The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Look like the bridge is on the BOTTOM of the saucer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyluvs View Post
Do you think they had force fields in the movie to protect them should that happen?

I also remember Robau saying "polarize the view screen."
I assumed he mainly said that so that he could get VUD.
I'm not sure about the forcefields. If they did have them, I'm not sure Kirk would scream 'do it do it do it' so urgently when he saw the viewscreen cracking.

And yeah, I think the polarisation is just standard linear light polarisation, reducing the glare from outside.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-CollinsTWC View Post
I was just weirded out that they went ahead and made the screen an window... kinda makes the bridge crew feel exposed.
The bridge is a prominent bubble on top of the saucer. You can't get more exposed.
Might as well paint a big bullseye on it! LOL

My Blog: http://lcarsgfx.wordpress.com
Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-CollinsTWC View Post
Well yeah having your screen not be a window isn't a guarantee... but it sure does help! Wearing body armor in Iraq also isn't a gaurantee that you'll come out fine.

I'm not sure about the 'transparent aluminum' though... isn't aluminum a rather weak metal? It was certainly made out of something tough. The bridge structure did start breaking apart before the view screen... but once that started cracking... oh noes!
I've no idea what actual material they made the viewscreen out of, but transparent aluminium has come up repeatedly throughout Trek history, so that would be my immediate guess. I think the fictional Trek TA is tougher than standard aluminium.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
I've no idea what actual material they made the viewscreen out of, but transparent aluminium has come up repeatedly throughout Trek history, so that would be my immediate guess. I think the fictional Trek TA is tougher than standard aluminium.
It's transparent duranium -- ten times stronger than regular duranium and much tougher even than diamond. However, it's also ten times more expensive to manufacture than nontransparent duranium.

I have said it, so let that be so!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Ensign

Nice take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
I'm not sure about the forcefields. If they did have them, I'm not sure Kirk would scream 'do it do it do it' so urgently when he saw the viewscreen cracking.

And yeah, I think the polarisation is just standard linear light polarisation, reducing the glare from outside.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
It's transparent duranium -- ten times stronger than regular duranium and much tougher even than diamond. However, it's also ten times more expensive to manufacture than nontransparent duranium.

I have said it, so let that be so!

LoL

It is so!
Visit my gallery
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

There's canonical evidence that the viewscreen in TOS is actually transparent. Remember that episode when the Enterprise was shrunk by an alien to tabletop size? Someone (gigantic) was looking inside it from the front and apparently could see what was in the bridge. I can't remember the name of the episode.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Ensign

Quote:
There's canonical evidence that the viewscreen in TOS is actually transparent. Remember that episode when the Enterprise was shrunk by an alien to tabletop size? Someone (gigantic) was looking inside it from the front and apparently could see what was in the bridge. I can't remember the name of the episode.
I remember the episode, but I also can't recal it's name... partly because it was such a bad episode...

But that does support the 'window' cannon.
Visit my gallery
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Say, this brings up the question of how they keep the window clean. Lots of Windex? Are there window wipers on that thing?

Of course, 23d Century tech probably means that space dust is ionized away before it has a chance to settle onto the window, or (insert technobabble).

(But what about space bug spatter?)
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Commander

Quote:
Say, this brings up the question of how they keep the window clean. Lots of Windex? Are there window wipers on that thing?

Of course, 23d Century tech probably means that space dust is ionized away before it has a chance to settle onto the window, or (insert technobabble).

(But what about space bug spatter?)
They probably have a layer of 23rd-century nanograss on the viewer.