The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Look like the bridge is on the BOTTOM of the saucer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
lonstar70 lonstar70 is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 320
Default Look like the bridge is on the BOTTOM of the saucer

When Pike has to leave the bridge with Kirk and Sulu, the camera pans OUT and away of the viewscreen/window, out and around the Enterprise, and it looks like the bridge is the bubble on the bottom of the saucer, not the top. I know, I know, this goes against an earlier scene where we can see the top forward part of the saucer when they go to warp. Maybe the camera view weint THRU the saucer to then pan down to the bottom view and away. I dunno. Seemed weird. Blooper?
__________________
Captain Kirk to the Enterprise in "The Naked Time":

"I'll never lose you!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
lonstar70 lonstar70 is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 320
Default

Nevermind. Now that I think about it, JJ did a a really cool job of showing that there was no "up and down" in space. The scene I was talking about was ""upside down" from our POV. So it was on top of the saucer.
__________________
Captain Kirk to the Enterprise in "The Naked Time":

"I'll never lose you!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
WarpFactorX's Avatar
WarpFactorX WarpFactorX is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 52
Default

I had to take a double look too, that shot confused me for a second or two. But yet the ship was upside down to our pov, a very nice touch. They really did a good job at making space seem realistic, with the no up or down shot and the silence in space sequence.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 PM
lonstar70 lonstar70 is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpFactorX View Post
I had to take a double look too, that shot confused me for a second or two. But yet the ship was upside down to our pov, a very nice touch. They really did a good job at making space seem realistic, with the no up or down shot and the silence in space sequence.
Absolutely! They demonstrated that in several scenes!
__________________
Captain Kirk to the Enterprise in "The Naked Time":

"I'll never lose you!"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
Nevermind. Now that I think about it, JJ did a a really cool job of showing that there was no "up and down" in space. The scene I was talking about was ""upside down" from our POV. So it was on top of the saucer.
yup!!
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
skippyluvs's Avatar
skippyluvs skippyluvs is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stuck on Earth at the moment
Posts: 95
Default

Yup, the SFX folks thought it through alright.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
A-CollinsTWC's Avatar
A-CollinsTWC A-CollinsTWC is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 85
Default

I was just weirded out that they went ahead and made the screen an window... kinda makes the bridge crew feel exposed.
__________________
Who are you?
What do you want?
Why are you here?
Visit my gallery
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Thascales Thascales is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-CollinsTWC View Post
I was just weirded out that they went ahead and made the screen an window... kinda makes the bridge crew feel exposed.
You've just got to remember that the viewscreen is still several inches of transparent aluminium. Remember when the ship was breaking apart due to the black hole, the ceiling starting cracking open before the viewscreen did. And Nemesis demonstrated pretty soundly that not having a window is no guarantee of safety. :P
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
skippyluvs's Avatar
skippyluvs skippyluvs is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stuck on Earth at the moment
Posts: 95
Default

Do you think they had force fields in the movie to protect them should that happen?

I also remember Robau saying "polarize the view screen."
I assumed he mainly said that so that he could get VUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
You've just got to remember that the viewscreen is still several inches of transparent aluminium. Remember when the ship was breaking apart due to the black hole, the ceiling starting cracking open before the viewscreen did. And Nemesis demonstrated pretty soundly that not having a window is no guarantee of safety. :P
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
A-CollinsTWC's Avatar
A-CollinsTWC A-CollinsTWC is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thascales View Post
You've just got to remember that the viewscreen is still several inches of transparent aluminium. Remember when the ship was breaking apart due to the black hole, the ceiling starting cracking open before the viewscreen did. And Nemesis demonstrated pretty soundly that not having a window is no guarantee of safety. :P
Well yeah having your screen not be a window isn't a guarantee... but it sure does help! Wearing body armor in Iraq also isn't a gaurantee that you'll come out fine.

I'm not sure about the 'transparent aluminum' though... isn't aluminum a rather weak metal? It was certainly made out of something tough. The bridge structure did start breaking apart before the view screen... but once that started cracking... oh noes!
__________________
Who are you?
What do you want?
Why are you here?
Visit my gallery
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.