ATC, IMHO.

Quote:
Sure he wanted a blockbuster. He wanted the movie to do as well as it possibly could but as to 'summer blockbuster', remember it wasn't even originally supposed to be released when it was. The studio decided the film was a 'summer blockbuster' - type contender.

And it seems to me he tried very hard to respect canon while at same time altering it. I think he succeeded.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Yeah Trek has been mediocre for a long time.
But what has changed?

Can you honestly put this Trek up there with the new BSG?
I know that some old school BSG fans have put this movie well above the new BSG simply because, in their view, the characters seemed truer to their original series counterparts (or at least evolved into them over the course of 126 minutes), and that the characters were actually likable, as opposed to the new BSG characters, who seemed constantly ensnared in dysfunction and throat cuttery. (Personally, I love the new BSG, but I just thought I'd share the views of some of my old school BSG friends.)

As for me, for pure entertainment, yes, the new Trek is right up there with the new BSG! And in the end, that's all that ANY movie or show is about...entertainment. Lofty ideals, action, and hamhanded preaching be damned.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
Aw give it some credit. It made it out to one of the Lagrange points, at least.
When did ZZ Top enter into the equation?

(runs....hides)