The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The box office numbers do not lie...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

In addition to traditional male audiences, the movie also appealed to women, as well, with its perfectly written, perfectly filmed first 15 minutes.

Even the opening title was amazing!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by second_coming View Post
I wonder if some of this is "herd" mentality, i.e, the media is loving the film, a few trend-setters in the media are loving it, it's now "retro-cool" to like ST, so now everyone in their mall theatre in the middle of nowhere feels to be part of the cool team they have to like it also.

And please don't waste the board's time with counts of the volume gross sales for the film, my local theatre is $12.5 per ticket, so comparing it to TWOK sales when it came out at an average price of $5 in 1982 just doesn't make sense.
"Herd mentality"? Maybe for the first and second weekend. Word of mouth will prove whether or not that is the case beyond that. I'm curious about the next couple of weeks as it competes against "Terminator".

"I'll never lose you!"
Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Admiral

My 14 year old daughter, who previously thought Star Trek was "stupid", has seen it 4 times (I've only seen it 3 times!). The first night we saw it as a family and as we were walking out a little kid, maybe 6 said "WOW!!!"...we all laughed and cheered...it was "Star Trek, the newest generation of fans."

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Ensign

That's great news to hear.
It's amazing the power that 'word of mouth' has. It's extent is a great measure of the quality of a movie and positive reception to the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonstar70 View Post
This movie is a hit, and ST almost held first place again against "D&A" by only 3 million. That demonstrates good word of mouth. I wonder how much of this was due to NEW FANS (which is wonderful!) or Trekkers going to see it again?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Ensign

During the 4th time I went to see the movie (I haven't done a 5th... yet...) I decided to look around to see who was watching the movie with my little gang...

To my surprise the theater was filled with Dads and... daughters...

I'm not joking. There were 20-somethings like myself and crew... and then there were dads and daughters (daughters as in the 12-15 yo variety).

It was... weird...
Visit my gallery
Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-CollinsTWC View Post
During the 4th time I went to see the movie (I haven't done a 5th... yet...) I decided to look around to see who was watching the movie with my little gang...

To my surprise the theater was filled with Dads and... daughters...

I'm not joking. There were 20-somethings like myself and crew... and then there were dads and daughters (daughters as in the 12-15 yo variety).

It was... weird...
Again, I think that the first 15 minutes had that magic that appeals to a lot of women. It's the same thing as in the Titanic movie, where that kid played by Leo DiCaprio sinks into the icy depths. Sacrificing oneself for one's woman -- it brings them in, apparently. And why not? It's chivalry.

In fact, I think that there was a write-up on the 'Net about where have all the Kirks gone in real life.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
With respect, Nemesis was awful, just a terrible film. A guy from a slave mine is able to kill the entire romulan senate, miraculously gets a hold of a ship that is far more powerful than the federation flagship - one that was just built, mind you, and for some reason - just HAS to destroy the earth? Yeah, that was an original plot.

It did poorly for the same reasons ST:ENT did, CRAPPY writing.
Oh, believe me, I've come to appreciate the many flaws that Nemesis bears. What I found ironic is that the story was written by a guy who claimed to be a Star Trek fan (John Logan...I loved Gladiator), and ended up writing it fanboyishly.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by second coming
And please don't waste the board's time with counts of the volume gross sales for the film, my local theatre is $12.5 per ticket, so comparing it to TWOK sales when it came out at an average price of $5 in 1982 just doesn't make sense.
Respectfully, when factoring in the economy of the times, there is at least a comparison that can be made as far as "voting with the wallet".

Wrath of Khan was a universal hit for its time, and yeah, 5 quid at the box office sounds about right. I don't think folks were feeling as major an economic crunch as they do now.

Now, in today's economy, paying anywhere from $9.50 to $12.50/ticket (and even more in IMAX showings), one would think it's absolutely crazy to go and see a movie on the big screen more than once. And yet, it would appear that many folks have gone to see this film on multiple occasions. I've seen it four times meself, twice in IMAX. That crowds are thumbing their noses at this recession to go see something they really enjoy I think speaks volumes for the quality that this movie has put out, and indeed speaks volumes for Star Trek itself.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
What else does the board have but time. Look at the "Size of the Enterprise" thread. 115+ pages.

Waste Away!

Last edited by Jim in St. Louis : 05-20-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Ensign

AS far as ST's competition for moviegoers this weekend, Terminator has been getting really bad reviews. It's Rotten Tomatoes' rating is dismal, which is a shame because I've been waiting for this film. I think the real threat will be from Night At the Museum 2.