The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Fan feelings: similar to TUC?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Midshipman

Default Fan feelings: similar to TUC?

I'm like some folks here who frequently read but never post anything, but now just had get thoughts of others on an observation. I just have one question to ask ALL ST fans, new and old, purist or progressive: do you guys feel like we collectively are playing out similar to the feeling of actors in the TUC movie (The Undiscovered Country), which presumably portray real life situations? Most embrace change, while few have fear and "stand to lose" from the change (peace in TUC). I think the "stand to lose" can apply to those fans fearing lost or change to the parts of the Star Trek that they loved and held on dear?

In a way, this new film is taking this "Star Trek Nation" to an "Undiscovered" territory....

Thoughts?

Background: I was born on same year TOS started on film. Loved all movies from both TOS and TNG crew. I watched many TOS episodes here and there, and most of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. I embrace the and appreciate the themes of each. Personally I liked DS9 the least but still loved some episodes. And I love Star Trek more than Star Wars for sure..and I still love this movie and watched it 6 times already!

Last edited by 1701A2E : 05-20-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

This about quality not about change..
Star Trek strived for a high quality of life for all in the Federation.
Trek should shoot for high quality of plot and style.

Don't you know...
If this film had shot for the moon and missed it'd still be up in the stars.
It didn't do that...It made orbit..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Don't you know...
Nice analogy.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Vice Admiral

i respectfuly disagree,this was a quality film,both in plot and effects,actualy the story was stronger than the effects,locations were vast,every other star trek , (except the excellent undisc country) was shorter in scope,again the story was strong cause it focused on its character,sulu the swordsman,chekov the 17 th year old genious,uhura the gorgeous,mckoy and scotty,and pike,even scotty's little pal was respectable,kirk the warrior , and spock who struggles between emotion and logic,nero was as good as chang,and starfleet as an organizatiion was even better and complex than tos,the destruction of vulcan is a landmark as strong as the khitomer accords or the borg invasion or the death of spock,something like that should have happened to shake, us the fans and to make us realize that nothing is certain but also to remind us thaat there are always possibilities
Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Ensign

Quote:
It's an action adventure movie. People have low expectations about things like plot when it comes to action adventure movies.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701A2E View Post
I'm like some folks here who frequently read but never post anything, but now just had get thoughts of others on an observation. I just have one question to ask ALL ST fans, new and old, purist or progressive: do you guys feel like we collectively are playing out similar to the feeling of actors in the TUC movie (The Undiscovered Country), which presumably portray real life situations? Most embrace change, while few have fear and "stand to lose" from the change (peach in TUC). I think the "stand to lose" can apply to those fans fearing lost or change to the parts of the Star Trek that they loved and held on dear?

In a way, this new film is taking this "Star Trek Nation" to an "Undiscovered" territory....

!

dude, that's awesome. you've hit the nail on the head.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
This about quality not about change..
Star Trek strived for a high quality of life for all in the Federation.
Trek should shoot for high quality of plot and style.

Don't you know...
I'm not sure the bulk of the fans, new and old agree with you. In their minds, many other recent movies and TV episodes, using your analogy, missed the stars and either just made orbit or even crashed and burned. The proof is in the pudding....in viewership (including re-runs) and hard $$$. This movie made the moon as intended and plenty to go beyond, again, by cold hard facts of unprecedented positive reviews, well speculated high number of repeat paid movie goers, and bottom line $$$. This will also likely bring on large new fan base and open doors for new fans to see old films.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah Trek has been mediocre for a long time.
But what has changed?

Can you honestly put this Trek up there with the new BSG?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Any film could be "better", I think they made a great movie first, as great Trek film second. JJ tried really hard not to step all over established canon by having an alternate timeline, whic has ben a Trek staple since 1966.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Yeah Trek has been mediocre for a long time.
But what has changed?

Can you honestly put this Trek up there with the new BSG?
Apparently something has changed for this "mediocre" film compare to previous, or else why would this movie already a major hit after less than two weeks in theaters while others "medicore" Star Trek were getting their mediocre results (again, viewship, $$$)?

Can't speak for the new BSG. I never watched even the originals. I have just been a die hard Star Trek fan because of the quality of plot and the technical emphasis on ships and command structures. And I see every bit in this new movie. The added actions and technology is a major welcome also!