The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Old vs. New Continuity in ST Novels...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Midshipman

Default Old vs. New Continuity in ST Novels...

Wonder how they'll handle the "new continuity" in the Star Trek novels?

They've throttled back on the number released each year, but you can always count on great stories based on TOS, TNG, etc.

So will they keep turning out stories based on the old series in the old timeline? Or focus on the new timeline? And how will they help readers keep track of what "era" the story is written in?

I personally LOVED the new movie and think it sets up endless possibilities in the new timeline; but I also will always love the other series and hope they keep publishing novels for the "other" continuity.

I think there's room enough for both continuities and we're all sharp enough to keep track of where we're at for any given novel....

Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think it will open up some interesting possibilties in the Prime universe with Romulus being destroyed. Wonder what the Romulan fleet will do with itself now that home is gone?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
I think it will open up some interesting possibilties in the Prime universe with Romulus being destroyed. Wonder what the Romulan fleet will do with itself now that home is gone?
I assume now the Romulus is gone, that Remus is gone as well, this could be the start of a good series of books...hard to imagine them and the Vulcans as a culture without a home like the Cherokee during the Trail of tears.

This could prove to be a HUGE point for the prime directive, since now they are a people without a home...i'm thinking here...would they be like those who were driven from their homes due to the Cardassians?

Btw, that episode of TNG was written very well except I hated the rebels....I just wanted to smack them around as they were poorly handled.
Except for the Bajoran Ent-D crew member..forget her name, she was an exceptional character.